Best/Worse/What did I Learn Today? Come sit awhile and share your day..newcomers welcome

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes, Betty - the idiots cost not only their lives, but also rescuers (IF anything happens to the idiots. Sometimes they get off scot-free!)
busy day - coffeetime in the morning, Wellness in the afternoon, and an AGM attended in the evening. 13 hours of "busy". Tired.

Sorry, missing commenting on stuff, but you know that I'm thinking about everyone in this thread!
See you tomorrow :)

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Yesterday was in the mid 70's here, then last night front came through. Tornado sirens were going off in the area, and on my phone. Strong winds and hail. This morning it's in the 20's and snowing. Weird weather this winter.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, school buses are cancelled, thunder storm and flash freezing on alert. I looked at the radar and here is hoping we just get the tip.

Susan, that makes for a long day, hope today you can relax

Deb, scary when those tornadoes sirens start the ring. Do you have a safe place within the house to go to with the furries?

Not a wonder so many people are sick, one day you have in the minus then it’s spring weather.

I’ve been for my chiropractor treatment, now enjoying a coffee before I leave for a perm. Sent i a messages to the moms of Peighton and Ari, neither kids have been here for 2 weeks, I am hoping rather than have a 4:30 class and a 4:00pm class tomorrow both could come today, hoping big time they are able to accommodate.

Enjoy your day

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Weather here today was absolutely beautiful. Blue skies no clouds and very light breeze but that will change late tomorrow when we're getting a cold front coming down from Pat's area north, and bringing with that high winds when they speak of Highwinds in the desert it's kinda like a hurricane in Florida, a lot of dust blowing I was. I was going to clean the patio tomorrow, but that would just be a waste of time.

I had a wonderful surprise today I was sitting in my kitchen and my back door opened and in walked a worker from the Par 3 landscape crew looking for an ice cream sandwich. I told him the Lord sent him first because I did have an ice cream sandwich and second I had an irrigation problem I couldn't figure out so he got his ice cream sandwich. Everyone in the community that works other than living here knows where my fridge and freezer is in the laundry room anyway we went in the backyard. I turned on the system in about 20 seconds. He found the problem and I had been working on that problem for two days probably had a good hour invested. Anyway, he said his crew down here 4 PM while I was at the dog food store and fixed it what a blessing and one of the guards came by and moved some of my soil to the same area so I can mix up the soil on my two over large round planters that I'm going to plant lettuce snap peas and turnips in. Tomatoes will go in and another week. Got to get the wind out of here first.

Betty, that would be great if you could get those young ones to come at the same time instead of interrupting your day tomorrow. How did your visit to the chiropractor go. My sister had a shot in her neck to help with the pain in her neck and it helped for two days and is now back where it was. She tried acupuncture before that and that didn't work. She's just got arthritis in the bottom stem of her head and just drives her crazy CBD oil works but she was looking for something that maybe insurance would pay for. Susan, did you get rid of all those jobs. Your house will look so much better when you get a lot of big stuff out.

Diane, I'm so pleased that Zeek is still doing well and you're having decent weather. Did you get the storm that Betty had blowing this morning? I have a have her on my weather app with my grandchildren and children and it showed she was 54 to hit 24 today that's not a normal drop, it said a flash freeze and I don't even know what the flash freeze is but I guess I could google it never experience one here.

Anyway, I have some bulbs that are popping. They're little little heads up and they're a little early and the trees are budding up big time, a little early so this might mean we're gonna have one wicked summer never know.

You have a wonderful evening and morning tomorrow and I'll check in later tomorrow. Be safe be happy.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Good evening everyone.
Sounds like everyone is busy.
Pat, glad to hear you finally got your house payment.
My realtor sent me an offer the person wants to buy my home. He offered $40K. I told her absolutely not. Waiting to hear back.
The panhandle of Texas has a massive wildfire going on right now. It's about 30 miles from us. Yesterday was a warm 70 degrees, and winds of about 50 miles an hour. Fire started way north of us, and spread very rapidly. Over 1 million acres as of this morning have burned. Ranchers lost livestock. Homes and buildings have burned. Last night when it got within 30 miles of us, the city was about to put in evacuation orders, but at last minute the winds died down, and turned directions. Today is 35 degrees with very little wind. Multiple states have sent fire fighters to help. Our governor said it might be the biggest fire in Texas ever.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, clear this morning but they say it likely will pickup..I’m sitting in the chiropractor’s office but hoping to be home by 9.

Noah picked up my Janome 1600qc, it’s dead, he will drop it off in Barrie this morning, sure hope it’s not something major.

