Photo by Melody

Propagation: Please help me save my mom’s jade plant!!, 1 by ZilyZily

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ZilyZily

In reply to: Please help me save my mom’s jade plant!!

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Please help me save my mom’s jade plant!!
ZilyZily wrote:
A jade plant is 1 of the easiest plants to propagate as are many succulents. You can even easily root just 1 leaf as well as any size cutting. So do not despair.

I do wonder if the stem broke off due to it being rotten. It looks a bit rotten. Is it soft? If so, it is dead. If not, it could put out side shoots.

Regardless, the top looks good. If the end where it broke off is soft and looking rotten, just cut off the bad till you get to green clean tissue. Let it callous over then put in a pot of brand new soil, must be fast draining!! Make the pots small, like 4 inch. That will help it to dry out by not having a lot of saturated soil keeping the stem too wet and vulnerable to rotting.

I might do a few cuttings from your piece left to increase your chance for success though Jades are so easy to root, I wonder how you failed in the past. I suspect you used a heavy soil and over watered. Succulents hold water in their succulent leaves so they can go dry longer.

Even if you just laid down a few leaves or even a branch across some damp soil, they would send out roots.

I looked at You Tube and they have a ton of videos showing you step be step to root Jades. I picked this one that seemed to cover it well. But look and see which is most helpful to you.
[HYPERLINK@www.youtube.com]

Here is an article on it. I took this picture from it showing a new plant started by just a leaf cutting, no stem.
[HYPERLINK@www.gardeningdream.com]

I cannot tell you what fun it is to watch the baby plants grow from just a leaf. Often friends will gift you a leaf or 2 of their favorite succulents. It is easy to get hooked on starting them like this.