Grubs?

Brooklyn, NY

Very basic question, I assume: I was planting a shrub and came across a whole lot of these guys. Grubs, right? But what kind, how bad are they, and how best to combat them? I'm open to both organic and non-organic solutions (at the risk of being judged ;- ) Overall, our soil is pretty healthy, and many things are doing just fine. But my shrubs are a little hit or miss (pieris/andromeda, kalmia/mountain laurel, and azalea), and I wonder if these guys aren't at least partly to blame. Thanks for suggestions!

Thumbnail by fredmogul Thumbnail by fredmogul Thumbnail by fredmogul
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I used Milky spore for grubs (those look like Japanese beetle grubs, by the way), and it reduced the little devils by 90%.

I am now in a yard in which milky spore was used once, about 15 years ago, and I only see 4-5 grubs a year.

I do notice that you have a lot of plants that prefer a soil with a low ph. Do you know what your ph is? I struggled with myrica pennsylvanica (northern bayberries) and fothergilla gardenii until I realized that my ph of 7.9 was a bit much for plants that were in the acid range.Twice yearly applications of Ironite did the trick.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.