hamamelis virginiana woes

Staten Island, NY

Hello,
Would anyone be able to help indicate what might be the issue with these hamamelis seedlings?

They were transplanted earlier summer this year in June from tubes to 1 gallon pots. When transplanted they receive a dose of osmocote fertilizer and a low dose of a miracle-grow type of product (not my personal horticultural practices as I use organic or better amendments and solutions).

They receive 20 minutes of irrigation nightly, as we have had next to no rain this summer here.

Last week they received a biological foliar spray of neem, fish, and seaweed.

The plan is to try another more holistic biological spray with above ingredients plus a microbial agent and molasses, however I feel like perhaps there is some other underlying issue for these symptoms that is not going to be corrected via spraying.

I appreciate the time, effort, and perspective people might be able to lend.

Thumbnail by plantkiller187 Thumbnail by plantkiller187 Thumbnail by plantkiller187 Thumbnail by plantkiller187 Thumbnail by plantkiller187
Castro Valley, CA

Sometimes when you overfeed, the plant gets too much of 1 thing that prevents the uptake of something else it needs. It looks like a nutrient deficiency to me. Did your fertilizers have all the needed elements plus micronutrients in it?
"Plants require 17 essential elements for growth: carbon (C), hydrogen (H), oxygen (O), nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), potassium (K), sulfur (S), cal- cium (Ca), magnesium (Mg), boron (B), chlorine (Cl), copper (Cu), iron (Fe), manganese (Mn), molybdenum (Mo), nickel (Ni), and zinc (Zn)."

It looks like maybe magnesium or iron deficiency to me. Google those leaves and see if either looks like yours.

Here is a great chart of leaves with nutrient deficiencies.
https://discuss.farmnest.com/t/deficiency-chart-of-plant-nutrients/22781/9

Were the leaves all a good green to start with? Did they suddenly change? Is the color changes just on the new growth with the older leaves green?

On a curious note, did you know there is a variegated cultivar, Hamamelis virginiana 'Green Thumb' that has the 2 tone leaves?
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/450257/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.