Best/Worse/What did I learn today? Chat with friends..newcomers always welcome..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Moved us over from here

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1559500/

Almost supper, have fries and cabbage rolls cooking,will be an early supper. The sky is getting darker, warnings once again..starting to think with all tornadoes in this area that I live in tornado alley.

Didn’t work as much as I have been the last 4-5 days but did fill in my day.

Brianna came over to glue the glass we fired to the antique window, I so enjoy her company. She will likely return tonight to pick it up, i told her that e6000 likely would dry enough for her to pick it up.

Got my deck and water fountain set up this morning, nice to finish this project..was worth the work.

Have old lady skin, was walking by the railing down the hallway and lifted a layer of skin..yikes, lifted it and put it back where it belongs, hoping it heals quickly. Going to take a bath, soak it and dress it so I don’t get an infection.

I also wish that postal service wasn’t so expensive.gee whiz, i have some pieces of fleece, thank you for the idea, maybe I can use the pieces for scarves..wouldn’t have thought of that..

God bless Kathy Lindakay,..must be difficult for her to stay up for any amount of time but she doesn’t want any of her time left not being with you.

Ohh Susan, isn’t the garden making grocery eats more reasonable? Do you mean you purchased a gazebo?
Was walk8ng down the hallway, ad end of the railing somehow I caught the corner of my area, my skin is so thin that it lifted a good hunk out of my arm. Grrr

This message was edited Aug 3, 2023 3:24 PM

This message was edited Aug 3, 2023 4:11 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ow ow ow BETTY! That looks so painful! Dianne had something like that happen, stuck the flap of skin down, and it healed with hardly a trace of a scar. Keep it moist when the seeping stops (if you have any) and when you don't need a bandage on it anymore.
It's not a gazebo - it's 4 square, hollow, metal posts about 8ft tall (ish), with a canvas-type top, and 2 "sides" about 1 ft long that come down from the top so you don't even touch it if you walk below it - it's just additional sun screen.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Oh Betty, that looks soooo painful, I cringe just seeing it. My skin gets thinner and thinner, just one of the many joys of getting older.

Your porch looks so fresh and inviting. I love the colors.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2023 3:32 AM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thank you Re porch, front gardens are coming along nicely,

Susan I’m prone to bumping in to everything so will keep it covered as long as I can the will wear long sleeve blouses.

Wouldn’t doubtI will lose power shortly, quite the storm going on

Victoria Harbour, ON

Dianne, stay safe as it’s quite a bad storm

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Good morning everyone.
It stormed here last night. Rain, thunder was loud.
For Christmas this past year, I made this panel quilt for my Sister. Yesterday she pulled it out and ask if I could put a hanging sleeve on the back so she could hang it. It took me a few hours, as I did it by hand, but we got it hung, and she was so happy.

Thumbnail by taters55
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

That is beautiful, Linda Kay!
I haven't gotten to the "thin skin" stage yet, and am hoping to forestall it as long as I can. I'm using a product called "Palmer's Skin Therapy" and it helps "Aging skin, evens out skin tone, helps with discolouration & scars". I apply it 3x a day. "93% of women tested" have noticed a difference. It's an 8 week treatment & I do see a difference in my scars after 3 weeks.
Randy tried to pull up my shed step & got stung near his eye last night. He says it's ok today, but I think it's best to go with the exterminator I called yesterday. These particular wasps are aggressive, and I don't want a non-professional dealing with it. The cost is under $200 for a fellow to come from Red Deer. He'll come sometime next week when he's closer to my area.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2023 8:30 AM

Linda,, I am glad you were able to hang it so Katy could enjoy it now.

Oh goodness Susan. I know you don't need the expense, but I also know you don't want anyone hurt. The risk of wasps is one of the reasons I have been so reluctant to even try to move any of that wood Adam has left STILL. I have a committment from church friends to help AFTER this weekend if he is STILL does not finish.

I started lisitng the stuff I took home from Sharon's for resell. I have appointments this morning and then beginning at 3. She had some expensive nice stuff so I hope to be able to generate some money for her. She would have just donated it all as she did NOT want to deal with it. Good telescope, bike rack, dining room chairs, kids' tent, life jackets & coolers and "More" as they say. I had her take all the stuff that was not worth the effort to donation. If I had been doing a yard sale, I would have kept it all for sale.

Verona, ON

Wow the TH and I managed to weather the storm last night but I thought for awhile we were going to meet Dorothy and Toto. It wasn't just a T&L as it went on for hours and seemed to be stranded over the lake and house. A bolt of lightening hit the lake. That was something to watch. I am so glad that the TH are not bothered by T&L. A second round came about 3 am.

