Brugmansia Leaves Curling

Every summer my Angel's Trumpet tree becomes overwhelmed with curling, small leaves. It appears normal in the spring and then gradually gets worse as the summer progresses. I cannot see any bugs/fungus/etc. Other Brugmansia trees in my neighborhood appear to be healthy.. Can anyone identify the problem and suggest how to treat it?

Thumbnail by fairwindy Thumbnail by fairwindy Thumbnail by fairwindy
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Brugmansia, Datura, also known as Angels Trumpets, will exhibit signs of leaf curl if they are in full sun; they prefer partial sun. They also require frequent feeding to prevent leaf yellowing and stimulate the growth of the large flowers they produce. Intraflora - Gifts flowers and Plants

Castro Valley, CA

You have the worst case of broad mites I have ever seen. Hard to get rid of. You need to buy a good miticide and spray the heck out of it. Read the label to make sure it kills broad mites, some do not.

Forbid and Avid might work though I forget if they both kill broad mites. I would have 2 kinds and switch back and forth for mites mutate easily and miticides cease being effective.

I was trying to see where you live. How do you overwinter your brugs?

I would cut off as much of the effected leaves as you can. Bag them well. Less to treat, less to kill. And those leaves are goners already.

This has some good info. Scroll down to section on broad mites.
https://www.syngentacropprotection.com/assets/assetlibrary/miticide_rotation.pdf

Edited to add: I found broad mites would always start at the baby new growth. They are like a mite magnet. So when I watered I always inspected the new baby leaves. You can tell instantly if they are infested. The leaves have that look. The curl and they get a bit lighter in color and if you feel them they are stiff and easily break. If you catch it fast, it is so much easier to treat.

When doing my routine watering, I also always water the leaves, esp the undersides where mites live with a strong spray. Mites like it dry.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2021 2:12 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.