Magnolia vine???

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5a)

Last year at our local nursery a friend of mine bought a magnolia vine. This is the only place that I have seen/heard of that had one. I have looked but haven't been able to find one anywhere. Has anyone had, grown, seen one???

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 1:18 PM

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

here is url for magnolia vine (Schizandra chinensis) http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/ProductDetails.cfm?ProductID=H345

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 1:19 PM

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

no i don't. i was curious of how it look... the very reason why i search for the site. the usual reason why i try to help others... to satisfy my own curiousity. ROTFLOL

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

A bit pricey, wonder if we can sell the juice as a pick-me-up in juice bars?

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

see where it came from? maybe Jianhua got some seeds? or perhaps Evert??? hmmmm something to ponder Aimée, what say u my friend?

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

We'll have to look into this, I smell a project!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

u got that right! i will check around ;)! and let u know.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

here is the url for google on this vine http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=magnolia+vine

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

here is the url for google on this vine http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=magnolia+vine check this url... http://www.chinaginseng.com/database/wuweizi.htm

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5a)

Hmm, that's interesting. The one she bought had magnolia flowers on it. I don't recall her saying anything about fruit. I can't help but wonder if there are more than one type of magnolia vine. I'll have to go back to google to see if there are more than one type. Thanks MVR for the help anyway.

(Zone 5b)

I've been trying to find out if it's invasive too and I can't find it on any lists of invasive plants that I've found so far.

Here's another link with interesting info:
http://herbsforhealth.about.com/library/weekly/aa052998.htm

I also found a nursery (mail order I think) that said they had them and expected to have plenty in spring but it's at work. Please e-mail me if you want the name (otherwise I'll probably forget to post it).

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

I believe you have to have both a male and a female plant in order to set fertile seed, so it's probably not too invasive.

(Zone 5b)

Mellingers is who said they have magnolia vine.

http://www.mellingers.com

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

OOOOOOOO.....I want one of those....anyone found out anything about it for sure yet?

"eyes"

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Eyes, me, too! But they are a little pricey, I think. Maybe one of us can buy it and make cuttings for the others who share the cost? I want in on it if we can.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I always understood the Magnolia Vine to be Kadsura japonica "Fukurin" and as it happens I may be getting this in the Summer from a landscaper who goes to North Carolina wholesalers - Pender Nursery, Garner N.C. They have it listed at $8.50 for the 3 gal. size. It's hardy in the 7-8 zones but I believe I may get away with it in my 6 zone with protection!! I will certainly check it out and like the fact that it's a variegated evergreen vine with cream coloured flowers followed by scarlet berries!!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Louisa...let me know, and I'll send you the cash in a dash!

"eyes"

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

My 'contact' is the guy who sowed the grass etc for the builders and he goes to the wholesalers periodically. The price I quoted was obviously the price to him and no doubt he will add to this for his expenses. I will ask him 'eyes' and let you know!! But remind me if I don't get back to you!!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

I will louisa....and if I can get it, too, then I will hare cuttings, Aimee!

"eyes"

(Zone 5b)

Kadsura japonica is an evergreen magnolia vine and schisandra is a deciduous vine. There are several varieties of schisandra (some hardy to zone 4), and it needs both male and female to set seed.

I still haven't found out about it being invasive but if it's not I'll be looking for a schisandra that's hardy in my zone 5. If I don't find one locally, there are several on-line nurseries that have them for around $10-15 (not sure what sizes yet).

If anyone's interested in the deciduous schisandra let me know.

Kingston, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello :)
Did anyone ever find this vine? I love magnolias so I know I would love to find a vine like the magnolia. LOL

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Eyes, I love this idea! Let me know how it goes, in case I forget to come back here. Watching the thread, though. I can hardly wait.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Margaret, have ya hollered at him yet? Just checking!

"eyes"

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh my gosh Jerrie - I was just going to mail you!! He is an elusive guy. Goes out really early in the morning and all I get is his voice mail. But I managed in the end. He said he can't give me a price yet but thinks he may have to add about $4 or $5 to the price of $8.50. I haven't got the ground ready yet where I wish to plant it and was going to wait until later in the season to order. However, if you want I can order one for you and post it on. But.....it is a 3 gallon plant and will be heavy. I would have to remove most of the soil ball and probably have to either bend the vine or cut it back some to mail it!! How would you feel about that!! He also said he can't tell me when he's going down to S. Carolina again because he waits until his clients order enough for the journey to be worthwhile!! What would you like me to do?? He did tell me to phone him sometime next week regarding his next trip to SC. I know you are eager to have this and am sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you!!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

.......hey sweetie, your the guy behind the wheel...I can wait till then, and yes you can bend it around to fit in a box.....let me know so I can send you the $$.

"eyes"

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

OK Jerrie - I will keep on top of this I promise and will get back to you soon as I have word from him!! Would you be prepared to wait until I have mine and then send you a cutting - it won't be till late Summer or do you want a plant of your own. Can you email me and let me know. I'm off the net for the rest of the day I think, so will get back to you tomorrow!!

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I don't have any seeds but I have seen them here for sale... we call it palsamiköynnös. I wonder, what does the vine has to do with Magnolias? I think they aren't similar at all.. Funny.

That could grow nicely with my North-Asian plants, maybe I have to buy one. ;)

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

go for it Evert =)! keep us posted. thx... ma vie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.