That is an insult to get such an offer, who can buy a house for under $100k? Here is hoping a more serious offer will c9me in

Victoria Harbour, ON

Back home, had to cut my post short.

Lindakay, those wildfire must be so worry some. I remember the year Rita and I were in Vegas then California there were major fires, as we drove we could so smell the smoke, later seeing a lot of the coastline destroyed just broke our hearts. Be safe

Sharon that was sure worth an ice cream sandwhich. When i think of Nevada I always think of winds and bramble bush bowing 8n the wind along with the sand, think when i was young i watched too many cowboy shows.

It’s cold and we have weather warning, they didn’t cancel school bus so guess if we do get it will be later in the day.

No one of the little girls live about 2 blocks from school so she was able to walk soooo she comes tonight.

Well, off to make some call, Sharon comes back from the islands tonight, she has spent all week of her vacation with puffy face & eyes closed, not a happy camper so she asked I make some calls for her

We have snow on the ground this morning, so we are praying it will help with the fires.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-blog/texas-wildfires-live-updates-rcna141087

Victoria Harbour, ON

How horrible Lindakay, those poor families being affected, crops, livestock..prayers

Not good news about my machine, main circuit gone. $450

Sorry to hear about your machine Betty. Pretty sad we pay so much for them, and the computer goes out.
I have one in the shop now, waiting for them to tell me what's wrong.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sunshine today, have front door open, such sunshine coming in..if it were a tad warmer I would open the screen door and let fresh air in but too cold.

Took a quick run to midland, got a slab of wood cut into 16” pieces for more bunnies and picked up my meds then no sooner got in Suzanne called, she is at a car dealership and not sure they won’t keep it and can i pick up and bring her home so I’m waiting.

Sharon is at the hospital re the infection on her face and eyes.

Hope the problems in your machine is not the main board..

Verona, ON

Like Betty the weather is beautiful. It's 42F. I had the door to the TH's enclosure open as I was splitting wood then tossing it inside. Saves my knees from the steps. The wood stove has been doing its trick. I am not happy with this last load of wood but I know the guy will compensate me with more dry wood.

LK I was aghast at the offer on your house. Just someone trying to take advantage of yo
Deb I watched the Purina Dog Show - at least some of it. The obstacle course.Wow some of those dogs can really move..

Time to rest my hands. Stay safe and well everyone.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lindakay, how is the fire situation, getting closer to you? Sooo much destruction..

Dianne, bad for the stove when it’s wet, so much sap, if he makes good for the wood you will have a head start for next winter.on days like this do you put TH in the pen and let them enjoy the weather, next week i think there will be 3 days close to 60’s, I’m hoping to take advantage of that and do some yard clean up.

How is the ice, here it’s so unsafe, early morning i could hear helicopter, haven’t heard but hope someone didn’t go thru.

I am also amazed when I see Debbie’s dogs compete when she posts, their hair is so silky it looks like they are floating on air.

Sharon just messaged me, they took her to an e.r. Room so hopefully it will just be a few hours before she gets it looked after.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Linda Kay - $40k? That IS insulting. What were they thinking of?
How are the wildfires? Hope things are under control & that you're nowhere near the path of them.
Betty - $450? Out of warranty, I suppose.

Lots of dry snow today. Coffeetime this morning, and tonight Games Night.
In the meantime, I'm trying to get stuff done around the house.
Tomorrow DeAnn & I are going to Cross Iron Mills to the Costco to get bread & cheese for Thursday's catering (125 people at the funeral). I have people to make all sorts of things - sandwiches, pickles, cheese & baking.

Victoria Harbour, ON

As always Susan you keep so busy. Ladies auxiliary in most communities do the luncheons, a lot of work shopping even before the prep.

Sharon is finally on her way home from hospital and getting her meds, she hasn’t eaten yet today so I told her to drop in and pick up a few containers of soup, hope she does..

She said doctor feels her January episode was an allergic reaction and now turned into a bacterial infection, he wanted to give her erthrimycin drops and because she is allergic he gave her drugs. She just messaged me, won’t stop in she needs to get into bed. Guess i will freeze soup

Yes, the offer on my home was an insult.
The fires are now going east of us, andbhas crossed into Oklahoma. Newscreport said it is the 2nd largest fire in us history. 2 people dead, overb500 structures burned. All due to a utility pole owned by the electric company. Attorney General has already filed a lawsuit, to make them pay for all damages.
Sorry to hear about Sharon not feeling well. Praying the meds help her soon.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Susan, the catering availability for the funeral is SUCH a blessing. What a beautiful service to provide at a reasonable price.

