Best/Worse/What did I learn today? Come sit a spell, chat with friends,newcomers always welcome!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well I'm dreading the cost but we are hoping to make another trip to MI this month. My youngest son's stepson passed away and there will a celebration of his life the 26th.
Two years ago Matthew was having a problem with a neighbor. She was letting her dog out to run loose and it had come after him a few times. He told her if it happened again he was going to report her. Sure enough it got out again and threatened him in his own yard. He called police. In retaliation she called goon friend and had him beat Matthew. It was more than a beating it left Matt in a coma. First Drs. said he wouldn't survive it and then he wouldn't waken. He did both and made steady improvements. Steve and his wife took on his care as he was wheel chair bound and still had brain trauma.
Two weeks ago Matt choked on a bite of food and they couldn't get it dislodged. They called 911 and Steve kept Matt's heart beating until they arrived. They were also unable to clear his breathing. At the hospital, it took surgery. He was then in a coma and on a respirator. In two days he was declared brain dead. They kept his body going until they could transfer him and donate What usable organs he had. This has all been a horrible ordeal for Steve and his wife. Matthew was a sweet young man who started calling us grandma and grandpa as soon as they married.

BTW the goon is serving time but he wouldn't implicate the woman so they couldn't prove she caused it.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Good morning, snow is in the air..

There just are no words Karen, my condolences to your family..big loss!

I sure can understand why you want to make the trip..a must for support as long as you are well enough to do the trip.

Just can’t get it through my head how cruel people can be, has he already been through the court system? If not perhaps he will implicate the neighbour so she can get what she deserves.

Just feel so sad for you all

Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy Birthday Susan..am singing the birthday song, off key which you would catch as being in a choir in years gone by you would catch every off key..

The very best, here is wishing the best years for you are ahead..

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

So sorry to hear that Karen.
Keeping all of your family in our prayers.
Did you ever get your treatments you needed? If not, I pray you can get it before you leave.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Linda, Yes I got all my infusions and am a peppy person again.
We are working on recovering the counter stools. Using cloth this time. They had nice black vinyl but the cats dug it all up with their claws. Walt did all the taking off part. Now I have to see if I have enough cording for the trim or if a trip to JoAnn's is in order.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

We have twice lived next to people who had vicious dogs, SCAREY. I am so sorry for your family's loss.

Betty, yes we have a delicious recipe that is one or two servings, made in water bath in the microwave. Ben & my first date, I remember we shared a bread pudding for dessert at "Elmers" restaurant in Walla Walla.

Susan, Happy birthday!!! I hope your day is fun, filled with friends and laughter. It's so nice to read your posts full of positive energy and life. You deserve the best that life has to offer.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

We have stayed close to former neighbors almost everywhere we have lived. We were back visiting with one for a grad party and they told us the person who bought our house had a vicious dog. It actually went over the fence to attack the neighbors. They ended up having to take them to court to get their medical bills covered. I sure don't understand anyone even wanting to have a vicious dog. What did they do to make it that way? I'm sure the woman who caused the attack on Matt will get hers one day.

Victoria Harbour, ON

That is just terrible Karen, not sure how they turn vicious, must be how they are treated…but…
We had a St. Bernard for about 4 years before Roger died, kids down the road kept getting just at the end of his chain and taunted him to no end, ended up the minute he heard them he would growl and tried to break his chain…about a month or so after Roger died, his brother opened the door and startled him, Chico jumped at him and bit him, thank god he had a heavy coat on.

The next day i took him to the vet to have him put down, worried if a dog his size ever attacked a child or anyone for that matter so i couldn’t take a chance.. was a difficult decision after losing Roger.

The next day the vet called and said he was such a beautiful animal and would i consider giving him a to a farmer, lots of land…i said if he decided to do sordid not want to know

Storming here tonight, did groceries this afternoon because they are calling for storms Saturday day Sunday. The stained gladdstudio i used to go to moved into midland..ideal spot. I hadn’t been there because they moved just when Covid started. She is not teaching anymore, doing customer orders..
She had little pieces for sale, wow expensive but after i bought foil and a roll of solder for $42.00 it’s not a wonder..decided i will make stained glass for Xmas presents so got to start now.

