Zucchini Completely Demaged

Keene, NH

Hello guys, I am new in this community.
I have been searching a bit online but without finding an answer to my gardening issue I do have a garden with fences tall 7 feet. I have marigolds in front of the zucchini I do spray every night some repellent to avoid deers and other possible animals in my vegetable area. Here I have zucchini plants, tomatoes and arugula. The zucchini raised bed has netting that covers them. They have been attacked once by some pest and I was able to rescue them. The leaves were curled, brown and yellow and I found some tiny yellow and black insects.

Now I have a new devastating issue. Monday morning I have some TB first on two zucchini plant. I was waiting to see it was okay before using for anything else. I came back Wednesday and the plants, not just the 2, but all 4 of them were devastated. Branches bested down, almost all the leaves gone, eaten. A 2 inch hole in the netting I had, but the overall netting is not really brought away or moved. I have some magnets on a side to keep the netting as the raised bed is metal. They are totally fine. I include pictures. I used now some seven dust. I hate using this chemical stuff but I have no idea of what is going on and I am very worried about the demage and how to save my vegetable area.

Thumbnail by ValeGardening Thumbnail by ValeGardening Thumbnail by ValeGardening Thumbnail by ValeGardening
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Possibly squirrels but most likely rats. Rabbits usually, but not always, leave squashes, tomatoes and cucumbers alone because they don't like fuzzy leaves. This is absolutely not insect related.

It's unwise to use any chemical, organic or not, unless you know what you are treating. Even organic pesticides can kill pollinators when used improperly while non-organic Sevin is especially destructive to beneficial garden insects. Organic pesticide spray should be used as late in the day as possible when all bee and wasp activity has ceased and it has a chance to dry on the plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.