SOLVED: Confirm ID Dutchman’s

Amelia Court House, VA(Zone 7b)

Been looking for this guy 1 day shy of a year and after many false hopes I think I finally have it!

I seen it yesterday not in its habitat but randomly under a hedge in a bank parking lot.

It does not have much for roots so I suspect what happened is a seed must have been in the mulch.

Anyway this guy looks nearly identical to the stock photos so I’m like 95% sure.

Quick few questions:

What type of soil and wetness does it prefer?

I’m thinking woodland/acidic and damp?

Is it a sun loving plant or a shade loving plant?

Most importantly is it sensitive on the roots or vigorous.

Aka can I transfer it and it not die?

When I removed the plant it took no effort so the roots were in the mulch but not very developed yet plus the cooler weather suggests it is going dormant.

Lmk what you think/confirm id please!

Thumbnail by Efbobby Thumbnail by Efbobby
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Looks like the air potato plant (Dioscorea of some kind).

Amelia Court House, VA(Zone 7b)

I will grow it out some first but for now I’m still hoping it could be a tomentosa maybe?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Examine your plant closely (look at and document the small details) in addition to grossly (looking at large items like leaf morphology).

Each of those simple leaves is composed of parts: the overall leaf morphology (kind of heart shaped), the base (kind of cordate), the margin (entire), and the apex/apices (that middle leaf appears to be acuminate). There is also the petiole (attaches leaf blade to stem), the veins (which appear to differ markedly from Dutchman's Pipe), and the appearance of the underside of the leaf (versus the upper/top surface). These leaf surfaces appear to be glabrous above and below, but a closer detailed view would determine if there is any pubescence anywhere to note.

This is the importance of taking good clear and copious pictures of things that one desires an exact identity for. I would ask that you take more pics of whatever plant parts you have left - ESPECIALLY of the stems and the buds at the base of each leaf petiole (if there is one) - because in these details is often found exact identities.

I don't think this plant is an Aristolochia sp., and it can't be Aristolochia tomentosa since there is no pubescence nor tomentum evident anywhere in your images. See this PlantFiles entry:

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/149493/

Here is the entry for Aristolochia macrophylla:

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55232

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.