Betty I think you were hit too. We lost the TV signal and wifi but both were back this morning.

Think a nap is in order this afternoon.

Stay safe.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Late afternoon all, sun is out then dark heavy clouds, not sure what it wants to do.

Dianne, we had the same weather, at one point the sky was all orange, Ziggy slept through it. Glad the TH wasn’t bothered by it. Can see you all flying away with Dorothy and Toto lol

Am sure Marie appreciates your help with purging and perhaps making $$$. I’m not a garage sale person (for selling) and fore sure not selling on marketplace type sites..kudos for you to be able to do it.

Susan, have never heard of Palmers Kin Therapy, will have to look it up though at my age doubtful it could help but worth a try! Sorry to hear Randy got stung…

L8ndakay that is a beautiful piece..shows how much it means to her..glad you were able to ad the sleeve..must warm your heart to have it hanging where she can see it. How is Kathy today?

My 2nd cousin Tori who has been quite ill and in and out of the hospital these past 6 months had to be rushed to the hospital. Yesterday posted following I copied and attached in photo below) she in her mid thirties, has 2 young ones, little girl comes to my Taft classes..prayers may help.

Guess all my weeks work caught up to me, just had a hot bath, meds and laying down..of course always nearly this bad just carrying grocery bags, think it will be a cbd/thc night.

Crazy, crazy in town, had to stand in lineup just to get a grocery cart.think this long weekend is the busiest of all long weekends.

Took gauze off my cut, gauze was stuck in dried blood, had to rip it off, yikes it hurt.

Cannot believe it’s just 4pm, not sure how aI will fill in next few hours til it really is bedtime.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Drats, forgot the photo

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

happy Birthday Sharon..
Did you and family do something special?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

♫♪Happy Birthday, Sharon♪♫ Hope you had a terrific day :)

Betty - I believe you're younger than I am. I'm 69, and I think the Palmer's Skin Therapy is working well for me. It's the scars I'm most wanting it for, but I also think the wrinkles around my mouth (hate those the most - caused, I'm sure by a lot of stress the past 3 years) are aging me quicker than I was when I was happier. I know that everyone here is going to say "that's just getting older, and thinner" but my genes are to age a lot better. Used to get taken for 10 - 15 years younger than I am, but then a fellow-camper aged me at 10 years older than I am. My stress level HAS gone down most recently, and I'm smiling a lot more.

OUCH Betty, on the tearing off of the gauze!

Betty, you should have soaked that gauze off.
So sorry to hear of Tori being so sick. Too young to be needing a liver transplant. Will keep her in our prayers.
Karhy has had a few good days now. All the visitors are being scheduled now. Not so many at once.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2023 8:02 AM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning..sunshine day here

Got up extra early as Selma is back from Europe, she comes Saturdays as here is where their summer cottage is so Saturday is only day she can come, so 11 am it’s is..wanted to get peach jam done before she comes. For3 basket of peaches it doesn’t look like a whole lot of jam. maybe 8-9 jars,I should have bought some homemade jam and taken off the labels and given to Greg lol

Glad Kathy is having some good days to be with you, sharing memories and wishes. Less doctors would lesson her worry also or so I would think.

i wish I was you age Susan, was 75 in March.

Sealing the jam jar of jams time, hope it tastes as good as it looks

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hadn’t seen Selma in awhile, was nice spending a few hours with her.
Thought I’d sit outside and enjoy an hour or so then saw the crab tree laden with crab apples so decided I make crab apple jelly and an applesauce cake..have the apples for jelly cooking and i don’t think I will get the cake made not the grass cuts

Will see

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Those apples look good. Wish I was closer.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Overtired so no sleep, 13hr day stopping only for chat for 1/2 hour so not a wonder sleep evades me.

Did Ruby’s applesauce cake to finish my day
Now to ring the sandman..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Verona, ON

Too bad we live so far apart Betty. I am awake too. I'll be dragging by noon.

I'd walk the TH but there has been a bear sighting in the next farm over. We'll go at dawn.

LK I am so glad to read your sister is getting some sleep. Warren slept a lot the last 3 weeks he was alive. She must be thrilled you are there to be with her. I hope the meds are helping the pain level. You've had a lot on your plate these last few weeks. Take care of yourself LK.

I miss doing the Meaford show for many reasons but getting Honey Crisp apples there is # 1. Betty do they still have the parade on Friday night ? It's not much of a parade but sure sets the tone for the weekend. Warren and I used to walk through the village on Sunday morning to look at all the displays. Some people sure go all out with their decorations.

What's everybody up to the rest of this weekend?