Linda, here's prayer much more suitable offers are to come soon! Scary about the fires.

My sister's neighbor, just 3 houses down, had their house on the market just 4 days! I am praying Marie's goes quickly.

Betty, "Murphy's Law", that you would already be home before Suzanne called! LOL

The city inspector just signed off on the Heat Pump and our contractor will go back to work Tuesday. We picked out the flooring. Moving forward. I didn't even try to get work done today. I did a small amount of sorting, cooked dinner after having a 3 hour nap!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, a 37f° but a feel like 32f° says this afternoon we will have a mix of snow,rain,sleet, oh happy days.

I have 12 rabbits cut out on scroll saw, 12 more to go, thought i might run into town and get the rest of the wood but might wait til Monday as i have to go for chiropractor treatment.

Hope you are out of danger Lindakay and Pat so glad to hear you got to nap and had an easier day of it, your energizer batteries must be run down lol

This message was edited Mar 2, 2024 12:41 PM

Happy birthday Betty.
Hope you have an amazing day.
Are the wooden bunnies for your classes with the kids?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks Lindakay, hears from almost all, Suzanne and Sharon under the weather, best they stay home

Greg is about a 6 hour drive north snowmobiling, made plans to go to Toronto for eats when Caleb does his 1st MC.

Melanie called, she and Nolan wanted to take me to Kelsey’s for supper, with not feeling up to eating solids it would be such a waste so they will drop in later.

Marie just came in with a birthday cake and a beautiful orchid, 2nd one i got, poor orchids don’t live long with me. Big sigh

I base coated 6 of the bunnies, body/arms/hands and tail brown for the base coat..takes quite awhile to dry in this weather so it will be a help for the kids.

Now for a nap

Happy Bday Betty! I am not surprised you have lots of well-wishers and visitors! You are LOVED!
We are headed back to Burbank today to work on clearing out of the conexes. We won't finish, but I hope to get the common area of the 3 units cleared of "stuff" other than the shelving units and bookcases. We have NO where to put them here yet.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks, don’t overdo

Verona, ON

Happy Birthday Betty!

Miserable weather day here. I had wanted to work outside but it has drizzled on/off all day. So instead I did some running around. I needed the TH's kibble and treats so went to Sydenham to get them. Since I was already in Sydenham I went to the Foodland/IGA there. What a difference from the store here in Verona.

LK I have been watching the Texas wild fires. Glad you are not in the path of the flames.

Pat do you sleep well? After all the jam packed days you put in I hope you fall right to sleep once your head hits the pillow. I suffer from the Deadman's curse (my maiden name) and have a terrible time getting to sleep and staying asleep.

My American neighbours are up for the first time this year. It's about a month early for them to come up but given the weather it makes sense.

Stay safe and well everyone.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday, Betty!!

Mid 60's here today, 70's tomorrow and Monday.
Pups are enjoying the weather. Just got a call from my handler, Luca won Best of Breed over champions for a major win. One more major and he'll be a champion!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

♫♪Happy Birthday, Betty♪♫ Hope you're having a splendiferous day!

I took a "Me" day & stayed home. I defrosted (!) my upright freezer. I haven't done it since I first got the new-to-me freezer over 7 years ago, so there was a LOT of build-up. DeAnn's getting 12 loaves of bread for Thurs & I'm going to put it in my freezer. Lots of room now LOL

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well, we are having Highwinds and rain. Emma and I took two walks today. First one was in a mild rain and the second one was in high winds, but she won't go potty unless she's on her walk so off we went, and we survived. I had a late breakfast/lunch about 230 fried up to already baked potatoes with onion and then had two eggs over medium and I am stuffed. Just seem like the kind of breakfast to have on a windy rainy day probably should've made soup but just didn't have the energy.

The HOA, I live in, where I'm we liaison of the landscape crew, has broken branches and leaves and crap everywhere we have a young man probably late 30s early 40s who's been with us over seven years he works six days a week and is amazing, he never stops and he had this place so spic and span and now there's Pineneedles and broken branches and you name it everywhere. There's also an NASCAR racing here today and they showed the show trying to stand next to one of the drivers at the beginning and they could barely stand and their headsets were going everywhere.

Happy happy happy birthday Betty I have the same luck with orchids but Trader Joe's here they're only $12-$15 so they're like buying a bouquet and the last little longer. My son in Spokane gives me a Trader Joe's gift card every Mother's Day to cover the cost of four orchids that I can buy when I want.

Susan, great job on the me day. everyone needs to do that everyone's in a while. I've been emptying my freezer by not buying any new meat. So I just pull a package out and then figure out what to do with it when I figure out what it is. I did have my daughter pick me up some bacon because I went into the drawer where there should be bacon in the freezer and there was none.

