Are these Thrips in my Garden?

Spanish Fort, AL(Zone 9a)

Can someone confirm that this is a thrip? I found it on the leaf of my watermelon. Will SaferBrand Insecticide get rid of them?

Thumbnail by noble13 Thumbnail by noble13 Thumbnail by noble13
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hello.

I am not certain that they are thrips, but I had them on my white peonies (turned the edges brown) my deutzias (destroyed the bloom cycle) and on a once blooming rose. That said, I know exactly what to do about it.

What works like a charm, without hurting beneficials?

Acephate:

How does acephate work? I call it "you bite, you die".

When insects eat acephate, their bodies turn it into a chemical called methamidophos, which is another, stronger insecticide. Acephate is less toxic in mammals because mammal bodies do not turn it into methamidophos very well.

Acephate and methamidophos affect the nervous system, causing over-activity in the nerves, muscles, or brain. Acephate is absorbed into plants, so insects that feed on treated plants may eat acephate.

Use it in early spring after the plants start to leaf out. You want to make sure they don't get into the bud.

It's the active ingredient in Bonide's version, amongst others. Get a liquid so that you can dilute it. Very cost effective.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.