Bought bags of chocolates for bunnies I’ve made, think I’ve ten done, here is hoping i i don’t get into them
lol

This message was edited Mar 11, 2022 7:13 PM

Nope, best I NOT have chocolate in the house! Betty you are brave, you have BOY bunnies and Girl bunnies... you could have LOTS fo bunnies!!! LOL

I think my sister's depression is about as bad as I have ever seen it. I am hoping to talk her into a trip back to New York. I will take care of her husband. She NEEDS a break. It is unfortunate that we can't go together for more than overnight anywhere.. That is as long as Phil can go without being wrapped in the morning without complications. .

Glad you are feeling better after your infusion Karen.
Happy birthday Susan. Enjoy your day.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, bitter cold here with snow shawls and same tomorrow..glad i got my shopping done yesterday. Weatherman Dianne says we will jump from March right into May weather, here is hoping..seems like forever as i was spoilt and had all done by April 4th

That is so sad that you can’t go with her Pat, are there no i home care givers you can hire for a few days or would he not go for that?

Been a good girl, I’ve filled 8 bunnies and never ate a chocolate filling the six last night.. doing some all different colours, yellow not m y favourite..want a few dozen done before Easter so that isn’t hard to do

Little Ezra has a cold so he is not coming today, as i haven’t heard from Evan and Mason i assume they are coming..must go cut background as they are doing an Easter hanging..2 week project.

So this weekend I am hoping to quilt the Bunny throw (not sure how i will quilt it)
Finish Braedon’s car Matt and embroider 2 gol f towels..if i get that done i will be a happy camper.

Saw a add on our local community thread, a woman was asking if our Martyrs Shrine was open, won’t be til May, she was looking for articles for first communion gift, hard to find..i looked in my stash of Misc things and found some, more girl things than boy..she didn’t say which gender she needed but i posted what i had…FREE to someone.

What will you be up to

Likely some gardening I bet, i bought ice cream cones to start my sunflowers, think I will do inside gardening and get them started

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Glad I didn't start the gardening. 28 degrees this morning.
I will be inside most of the day.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

2" of snow here over night. Doesn't sound like much but it was 70 yesterday.

We are going to put the kitchen stools back together today.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Bet the stools will look fabulous Karen..quite a change for you, weather here is cold but sun is out, having lunch then hopefully downstairs i go

Lordy Lindakay that is about my weather, cold for you, heaters come back out?

Got a message early this morning that Ezra has a bad cold and that Evan (always wants to play) decided he didn’t want to come so had a wonder morning with Mason, he picks up thinks so quickly and enjoys it.

He made.at 16x20 Easter piece..taught him how to make a Pom Pom for bunny, said we would do the rest next week, still had a 1/2 hr left so i cashed if he wanted to try random quilting, he seemed to handle that well so quilted the top..as always I am amazed at what kids can do. While he worked I did 2 more bunnies.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Phil can be very selfish & self centered. He tolerates me taking care of him, mostly because he KNOWS me and realizes I have years of experience wrapping legs etc. Getting him to allow someone else to care for him would be REALLY difficult. He didn't even want to allow his brother to do it the last time Marie & I went out of town when they were staying at the house. They come every summer in their motorhome for several months. Also, Phil & Marie live in Burbank, which about 15 minutes out of town & most caregivers would not go for the idea of the drive to out of the way place.
I've talked to their daughter & she hopes to talk Marie into coming to New York again 4/19. We'll see
Pantograph class today! YEAH!

Yes, the heaters are back out.
Pat, enjoy your Pantograph class today. I enjoy using the pantographs when quilting.
Betty, he did an awesome job on his project.

Victoria Harbour, ON

That is selfish Pat

I enjoy pantograph as well however most of my quilts seem to need design quilting

Yes! Mason did a great job, Saturday he will appliqué the eggs , attach a sleeve for dowel.

