Arsenic in well water for gardening?

Pacific NorthWest, WA

Hi, I need a well drilled in a piece of land. I was reading some materials and it said there maybe arsenic in well water. And irrigated water can be separated from drinking water when water is pumped. If arsenic is found in the water from the well, is it safe not to filter the water for irrigation? (Of course, the drinking water will have filters for unwanted metals and minerals)

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It's not safe to drink, irrigate any plant material (edible or not) or even wash clothes with water contaminated with heavy metals. In addition, your well may contain unsafe levels of radon, a noble gas, which can be released into the air when you use water in your home. A certified inspector in your state should be called. I am no expert but a friend is a CDC biohazard chemist with a PhD. who specializes in such problems. Also, an acquaintance is a state water quality engineer. The first friend has been working on a project paper for several years where he gathers and tests bathroom sink and shower water from communities around the country with a history of water contamination. Only more recently have we become aware of those potential health hazards. The acquaintance tests waterways, springs and wells...anything with ground contact.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.