How did your garden fare this year?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Been quite a while since i have been on this site, i've decided that i need to put more time into my account on this site though so i'm looking forward to seeing all of the great content on here again!

This year has been a great (and wild) gardening year for sure i have to say! One big positive is that i scaled up the size of the garden to about double what the last one was. It was a slower process than i would have liked, given the situation of things this year, but i was able to still get the chives and other perennial herbs, and native flowers for the pollinators moved in to it. There was even enough time to manage a radish harvest and some carrots and kale later on. Partially thanks to the freak late cold snap that kept them going longer without bolting i believe.

Then some time about early summer, it hit! When my dad tilled over the plot we apparently didn't thoroughly remove all of the leftover yard grass roots and they came back with an absolute vengeance and i fought it pretty much all summer long. We eventually did get the grass situation under control and we threw down some mulch over the walking paths to smother out any leftovers.

I did have tomatoes planted but that late freeze that came through around the end of may totally zapped those out and i never bothered to replant. The usual safe planting date apparently didnt apply for this year! Surprisingly the sweet corn bounced back from it and i still got 4 gallon bags full. I grew a variety from pinetree called "Delectable" that has so far been the best producer for me.

We also planted some yellow straightneck squash and i ended up with a mystery squash that had a green end on it (as seen in the second picture), however the cold snap had weakened them all so that the harvest was very pathetic. I also had to re sow my blue lake bush beans and henderson lima beans but they eventually did really well despite the later start.

One of the real all stars of this years garden though were the pickling cucumbers. I think in total we finished up about 32 quart jars worth of them and they still just kept coming, we were tired of pickling by that point and just started using them in salads. We also planted some bell peppers and jimmy nardello peppers that were slow to start but then later on took of like lighting.

Once it was time to get the autumn garden in gear i put in a second planting of those squash which did so much better than the spring planting and lasted well into late october. I also planted a small batch of collard greens that did pretty well. The fall planting was my garden's "last hurrah" before petering out, giving me the biggest bumper crop before everything started suffering from the cold. At one point we started getting tired of all the peppers coming in!

I am honestly really surprised with what this year gave me with such a freshly made garden plot.

Whew, sorry about the mini novel, lets hear about how your gardens all went!

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

2020 was good to me. Lots of sunshine & just right rain. I have a huge patch of pickling cucumbers, 7 rows 120 ft long. Picked 3 times a week. Largest picking was 256 lbs. I grow tomatoes in hoophouses, 3houses 728 plants. First tomatoes were June 9th. Not bad for Minnesota. I ate the last one last week. They are all tied to a string from the roof & pruned to one stem. Pulled old plants last week & most were 15 feet long.
We tried polypropylene ground cover in the houses this year. Boy was it fun to not have to weed. Going to cover lots of the garden, too. Will be using 16, 300 foot rolls. We have a 2½ acres of garden besides the houses.
A few pictures.
April 17 planting first tomatoes.
April 22 they growing good.
May 8, strings are up.
June 9, tomatoes for sale.
May 28, planting unheated house. Burned holes in the fabric to plant in.

Go to next post.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

More Pictures.
June 10, they grow fast.
June 12, some getting ripe.
June 23, they will soon be to the top.
May 12, planting cabbage, broccoli & cauliflower.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

@ CountryGardens

Those tomatoes look amazing! I've been thinking of trying the single stem method for myself next year. Ive heard nothing but good things about it so i figure its time to give it a go. No greenhouse here to string them up on so will go with some really tall stakes instead.

The verities i had intended to grow last year were cherokee purple, big rainbow, barne's mountain orange and black vernissage. I will give those another try next year along with green zebra, white tomesol, black beauty and big beef.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

One of my best years! Cole crops still growing in zone 6b.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Our killing frost came late. Not good here because we didn't get the ground ready for next year before it froze solid.
Finished ordering seeds last week. Couldn't get some last because they were sold out.
I am trying lots of new things & cutting out some that didn't pass my test.
Got lots of ideas from You Tube videos.
One is Veggie boys.
Others are Livingtradionshomestead; springhillfarms; vwfamilyfarms;
roots and refuge

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

I also do still have some kale and collard greens down in my garden even despite winter temperatures setting in. I also have some pak choi down there that went to bolt that i'm waiting for them to finish their seed for me to save for next year. There are also some cabbages down there that are starting to form heads.

And i definitely hear you on the seed ordering, i have been browsing through the sites for some new varieties to try out and goodness i've never seen so many sold out signs at one time! I had been hoping to get my hands on purple magnolia snap peas for next spring but every site that carries them also has that big red "sold out" on them. :(

Speaking of youtube, i have also been watching a gardening channel myself, i stumbled onto one called "MIGardener" a while back and have been hooked ever since!

This message was edited Dec 21, 2020 12:06 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

www.johnnyseeds.com has a a purple snap call Royal Snap ll. We grew it last year & it was very good.
I'll have to check that out.
I was looking through some sites last night & spent more money.
Holmes Seeds has a cabbage called "Megaton". Supposed to be 20+ lbs.
We'll see.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i just took a look too and it looks like the seed stores have refreshed their stock (yay!), was able to snag some of those peas after all. In the process i got distracted and a package of detroit white beet seed found its way into my cart as well!

They say that in order to get proper nutrition, one should eat as many colors of veggies as possible so thats my plan for next years garden, growing as many color varieties as i can reasonably fit into my garden space, with the exception of the green beans and the sweet corn (otherwise my parents wont eat those, or really anything that they refer to as having "weird colors") 🤣

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.