Help Please!

We live in Citrus Heights (near Sacramento, CA) I am relatively new to vegetable gardening - This was the 3rd year I've attempted my vegetable garden. The first year was great, I was giving away zucchini, tomatoes, etc. The last 2 years the only thing that's really producing is jalapenos and tomatoes. A spaghetti squash formed, grew to hand size and stopped growing. Not a single zucchini appeared. I saw a couple of yellow squash that clearly did not get pollinated. I got one cucumber. Normally, I plant bell peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash. I feel like my soil is lacking something, but I do not know what? If anyone can make some suggestions to me, I would appreciate it. I would like to have a productive garden next spring/summer.

Thank You,

Kelly

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Kelly,
Congrats on your garden! Just my 2cents, but assuming water, shade, heat ratio is the same, have you fertilized or amended with compost since that first great season? I've had good luck with chicken manure, cheap and easily available at Home Depot, dug into the soil between crops. It can burn plants if applied directly so you'd kind of want to dig it in and water the beds and let them sit for a few weeks before adding plants. I've also used horse manure this way with great success with tomatoes, although I've also heard that it can carry a lot of salt - not sure, I'm not that precise! Also on the non-planting months, mixing in some organic stuff such as compost to loosen the soil and provide more than the heavy nitrogen you'd get from manure can be helpful.
If you've already planted, I recommend supplementing with MiracleGro this season :)
Probably free compost source in Citrus Heights/Sacramento seems to be Republic Services https://www.citrusheights.net/FAQ.aspx?QID=555
If you want to go whole hog and get your soil tested, here's some relatively up to date lists of labs https://mgsantaclara.ucanr.edu/garden-help/soil-testing/
I've had Logan Labs recommended to me in conjunction with the OrganiCalc website, but have not personally used them.
Cheers, Joe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.