Deb how are those puppies doing ?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sunshine day, other than weeding around beds and pond it will be a me kind of day.

There will not be much at Meaford show this year, sad, the big factory that had every type of item has closed as has the candle Factory no nothing to attract the crowds.

But now the Kempenfest show is on this weekend, now there is an event, said you couldn’t but look at each vendor because lineups were so heavy you moved at snails pace.

Sharon is picking me up, have a few things we need in Midland

Lindakay, Todd’s rose is starting to be tall and healthy.

Few photo’s from my garden walk around.

Oops here is Sharon

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Glad your sister is having some good days. Prayers being sent, I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through.

Pups are doing good. 6 weeks old.

Thumbnail by momcat Thumbnail by momcat Thumbnail by momcat Thumbnail by momcat Thumbnail by momcat

Deb, those puppies are absolutely adorable. They are growing so fast.
Betty, your gardens are so beautiful. Glad to see those roses blooming. They are so pretty.
It's been a very rough year with losing Todd in April, now my sister is going through the same thing.
My mom always said, what ever you go through, if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger.
I will be going back to Texas Thursday. I have knee replacement coming up in September, and I have several doctors to see for pre op before that. But my nephew has orders to call me if she starts getting worse. I will reschedule anything I have coming up.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh Deb, they are so adorable, couldn’t pick a favourites you would have to just hand one over to me..they are at that playful stage, bet you can sit for hours and enjoy them..any sold?

Lindakay, so overwhelming, know you don’t want to leave and bet Kathy doesn’t want you to go but would never tell you that.

I’m making a sandwich, get a drink then go sit near the pond for a bit.

Sharon had to go to Canadian Tire so I went with her..

We walked up to the entrance door and I shouted to Sharon to grab me, entire world was twirling, knew I was falling, she grabbed me and another guy did so as well..told them i just wanted to lay on ground for awhile grrr people watching..when I was up to it he walked to garden area and got a chair for me to sit. Once it settled I held on to the cart but couldn’t turn my head from side to side or look up or down.

I have read all the posts and lots of comments in my head but will fail to get them written.
Phil passed away last night at 6, Marie called me and I met her there. By the time Hospice arrived at the AFH and made it official and then wait for funeral home, it was after 9 before we left. For now, Marie is doing Ok. I imagine we will have settled on the funeral date by Monday late afternoon. I expect the services will be Friday. Their daughter has to make arrangements to fly here from New York.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I am so sorry for your loss, Pat. Praying for strength for you and Marie to help you through this difficult time.

Betty, I hope you are OK. That was scary!! Thankfully Sharon was able to grab you, falling on concrete you could have done serious damage.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7b)

Hi All,
I’m having trouble figuring out how to start a new post but wanted to share a photo of something, sorry if this is the wrong place.

I visited one of my favorite plant nurseries yesterday, they were holding me a rooted stem off their ficus tree. They said it’s a Ficus Mystique, it’s absolutely stunning, the leaves are almost all white. I couldn’t find it on the DG site, I did find another one called ficus Benjamin Starlight, but it doesn’t have as much white on it. I didn’t bring home the small rooted stem, they had several of them, the take cuttings from the mother plant, root them & sell them every year. Unfortunately, they were all infested with scale, so they are going to treat them first. I had read somewhere on the internet that ficus leaves are usually always green & when they’re are variegations in color like white, it’s because they had some type of virus before. Does anyone know anything about this?
Thanks
Forest

Thumbnail by hollow Thumbnail by hollow
Victoria Harbour, ON

Pat, condolences to Marie, you and family. Although one is expecting it it’s overwhelming. Remember to take care of you as well as Marie.
Not a wonder your thoughts can’t process. Hugs

Sorry Forest, not familiar with this shrub

Slept off and on all afternoon, still not myself. Kyle was here for about 1 1/2 hrs…he played nurse. When I knew I was going to rest I took bandaid off my cuts,looked good, thought having air would do it wonders, well guess i tossed/turned and rubbed it against back of chesterfield, lifted the flesh back up..drats.

Still not feeling the best so am going to bed and hopefully tomorrow I will be ok..

Betty, I do hope you go to the doctor and get checked out. Sounds like your blood pressure is low.
Pat, sorry to hear about Phil. Sending our condolences and prayers.
I don't know anything about the ficus trees either.

Forest, I hope you get the answers and they are able to clear up the scale situation. That is one beautiful plant!
Betty, what do you know about TIA? is it possbile that is what you experienced? https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/transient-ischemic-attack/symptoms-causes/syc-20355679
Thanks, we meet with the funeral director tomorrow and then will know exactly when we are having Phil's services. LOTS up in the air at the moment. We did most of the planning (and she paid for in advance) the services a couple of months ago as we knew this was coming.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well Pat, that is sad news for Marie but not for Phil. Now he is able to be free of his pain and confusion.

