Crassula perfoliata advice needed

Chesterfield, United Kingdom

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can advise me on what I'm doing wrong with my Crassula perfoliata please? I'm new to succulents, and I've only had the C.perfoliata for just over a week, but I fear I've over-watered him (in fact I'm pretty sure I have, as I lifted his plant pot out of the pot he's in this morning, and it was standing in water).

I've tipped out the excess water and put some small stones in the bottom of the pot so that if I ever do give him a little too much to drink in the future, the pot shouldn't stand in the water, but some of the leaves are shrivelled and dead, some have black marks on them, and some look a little crumpled.

It was the crumpled leaves that lead me to think that it needed more water, hence me over-watering it. As I know succulents can absorb water through their leaves, I've also sprayed it a couple of times. I've just used the spray bottle with water in that I use to tame my hair in a morning with, and it's not a particularly fine mist, so I was wondering if I'd also sprayed too much water on the leaves. That doesn't seem to tie in with the crumpled leaves, which just look as though they just need 'plumping up' but otherwise look healthy enough though, and the lower leaves of the plant look healthy.

Is over-watering the problem here, and what can I do to rescue the plant? I wasn't sure if I should cut/pull off the damaged leaves or what to do for the best with being new to succulents. I've attached a few piccies of him (I've named him Percy) as well.

Thanks,

Bliss

Thumbnail by BlissC Thumbnail by BlissC Thumbnail by BlissC
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Probably over watering is the main issue. You can take the plant out of the plastic pot and place on a sponge or a newspaper to wick away a lot of the excess water. It won't help the existing leaves but it may save the plant. Use the cache pot for some other water loving plant but not for succulents.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.