Mom, that's great news on on your dog one more win and he'll be a champion. You must be one happy mama.

Pat I don't understand what the thing is you're emptying the three units maybe storage I got lost on that one. House up the street from me went on the market Monday and sold on Thursday but it was priced right to sell so they must've really wanted to move, both daughters have finished college and I think they're just wanting a smaller place where they can travel unlock the front door not worry about everything else that comes with the big house.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Diane, how was your weather. I have a friend who lives in Jacksonville Wyoming and they are getting big-time snow and Lake Tahoe California/Nevada got about 12 feet. There was a funny clip on the weather channel showing a couple from Canada that thought that snow in the United States would be no big deal, so they drove through Donner's Pass and got stuck and had to be pulled out. and they had a lady from Canada that was here for the NASCAR race and she was headed back to her car to get her Winter Canada coat because she thought this would be a piece of cake and she said she was freezing.

Marie got a full price offer less than 24 hours after the house went on the market. She asked 9K MORE than what the realtor was suggesting.... https://www.zillow.com/homes/142-Snake-River-Dr-Burbank,-WA-99323_rb/91562522_zpid/

A conex is a storage unit, it is a train box car, (that CAN be put on a truck) 40 feet long and 8 feet wide. they are metal and she had 2 full size ones & one that was much smaller. She had electricity added and custom shelves and clothes rods. These are all side by side with a room added across the front of all 3 of them to "tie them together" with a ramp for easy access.

Marie had an Ebay business for years and this is what she used to store her inventory.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

wow, you ladies are NOT going to believe what I just found in the ice that was in my sink this morning! I'd put a bowl upside down in, that I'd used to transport the ice from freezer, to sink. Lifted the bowl just now, and found my long-lost wedding ring! Now HOW did it get into the freezer? Either it slipped off my finger that I didn't notice right away, OR he put it there. I've found other things that he'd tucked away, like a night light I'd been given by my son-in-law that Bob didn't like and he put it in his night stand. Regardless, I have the set now, and can sell it to a jewelers. Bob wasn't wearing his wedding ring, so it's still here. Btw - when I bring my divorce documents to the court, they said I must surrender my marriage certificate. I was ready to surrender it Then lol My daughter said she'd never heard of such a thing, and she was a paralegal in a law office. Maybe it's new, who knows, but I'm certainly ready to surrender it LMAO

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks everyone for birthday wishes, was a lovely day, lots of afternoon visitors and mega flowers and cakes, sent home with those who bought cake the cake without 1 slice, better than leaving it go to waste.

Omg Susan, what a find, you lost that years ago. Never heard of such a thing, how long must you wait to get your court date?

I’m so excited for Marie and you, wonderful news for sure, when will it close, so much work went into this plan, hope Marie realizes what a gem she has in her sister.
Pat those convex boxes could find a good home in my yard lol
Will you keep some

Maybe once you are settled you both can come here for a weeks holiday?

Sharon, I almost have Las Vegas weather, will be in 60’s for a few days but big sigh more snow to come.just the word ‘pass’ scares the bee Herbert out of me after the one we went on going from Vegas to California, can’t imagine it in the winter. Cost of flowers this year will be so high, won’t be able to afford baskets. Most of the seeds I’m planting now are for fillers, I’ll buy geraniums and make baskets myself. Are you finding what you are buying now plant wise is more expensive?

Your breakfast sounds delicious, i made 2 small pancake, have the other for tomorrow. Tom next door brought me supper, couldn’t tell him I don’t eat fish especially salmon so i called Sharon, she came over, it was one on her favourites.
I cooked up chicken stew with lasagna noodles in it..can mash it all up and will do me a few days +, Sharon went to get a pop out of the fridge she couldn’t believe all the leftover meals waiting to be eaten, guess tomorrow they will going food bin.

Deb, how excited you must be on Luca’s win, he is so regal. When is the next competition to gain remainder of his points. Think Sharon’s dog goes to Louisville Kentucky next month.

Dianne, aren’t all Foodlands have same pricing or was there more choice?
I expect you to have some nice weather this week as well.TH will enjoy being out by your side.

Lindakay, are the fires getting under control? When I don’t see you post i wonder if you’ve been evacuated.