I have had a very busy week and got lot of work in the garden done. I picked all of the tomatoes off of the volunteer tomatoes and then puled them. That took me the majority of a day and I probably shocked my new neighbors across the street. Everyone that lives in our neighborhood is used to seeing me with large piles of debris and mud on the knees of my jeans. I thought they were going to run into the hedge going up their driveway staring at me. Oh well, they will get used to me.

Linda, I pray for your sister's comfort. I loved seeing your hanging quilt you made her. So special. This is been a tough year for you.

Betty, your spell sounds like a blood pressure drop or a low sugar problem. So pleased you were aware enough to call to Sharon before you did a face plant. Loved seeing your peach jam and all of the delicious baking you did. Maybe you just need to take a few days off.

Where has Karen been.

Deb, those pups are exquisite. They grow so fast.

Diane, a bear near by would keep me from walking my dog.

My son and his wife spent a week in Banff. They said the area is absolutely amazing. And they had to wear sweat shirts the majority of the time because of the colder temperatures. My son just turned 60 Saturday.

I should be back to normal this week. Just had to many items on my list of thing to do. Hugs to you all.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7b)

Me again!
Sorry to hear about the death in your family Linda. I figured out how to make a new post and made one regarding my Mystique ficus. Thank you all for being patient with me. I had a stroke years ago & still have trouble with my thoughts, every time I come here & want to start a new post, I have such a hard time figuring it out. Usually when I do figure it out, I tell myself, well now that I learned this it will be easy next time me, but oh how wrong I am.

I noticed, you guys have a click / group of people in this very active thread, great job, everyone needs friends, I’m proud of all of you, keep it up, it’s good human nature & very supportive for everyone. Maybe I’ll see you somewhere on DG again.
Forest

That is very true Sharon, and Marie knows that. She has been mourning loss of her husband Phil for 4 months now, his death is just a different chapter. We've talked about some things she can expect: inability to stay focused and the tiredness. The waves of grief that will come and go, no matter how prepared we think we are.

It sounds like it might be just Kevin coming to the funeral, not his wife & child. A lot will depend on if it is Saturday or Thursday. My oldest Dana & his wife Carrie will be coming, no matter when it is. thankfully I have all the bedrooms ready so can accommodate them all here.

Forest, we hope you will become a regular here on this thread! Click the watch button and DG will let you know when there are new posts. SOMEBODY posts here pretty much daily, usually 2 or 3 people per day.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, rained most of the night, right now it’s ever so soft, been sitting here watching if fall on the leaves that are blowing, just so calming.
Thanks for the link, I’ve been having small bouts of it, more so when I get up.
Not up to much today but will get some things done, maybe cut some blocks.
Blood pressure is 140-78-52 believe that is normal, usually much higher.

Pat, makes it a lot less stressful when majority of funeral planning has been redone. I’m sure in this mourning process she will lean on you more and more..when I say mourning process, this mourning process never ends, we learn to cope. Marie is blessed having you by her side.

Will be easy for my boys, I want nothing, cremated then immediate family member put me with Roger, have date carved in tombstone and that is that..no gathering..just was!

Dianne, are you getting this cooler weather and rain? Will be nice for walking the TH. Imagine the lake is getting quieter?

Sharon I can just see you out in your gardening best and neighbours checking you out..does the home they just purchased have established gardens? What are your temps. Glad family enjoyed Banff.

Hooe we hear from Karen shortly.

Susan were you off camping this long weekend?

Forest, sorry to hear you are experiencing after effects of a stroke.. in some of these ladies have been chatting for almost 2 decades so we do indeed feel part of same family and like most families we open our door to newcomers. Please join in whenever you can. Perhaps mark down step by step how you got to us.

Don't know if I mentioned my new puppy. Right now she is in Sturgis.she is a cane corso. She is about 4 weeks old. First photo of me holder her was a week ago. She is growing fast. Too young to bring back to Texas just yet. Hopefully we will be going back to Sturgis in 3 weeks to pick her up.
Last photo is the quilt I made for my Sister for Christmas last year. When I got to Michigan she asked if I would put a hanging sleeve on the back so she could hang it up.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2023 9:12 AM

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7b)

Alright ladies, thanks for the offer to join such a nice group, I’m not sure about it, but it just might be way too much estrogen for me, plus you might not want me, unless of course we’re gonna be talking about sex or lack of, if you’re like my wife, you won’t talk about either. I sure hope you gals have a good sense of humor, I just wanted to make you smile, have a great day ladies!
Forest

