Aloes

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

here we have to keep Aloes inside, so mine is indoors all year. I would like to cut the head off, they are looking very scraggly. I've had this one over 10 years, it's part of me:) I've read what you say to do, just need to know if I can do it for an indoor plant this time of year.

Valley Village, CA

I'll start some ideas of what to do: I would wait, usually they flower this time of year, and after they flower when it's warm enough outside, I cut the head off, make sure you leave some stem on the base,perhaps with a ring of leaves left on, take the top rosette, set it on top of soil, and wait until you see the roots form. It may take 6 weeks, so timing is very important. It will root down.

Option: 1 You may want to lay it in flat that has been lined with newspaper, 18x18/ now soil and just put on top of dry soil. You can obtain flats that your local nursery may be tossing out.

Option: 2 Here in Calif. We just cut off what we want about April l when our weather has settled then just sink the cut off piece into the ground. We have left stem to do this with. Our course we have prepared our soil with a very fast draining mix. This is very important.

Mix: You may use Chicken grit with you baged soil.
You can use oyster shell 50-50 use may want to use native soil, if it isn't from Floria (I apologize) as long as it is fast draining. Some species like limestone, quartz, or granite soil. You may add pebles, anything that makes your soil drain well.

If your new plant is potted: Give it plenty of light so it doesn't stretch out, or cut down on water. April 1 start giving it a steady dose of liquid fertilizer. Meaning once a week (very weak) twice a month, once a month, water the plant first then water again with the fertilizer.
It is best to soak with water until it runs out of the holes, than to mist, or a token watering. (not proofed)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.