Please help me save my mom’s jade plant!!

Melbourne, FL

Good morning, my mom had a beautiful jade plant that I ended up with after she passed away two years ago. I’ve had some problems with it (overwatering) but I thought I was good with the last part of Jackie that had survived (named for the name my mom said she wished was hers when she was a little girl). Jackie has been on my porch in Florida and seemed to be doing well. Until this morning, that is, when I checked on her and saw that somehow her trunk was cut almost completely through. No idea what happened, this is a screened porch, no pets or critters.

My question is, what can I do to revive her? I’ve not had good luck in propagating other limbs of hers, they’ve all ended mushy. I’m willing to try again, but want to make sure I’m successful. This is my last chance for my moms plant!! How should I trim the branches that broke off to ensure success? Can I propagate the whole piece that has three limbs? Or would it be better to treat as three? If so, how far up should I cut?

Also, is it possible that new growth will come from the trunk that has roots? I plan to keep it in the soil just in case, but any suggestions on how to encourage growth, it that’s possible, would be great.

Thank you in advance xoxo

Melbourne, FL

This is my first time posting on these boards— not sure if the photos I posted in my original post are showing (don’t see them on my end), so I am adding them here.

Thumbnail by Googiegirl Thumbnail by Googiegirl
Castro Valley, CA

A jade plant is 1 of the easiest plants to propagate as are many succulents. You can even easily root just 1 leaf as well as any size cutting. So do not despair.

I do wonder if the stem broke off due to it being rotten. It looks a bit rotten. Is it soft? If so, it is dead. If not, it could put out side shoots.

Regardless, the top looks good. If the end where it broke off is soft and looking rotten, just cut off the bad till you get to green clean tissue. Let it callous over then put in a pot of brand new soil, must be fast draining!! Make the pots small, like 4 inch. That will help it to dry out by not having a lot of saturated soil keeping the stem too wet and vulnerable to rotting.

I might do a few cuttings from your piece left to increase your chance for success though Jades are so easy to root, I wonder how you failed in the past. I suspect you used a heavy soil and over watered. Succulents hold water in their succulent leaves so they can go dry longer.

Even if you just laid down a few leaves or even a branch across some damp soil, they would send out roots.

I looked at You Tube and they have a ton of videos showing you step be step to root Jades. I picked this one that seemed to cover it well. But look and see which is most helpful to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si1DfOR-p3A

Here is an article on it. I took this picture from it showing a new plant started by just a leaf cutting, no stem.
https://www.gardeningdream.com/how-to-root-a-jade-plant/

I cannot tell you what fun it is to watch the baby plants grow from just a leaf. Often friends will gift you a leaf or 2 of their favorite succulents. It is easy to get hooked on starting them like this.

Thumbnail by ZilyZily

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.