This message was edited Aug 7, 2023 11:11 AM

Aw Forest, I am sure your wife has her hands full with you!! LOL. Don't tell me you are afraid of a bunch of women?? We are NOT inclined to man-bash, I believe you will be safe.
You are right Betty, the mourning just changes, it never "ends". There are times when I can think of Ben & just enjoy the sweet memories. Other times the pain of loss is acute. I think if Dana & Kevin had remained local it might have been easier but they are both in different directions and each about 4 hours away. A LOT closer than China, that is for sure.
Adam and family came Saturday and cleared all the mess. They really did a great job, They disassembled the shed & removed it, leveled the ground etc. I just wish they had done it at least a month ago! But it's done, that's the important part. Later in the fall, I will work on trying to repair the yard. I need to fill in holes, reseed.

Our meeting with the funeral director is in a hour so I should go eat something.

Edited to say: your picture of the puppy is why I don't hold puppies!!! I swear they have a magnetic pull. I love kittens & puppies! NOT safe to handel them. I want to take them HOME with me.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2023 11:02 PM

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Sorry about your loss, Pat. It's true, Phil's in a better place, and it's Marie that has to deal with the emotions.
Deb - puppies are adorable....... yeah, holding one would be difficult for me, too, but I just have to say to myself "vet bills don't pay themselves" lol
Welcome, Forest! Glad to know that you're going to be joining this lovely group of people. We've had men part of the group before, and we don't bite lol No man-bashing going on here, either. Sometimes humans hurt each other, but that's not a gender-thing. It's just life :)
I did go camping this weekend. Got burnt lol Loved it! I also realized, as I was packing up, that the camp chair Una (passed away July 1) gave me.is missing off my deck. When I came home from camping, the storage door on the RV was open AGAIN. Those, plus the small cement bird on my fountain being broken off & set on backwards, makes me realize for a dead certainty that "someone" has been on my property. If it's him, or his "girlfriend", he can be charged with breaking the Peace Bond. He's to stay 24 metres/80 ft away from my property. When I realized that the camp chair was gone, I saw red, and tomorrow a security company is coming to install a camera outside front & back, and a home security system as well. Peace of mind, to be sure. If he's captured on camera entering my yard, it's a chargeable offence. I hate to have a suspicious nature, but it's becoming obvious that someone is "thumbing their nose" at me, and I will deal with this.
I'm going camping again on the last w/e of the month, too :) My new tent needs another person to hold it up on one corner while I set in the other corner, but otherwise I can set it up myself. It is very large, but I don't do tiny tenting at my age lol
Betty - I could have sworn you were younger that me. Maybe you just sound that way on the phone lol You certainly keep yourself lively & busy!
If I missed anyone, I'm sorry. I read all posts but forget by the time it's my turn to post LOL

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7b)

Taters, are you a biker chick? Going to Sturgis, having tattoos, that goes hand in hand. I grew up on motorcycles, hodaka to be exact, wife doesn’t want me to have one, says they’re too dangerous. I don’t have one now, but I’ve gone to the DMV to get it added to my license. Done everything except the driving test, can’t do that without having a motorcycle. I’ll get there one way or another, license & motorcycle, guess I’ll have to surprise my wife when I do, she doesn’t even want me to have a vespa, she’s ruins my fun sometimes.

Tallulah, I love camping too, not the glamping kind, haven’t been in years, wife doesn’t like that either, I’m making her out to sound horrible, don’t mean too, we’re soulmates & that’s ok, it’s just life. I grew up on a big farm in VA, clinch river ran through the middle of it. Went fishing, camping, rode motorcycles, horseback riding, boating, swimming, gosh I sure miss those days.

Came a big storm here today, trees down, door blown off at CVS, roof over gas pumps blown off, electricity out all over town, still out at my home, storms are definitely getting worse.

Any of you gals into growing cacti? If so, what are your favorites, what u got? I never had any until this year, now I have several, absolutely love them. I’m learning or trying to learn how to provide the right amount of sunshine and how not to overwater them. Overwatering them is the most difficult part because of the unusual weather conditions we have here in Knoxville TN. I’ve learned I have to place them under the overhang of the house or they get too much water, and even then I have to watch them closely because too much rain can blow in on them, especially with these storms.

Gotta go feed my girls, Boo & Zoey, morkie & yorkie.
Forest

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7b)

Gosh!
I’m gonna have to tell my wife she has some competition, may just tell her I have a few new girlfriends! Maybe she will show me more loving! LOL I just can’t help myself!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.