Came up, had lunch and fell asleep for a few hours, I’ll go turn everything off downstairs and bring some stained glass patter books and see if i have any abstract patterns as it would be easier on my shoulder

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I had a lovely day yesterday, out for lunch with 6 dear friends. Five of my friends were unable to come, but one extra dropped by the restaurant to give me a gift :)
One of my friends paid for my lunch, and another one sent out for cupcakes. Joan had a sparkler, and lit it, and took a picture. I also had my camera and the server took our pictures.as a group.

Pat, I agree, Phil is very self-centered and selfish. That's putting a lot of burden on you, and as home-care won't come out this is the best he's going to get so he needs to "man-up" and take what he can get!

Today I got another bunch of boxes out to the RV. The only things left of Bob's are his computers and DVDs. I hadn't wanted to put those out in the bad, cold weather, thinking it would ruin equipment & DVDs.
Our 1 ft of snow is starting to melt, and we're seeing temps in the plus celcius for a change. Grateful for that.

Hey Susan. Glad to hear you had a day with friends. Sounds like you ate just about done move his things out. Any idea when you go to court to finalize things?

Mason is just rocking this whole sewing thing!! Look at him go!!

So glad that you got to have so many friends to celebrate with Susan! fun for sure.

We finished the pantograph class, we scheduled to longarm a panto on Tuesday for Marie's quilt that needs to be ready to deliver on 3/24 for the show 3/25 & 3/26. I picked up my 2 quilts today (the longarm quilt fell asleep and did not call me for pickup yesterday). I'll show a final picture when all the bindings are on, etc.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

His trial date for assaulting me is April 7th. After that I will work on the divorce. One thing at a time. :)

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

These are the bar stools we recovered. Took Walt three days to disassemble. Took us three hours to redo.
The fabric doesn't photo well It's not this pink, more of a brick color. Not my fav but it's what was available. I would rather have the black vinyl that was on them but the cats claws just tore it up. So not great but better than they were.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

Great job on the new covers Karen.
Susan, we will keep you in our prayers for all you are going through.
Pat, can't wait to see your quilts.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, guess I forgot to tell Ziggy about the time change, 4:30 he was in a tizzy so i got up.by five i decided i needed some fresh air and the snow that had fallen was light as feathers so I spent 1/2 out outside, housework done and now ready to take on the day after my 2nd coffee.

Karen, reupholstered chairs are A+, you and Walt did a fantastic job, a set of 4?
When will you leave for the north country, perhaps this time there will be no worry of storms.

A neighbour had similar Situation Susan, he got probation and not able to be near his girlfriend for 3 months…as you say, one day at a time.

Anxious to see all your quilts as well.

Drats, Ziggy sleeping beside me, not a care in the world and now i am wide awake
Time to go downstairs and sandwich the kitty quilt.

Hope you are all doing something exciting today

Another quilt finished.
Double hexagon, green fabric is the backing.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
Victoria Harbour, ON

Love it Lindakay, hexi’s are beaiful.
Lordy it could be reversible..love the quilting as well

Was headed downstairs and decided to repot a calla lily then ended up with 36 ice cream pods housing mammoth sunflowers..wish a had a greenhouse..next trip to town i will purchase 100 mini pots and start the others..still 6 packages of sunflowers and about same for various other seeds.

Linda, your batik hexis are beautiful, I have NEVER done any! Not on my bucket list for a while, too many other projects to finish.

Susan, hang in there, some day it will just be a memory and you will have an even better life than now, free from that stress.

Karen, nicely done!!! Amazing what we do because of our pets.

I enjoyed the panto class, it was 6 hours long and she showed us probably a 100 panto designs that the shop has available to "rent" for $5. We all got time on the longarm and practiced both a full design and how to deal with partials.

Victoria Harbour, ON

You know you are encouraging me to do a quilt i can do with my panto designs, did you enjoy it Pat? I ordered an “x box grid” for Sharon and I, waiting it to come in, i have enough earth tones i could try their techniques with it, also have earth tone backing so it’s a design I’m sure i can use panto.

