Coleus........

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure I spelled that right, but just wanted to say that I pinched some leaves from this plant, put them in water, and in about 5 days, I have roots. This is good when my plant hadn't been pinched back and didn't have a lot of new growth for taking cuttings. Now I know I can have all the new plants I want, just from leaves, that is if they continue on and make a plant. Just trying something different to make the days go a little faster until spring. Has anyone tried this and with what kind of results?

Shirley

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Coleus roots beautifully in water! So does Basil, which is after all, also in the mint family, the square stems being the clue. The important thing is to change the water as needed before it gets cloudy, so the plants do not rot. An item of interest is that plants which are more difficult to root in water will do so when in the same glass as something which roots easily, perhaps from rooting hormones released ino the water! John

Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 9b)

WoW Thanks John that is interesting

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

You can also stick a piece of willow in with them. The hormones that the willow gives off help the things to root. A drop of tea tree oil in the water seems to help keep them from rotting too.

Thanks John,learned something new this morning' My basil and coleus will get together tomorrow,lol'

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Great information......thanks a lot.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I've rooted verbena in water too. Bay trees (bay the spice) will root much better if you put the cutting in water until it forms nubbies - sorta like brugs do. It takes a long time but eventually the nubbies form and then it will root quickly in soil.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I had never tried to root leaves before. How long will it take for them to make a plant? Anyone?

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Poppysue, Where are you getting the bay tree plant from?
I have looked for two years in the nurserys here but they don`t order them.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I got mine locally years ago. I kept it going for 4 years or so but waited too long to bring it in one year and it died. Any of the places that specialize in herb plants should have them. They're hardy to zone 7 and there maybe someone around that has a big tree near by to snip some cuttings. http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/launobilis.htm Laurus nobilis is the Latin name - There's probably a few online sources for it if you search around.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Busybee - mine does great in here Houston _ would be happy to trade you for cuttings for ?????

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Coleus has always been a favorite of mine to root in water. I always have several kinds rooting in the window. My favorite right now is what I think is a duck foot coleus. Very tiny little leaves and the leaves are sort of the shape of a duck foot. Today I took one of those cheapy plant flats with 72 little plant plug things with the plastic top and put 72 little unrooted starts (not all coleus) in there. We'll see how that goes. Hoping to have lots to trade once this weather warms up. Hurry Spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.