A Cautionary Tale

Vancouver, BC(Zone 7a)

I have been debating writing this note for some time. Here goes. For those not familiar with the recent problems the Brugmansia forum has run into, I will summarize. A commercial grower who was active on Dave's garden ran into some disease problems. She thought that the problem might originate with people with whom she had traded. So, she seemed to feel she should have your plant 'police' swoop down on someone she suspected of having imported a plant seed or cutting without documentation. (You can check back through their forum yourself) Needless to say, it was a very upsetting situation for all involved. I must say I applaud Dave for summarily dismissing her from the forum.
However, the point is that it can happen when business and hobby clash, -and when an individual lacks the integrity to know the difference.
I feel we should all realize, as comfortable a pew that these forums may be, that the possibility still lies for misuse. It is not a nice feeling, and I am not saying this to be alarmist, -but it has happened, and it should be open to frank discussion. With the ability to trade almost anything on earth, there will be a business that is hurt, and retribution is possible. I feel we should get these sorts of issues out in the open, so that none of us are not surprised or hurt in future.
Love to hear your thoughts, Barbara

Valley Village, CA

I really don't think other forums are any of our business. Who ever feels that they were misstreated should take care of their own problems, and do what ever needs to be done.

In the first place anyone receiving plants in the U.S. should always, wash them off and use whatever they do, to make sure their plant is clean before introducing it into their own greenhouse. Keep it isolated for two weeks.

Many nurseries hae bugs that can't be seen because they haven't hatched. Each of us should take responsibility for their own free gifts of plants. Norma

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

just to clear things up, this person wasn't active until very recently. She didn't trade with any of us. She came in with a really bad attitude. Yes, she will lose business, but not because of anything except her attitude, not because we're trading and not buying. I hope to continue to trade and receive and send gifts of plants. I would hate that a good nursery might lose business because we trade and don't always buy, but I don't think it would put a dent in a really good nursery.

Vancouver, BC(Zone 7a)

You see, -that's why I hesitated to say anything. Keeping head in the sand leads to gravel in brain.
There was real hurt out of this situation, and just saying it's none of our business is naive. Merely stating that you should wash off roots and quaranteen is naive. There is a huge regulatory agency out there who would demand paperwork and documentation. Private businesses who feel that they are losing business to traders can, and have, turned the force of the law, albeit overly legitious, on traders.
That is all I'm trying to say. We should be aware that it has happened, and could in the future.
I am not trying to frighten anyone. I feel that knowledge is a precious commodity.
Barbara

Valley Village, CA

Hi there again, don't take offense. We have receive an virused plants from a well known nursery in the US. This nurseryman didn't know that he had a diseased plant. We knew because John Trager (curator)is an experienced grower and knew what to watch out for. A virused plant will be blotchy, like it had too much water and cold. I purchased a plant for the Huntington that was really needed, an Echeveria, now I didn't spot the disease, I thought it was just the cold, we will see. So you see it can be unintended that this happened. You can't see that virus, it's inside and just doesn't move around. I have been told that all variegated plants are caused by a virus. I certainly hope not. Clean all your tools well, for a virus you must use Purex 10% mix.
You certainly don't have to announce your trades, no one needs to know who you received trades from.

By the way I did send you some seeds, I hope they get through okay. They are declared, that is important don't try to hide what you are sending. Anyone ethical will not send a virused plant knowingly.
Cool down, take a big breath, take an asprin, I've been there, and I know you are mad as hell. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Barbara I didn't mean to scold you, but I'm not naive. I've seen exactly what you have seen. I know what goes on out there. I have seen others put down others about their knowledge. I'm not talking about people at our level. I have had a friend libeled, which could wreck her career, calling her book poor even though it wasn't released at that time. (it was unseen) I have heard people put down others at meetings in a mean spirited manner.

Most of us are nice people, and when this happens, it doesn't give us the bad name, but guess who does get the bad reputation. I hate to tell you what I had put up with employees at the Huntington, but they are no longer there, but I am.
Several other nasty people are still there but we just judge the source and laugh at them, they are usually miserable people anyway. Norma

Vancouver, BC(Zone 7a)

I was going to point out something to you awhile ago. It came from one of your postings here. You said, in passing, that you were 'just a volunteer'.
I remember when my husband and I took turn about when our babies were little. As we both taught, we alternated taking years off to be home with them. He, always the English teacher, made a little old public health "baby" weigher's day when he corrected her. She had said that she had to ask one of the duty nurses about some issue, because, as she said apologetically, "I'm only a volunteer". Nonsense," cried Steven. "She is only a nurse! Whereas you, ARE, a volunteer!!"
Sometime I'll tell you about my father.
barbara

Vancouver, BC(Zone 7a)

Oops. Forgot my point.
People should just be careful, and cautious.
Barbara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.