I’m resting for a bit, i am all over the place today, shovelled this morning, fluffy 1” so fun, then on my knees putting throw together, did a bunch of containers starting sunflower seeds, cut a few pieces of clear glass for a piecei started before Covid..in order to finish the piece, need 2-2” bevels and 1-4”, rest i had , made handles for Grayson’s play Matt as well as a load wash so i think I deserve a break.

This afternoon I will number the glass pieces, take a picture and do some of the lead taping in the evening so i can start o solder..been so long…it always looks crappy until you put patina on it and was and buff, brings it all together

A friend last year dropped off sheets of glass and a big box of cuttings..Sharon just told me she doesn’t want to do stained glass anymore a d said she had 2 boxes of glass, hmmm do I find a home for them here?

Beautiful projects Betty. I have never done stained glass.

Thanks for the compliments. I enjoy doing hexies.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm actually not under a lot of stress. Having him out of the house, and everything's done except the divorce, all I'm involved in is living my life as I want to, clearing out some stuff, and making it MINE. It's a very healing process and it makes me happy.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Went to Sharon’s…she had i full box of glass then another box with stained glass supplies and books, actually she taught me how to do my 1st piece, it’s hanging in the washroom window. Anyway it was a surprise box, enjoyed going through it.

There is really nothing I would make out of them I’m sure but will put them with my other books..there were 2 kits for a bird, i will do one for a gift and 1 for Sharon seeing it’s her kits lol

Then there were 5 panels for a mallard duck lamp, she had the 6th cut out and my dad passed so she just boxed it it..because she through everything in a box there are 2 panels that need repair, here is hoping there is enough of the specialty white glass to do so. My godson Paul is a hunter and has a cottage and a hunting camp, he is the one i gave that beautiful winter solstice quilt to for Xmas, however it’s still here because of Covid, I’ll check out how much the base is likely a few hundred $$ bit if i can find one cheaper i will give it to him for this Xmas.

3 rolls of foiling tape, i paid $20 for the one I just bought, I’m afraid they are so old the glue will be dried out and have to be thrown away..that would be sad.

Drats, my living room was clean and now a disaster

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Glad that things are getting easier for you Susan, let’s hope the future brings more ups than downs

Very addictive Lindakay, just ask Dianne…

I have so much glass and supplies and every tool imaginable, even a glass scroll saw.. almost afraid to start up, not so sure it isn’t more expensive than quilting.

Also a circle cutter, might give it back to her
This is the lamp Sharon was doing

Those are beautiful Betty.
Don't think I need another hobby. Quilting and crafts keep me busy.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Tell me about it..I’m thinking Christmas if you you can imagine as i won’t be doing much once gardening starts

Drats, just climbed into bed, Ziggy beside me and see the kitchen light shinning in my room, guess it will stay on

Yes, once I am in bed, the only thing that pries me out is a trip to the bathroom!! (Or forgetting to take out my hearing aids! )

Tuesday Marie & I will do a panto on her heart quilt. I honestly don't know if I will use a panto next, or free motion. It sounds silly I suppose, but I don't think I want to do the same pattern as Marie. If I am faster or better at it, she will feel bad about it and judge herself as inadequate. THAT is the last thing we need and she is VERY prone to that right now.

Tomorrow my SIL Sharon will come and will do the table clothes & napkins for her church ladies special tea party.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'd thought of doing stained glass a couple of years ago. A neighbour was going to throw out her supplies. She used to do it for a business, and decided to sell the supplies to me, but then changed her mind.
I agree, I really don't need another craft hahaha

Those are really pretty, Betty. Will you have time to do them? NAH!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning 23f out there this morning, mixture of snow and rain
Posting a photo of our forecast…oh happy days, a warm up trend

That is being so thoughtful Pat, you are right, best change design so she can’t compare..i sometimes get intimidated by Sharon’s quilting but then she uses all rulers, once i get my neck under control just might so some. The church girls will love a nice setting for their tea party.

