Possible herbicide damage or awful disease?

Brooklyn, NY

Hi everyone, I’m hoping you can help me. I’ve been an organic gardener for the ten years and I have NEVER seen anything like this on any of my plants. I’m in zone 7a and it has been in the high 80s-98f throughout July. I was helping my folks with their garden this year and everything was growing beautifully before I left them early July. When I returned yesterday (3.5 weeks later) I found the strangest damage to plants I’ve ever seen...
The tomatoes have brown stems that have intense primordia high up on the plants. The same bumps are all over the marigolds and basil, which are all on one side of the garden. The marigolds are developing odd shapes flowers. The sunflowers leaves are twisted and the heads are not properly developed.

After investigating I found out my folks hired someone to “take care of the weeds” and they sprayed herbicide to kill off a type of grass that is invasive in the yard...

Is this damage due to herbicide or do I have a terrible plant disease running rampant? Please see pictures attached and thank you ahead of time.

Thumbnail by LGurbangardener Thumbnail by LGurbangardener Thumbnail by LGurbangardener Thumbnail by LGurbangardener Thumbnail by LGurbangardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.