Something\'s happening here, but it ain\'t exactly clear

Somers, NY

I've revived the growth and vigor of a bush that's in our garden by opening it's surrounding to more sunlight than it had been getting over the years. And, now it and some other shrubs that are near to it are doing great. I believe the bush in question is some kind of viburnum. It's problem is that while it is getting a really nice new growth, now the newest branch tips are being negatively effected by something. In the photos you'll be able to see the healthy grown and then, how in some areas the new leaves are curling and a whitish covering is observable. It won't scratch off at all so it's in the surface of the leaves that are curling. Any help with this is really appreciated.

Thumbnail by AviInTheGarden Thumbnail by AviInTheGarden Thumbnail by AviInTheGarden Thumbnail by AviInTheGarden Thumbnail by AviInTheGarden
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

This looks like wooly aphid damage. They leave a cotton-y residue as well as a hard to remove waxy residue. Aphids are especially attracted to plants feed with high nitrogen fertilizer because the leaves are more succulent. Try neem to treat.

Edited to add: Cute Buffalo Springfield reference.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2022 11:36 AM

Somers, NY

Thanks! I do have a professional tree service addressing all of the trees and shrubs on our property and I've been very satisfied...but...this happened and their treatments didn't do anything for it...I WILL try Neem...Thanks again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.