Monstera adansonii advice

Los Angeles, CA

Hello All:

I have recently gotten into indoor plants. I bought this plant, a Monstera Adansonni. I bought it in the pot with the leaves just hanging. My neighbor told me that this is a much better plant as a "climber" and she gave me the moss poll in the pictures. I just want to know the following from anyone who loves these plants and know how to care for them:

1. How does this plant look generally? Healthy overall? Anything that looks of concern?

2. Does the plant need pruning? It seems like a lot of leaves are growing in toward the soil? Many of them are curled and have not spread out? Is that just because they are still new and growing up, or is that something else?

3. How much watering? How often and exactly how much per watering? A cup? Two cups? More or less?

4. I pinned the vines on the poll. Did I do it correctly? SHould I get another pole and let the plant climb even higher, or is it too early at this point?

4. Any other advice you care to give for care? I'm all ears,

And thank you in advance!

Thumbnail by ramled99 Thumbnail by ramled99 Thumbnail by ramled99 Thumbnail by ramled99
islamabad, Pakistan

The Monstera Adansonii should have green, healthy leaves without any yellowing, browning, or wilting. Check for any signs of pests, such as spider mites or mealybugs, which can affect the health of the plant.

Pruning can help the plant maintain a bushier shape, and remove any damaged or diseased leaves. However, if the leaves are simply curling or not spreading out, this may just be a natural growth pattern. New growth will typically be smaller and closer to the soil, while older leaves will be larger and higher up on the vine.

Monstera Adansonii prefers to be kept consistently moist but not waterlogged. Water when the top inch of soil feels dry, and water thoroughly until water runs out of the drainage holes. The exact amount of water will depend on the size of the pot and the humidity of your home, but aim for a moderate amount of water each time, typically enough to saturate the soil without leaving standing water in the saucer.

Moss poles can be a great way to encourage your Monstera Adansonii to climb and grow taller. It's fine to pin the vines to the pole, but be sure not to damage the stem or leaves. If the plant continues to grow, you may need to add additional support or a taller pole.

Monstera Adansonii prefers bright, indirect light, but avoid direct sunlight, which can scorch the leaves. Keep the plant in a warm and humid environment, and consider misting the leaves regularly or placing a humidifier nearby.

Fertilize your Monstera Adansonii once a month during the growing season (spring and summer) with a balanced, water-soluble fertilizer.

Overall, Monstera Adansonii is a relatively easy plant to care for, but it's important to monitor the soil moisture, light, and humidity to ensure it stays healthy and happy. Good luck with your plant!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.