I was thinking this summer I would love to have a tea party, just open it up to 20 people, I’d never do the garden tours as i am sure the gardens in those tours are spectacular but a little t party maybe for friends would be grand..we will see.

Yes Susan, i too should not have started but then i wouldn’t have all the pretties I’ve made, all the lamps and window hangings, back then although expensive at the time is nowhere expensive as it is today, wayyy over the top.

Need to a vacuum, have breakfast then free for the day
Will quilt a bit the start cleaning off my stained glass area, ever have a place that is a catch all, well for me it’s my stained glass work area.

Grrr need a bandaid, Ziggy has started this hitting me with his paw when a walk by, skin must be thin because t he scratch bleeds like heck..anyone have any suggestion as to stop this..

He went out for a few minutes, didn’t get totally sprayed but just enough that i can smell skunk 8n the house

YIKES Ziggy!!! BAD boy, that is a nasty habit to start. If you are on anti-inflammatories (in my case Naproxen) aspirin or other blood thinners, you are going bleed like crazy Betty. I would use a spray bottle with water and be "armed" as much as possible so you can spray him at every opportunity when he swiped at you. I also would use a REALLY stern voice "BAD BOY Ziggy!" I don't remember if you said he was particularly unhappy about water like my kitty is. Stanley HATES water and I have been very successful with a water sprayer.

Verona, ON

Betty you can get a spray at the vet's called Skunk Off. It works immediately. The best thing is it doesn't cover the smell but break it down. Works on humans and clothes too. I keep one on hand just in case.

I am probably 1 of the few stained glass artisans who only has 1 piece of SG in their house. I have 1 piece I designed myself and it hangs in my bedroom window. If any of you are thinking of trying it as a hobby please don't buy any equipment. Take a class and use their equipment until you find out if you enjoy it. There is also not 1 piece of SG equipment in the house - I had 4 grinders of different sizes. I either sold or gave away all my books and equipment. The only thing I held onto were my original designs. I still design pieces for people but they have to find their own SG artisan to complete the project. Some of my pieces hang in the Vatican and I still design pieces for priests who reside there. When I first accepted a Visa that had The Vatican stamped on it I just about fainted. I had several questions of the handsome well dressed man handing me the card.

Had a terrible tumble over a week ago and my left leg is still swollen, bruised and very painful. The best news is last Wed I had a follow up laser surgery to my cataract surgery. Wow I have not seen that clearly or brightly in years. No pain at all!!

Good for you Susan. I am so happy for you that you are enjoying your life now.

You all sound busy!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Break time, going to make a salad, need a tomato so i will go pick up my scrips and stop at Foodland..they had pop on, six pack 2/$6.00, bought 6 Sunday and there were few on the shelf, unless they got stock in i might be out of luck.

Sticker to my plan, quilted 1/2 the throw, all the easy straight lines, now it’s deciding what i want to do with the rest tomorrow..started on stained glass area, did you ever started to clean and it just seems you are moving one thing a few inches from where it was, don’t want to throw anything that can be used should i decide i enjoy it again.

Wow Dianne, you are famous, how exciting to think when you see Pope speak that you have a,piece in his home, the Vatican well what I do must be beginner stage to you..lol. You are so right, take a series of classes to determine if it’s something you really want to take on..i went to Barrie once a week for about 6 months, enjoyed the classes.

On the shelf I just cleaned there are a few empty spray bottles, I’ll keep one downstairs and one upstairs, I’ll look might even be a pocket size spray bottle, that would be better, can spray as soon as he does it..i don’t know if he is playing or wants to catch y attention, a lot of the time he is upstairs and i come from downstairs, he puts his claw between the rails and tries to get me, not this morning, i was just in the kitchen..i takes in very harsh tone, waved my finer, even took my foot and booted him, not to worry, was very light so he knew i was angry.

Off to the pharmacy, I’m hungry and i want a salad

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.