What kind of critter eats flowers?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Over the course of the last two weeks something has bitten off the stems of the flours on four different plants at about 4 to 8 inches and then bitten off and removed/eaten/dragged off the flowers from the other end, leaving the severed, beheaded stem. One plant was an anemone robustissima. The other were some delphinium that I'd bought this year and which bloomed before they were two feet tall. The stems were very thin, so it suggests a small critter. I've wrestled with woodchuck problems over the years, and would expect much more devestation if it were a woodchuck. Any ideas as to what this might be and what I might do about it? I'm going to set out a have-a-heart trap with a bouquet of the remaining blooming delphinium in it as bait.

Thumbnail by LAS14
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I have spittle bugs and leaf hoppers that I suspect of the same thing down here, but haven't caught them yet. Also grasshoppers as they grow will do this damage.

Bethany, OK

That might be a squirrel or even a rabbit. But are you sure that's a critter? That might be a slug or a snail.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

And mice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.