Jeff just called, Caleb’s 1st Medieval Times being MC is tonight, he was just going into the theatre for supper and show. Caleb wanted to do a few more shows and be confident before we all go to see him.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Caleb’s 1st performance as MC

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

What a handsome young man he is.
Susan, so glad you found your ring. Of all the odd places to find it.
Fires are still raging, going east of us. Some have even crossed into Oklahoma. 500 plus structures have completely burned, massive amounts of cattle herds have perished. It's so sad to see the videos on the news. Our winds are staying at 30 to 50 mph. So hard to contain the fires.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Is Sharon going to Louisville too? My boy will be there with his handler, I'm staying home. Saving up so I can go to a show near Dallas next month.

Victoria Harbour, ON

In low 60’s, rain tomorrow, i want to get out and pick some tree limbs and even burn but wind is up.

Because of Sharon’s eye situation she has been in contact with someone who is going and hoping a 2 hour drive to meet up with this lady who would bring him to Graeme at the show might be possible. Would havebeen nice to have you 2 meet up one day at a show

At chiropractor office, waiting til 7:30 for treatment the quick stop at Home Depot for more bunny wood.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2024 8:28 AM

Susan, you think Bob put it there? That is weird but now you have it and hopefully can get some money out of it.

Linda, that is so scary about the fires. So very sad. I hope the part that HAS burned will work as a back fire barrier to protect you.

Marie got 2nd offer, 2K higher than the first offer, turned it down. We didn't get notice that they were going to show and we were at the house working on the conex. We grabbed out stuff and left. We are really close to getting the conexes done & I can't wait.

I broke a tooth & had a dentist appt today for cleaning and exam. Repairs to start next Tuesday.

Our back yard is literally about 15 deep and set back requirements are 5 feet from property line & 10 from structures, IE, no legal way to put any building back there. I think Marie is still considering it though.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, mild out but i think the rain they are calling for will start soon.

Know I wrote a post last night, guess I fell asleep before I pressed ‘send’

Pat do you think doing it anyway would be worth the municipality having you remove it… when is the closing date? Don’t envy you with having problems with your teeth, can be so very painful. Only time i take a breath and think to myself, am I glad I’ve had dentures for 55+ years.

Drats, had 2 full bags of milk, they were sour, i have to remind myself to buy in quarts, 3 bags I never seem to use up and down the zinc it goes.

I am hungry, bread and bagels expired a few days ago, can’t have cereal as no milk so maybe pancakes, only need water for the mix. Should go to grocery store but I go for physio at 7:30 a.m. tomorrow morning so saving a trip.

Going to vacuum the head downstairs to see what more I can get done on those bunny. Class is Sunday so i want all done before weekend so that i can relax for 2 Sunday classes.

Lindakay, update please on closeness to wildfire. I wanted to burn what is in the pit before rain starts but wind is up..i think of you and fires and say nope, not today!

Hope you are all ok.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone! I'm Iris, from Houston TX. Just joined DG.
New to using garden sites/ gardening social media, but not new to gardening.

Dear taters55 (Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)-

I am praying that you are safe from the huge TX fire! Feel free to d-mail me if you want to chat about TX gardening, or ask me questions.

I bet lots of people are busy, as this is a planting time of year for a lot of folk including me.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2024 2:31 PM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Welcome NewLeaf, don’t let us intimidate you, most of us have been in this group for almost a decade if not closer to 2 decades so just chime in..your name please?

I meant to ask Teacup how her family and herself are doing?

No gardening here for like 2 1/2 more months… Tom from restaurant brought me supper, he was looking at back yard and said he couldn’t imagine getting all the backyard cleaned, he said you’ve a lot going on out there lol yep, sure do!

We got all of 10 minutes of light rain, maybe the rest will come during the night.

Hmmm, maybe I am expecting too much of my newly seeded plants, keep thinking back to last year and seems i was further ahead.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the welcome Betty, my name is Iris.

Foggy and 65F here. We are having a much drier Spring than usual, which is not good for gardening nor the farms in my area. We have a decent chance of rain forecast for Friday. I sure hope we do get a substantial soaking rain Friday, because we sure need one.

I am "behind" on my gardening/ sowing this year, due to severe health troubles requiring numerous hospital trips.

Was very weak for a few months and nearly quit my favorite hobby. A lovely bicolor white/red Amaryllis kit that I received as a holiday gift bloomed beautifully, which kept me interested in gardening, and hopeful.

Was up all night last night with health issues. Back in the hospital today, having a nuclear heart scan. So, none of my seeds are yet sown.. Maybe this afternoon or tomorrow morning I can get started sowing.

Sowing seeds has always been a big mood lifter for me.

Anybody else here love how opening a seed envelope and starting plants from scratch feels?

Look forward to reading how y'all are doing.

Ciao for now,
NewLeafTX (Iris)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.