Whats eating my smurf tomatoes!?!? Please help!!

Harrisburg, PA

Hey, any help is greatly appreciated! Last year I had a small vegetable plot in just our side garden bed, not the greatest due to location/moderate sun. However no last problems. This is my first year doing a vegetable garden in a new raised bed. I have a small green, mesh/vinyl fence around the garden that I suppose maybe a deer or raccoon has ripped itself an opening. The point being, I've had animals/ pests destroying the garden for the last couple weeks. As soon as a tomato ripens or swiss chard is ready to harvest it gets eaten. Some tomatoes just have holes, others are just completely gone. It also looks like something has been digging small holes about 4 to 5 inches deep around my garden bed. It being my first year, I've spent alot of time and money and am just watching it go to waste. Extremely frustrating. It's an every night occurence now and is to the point it doesn't seem like il be doing any harvesting. Does anyone know what this damage is from? If so any advice on stopping this so I can actually have the vegetables I've been growing??

Thumbnail by Mdell Thumbnail by Mdell Thumbnail by Mdell Thumbnail by Mdell
Cabot, AR

I have a similar issue. Found a decent sized caterpillar in/on one of my tomatoes. Just finished spraying plants with some Bacillus thuringiensis spray. Once they take a bite they should fairly quickly turn into zombies and die after a while.

Try checking them early in the AM or use a flashlight after dark.

Waterbury, CT

I've had deer eat the tops off of tomato and squash plants (we have them on video). I think squirrels took bites out of strawberries and cucumbers, and skunks were digging in the beds.
I bought a bolt of tulle fabric and I wrap it around my plot every night. I also spray it with Deer-Away about once a week. Nothing has been eaten since. I got complacent for a couple of days a month ago and the deer came back on the second day. I don't think the critters like the feel of the tulle. It's a hassle, but my garden is small.

Waterbury, CT

Here's a picture, all of the plants in the front are in containers and I have three small raised beds in the back.

Thumbnail by no1nct
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I have heard that some animals will eat tomatoes due to thirst. you can try setting out some water somewhere. (changing it out to prevent mosquitoes of course). swiss chard.. deer or rabbits.. tomatoes can be all of the above plus squirrels, birds etc

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.