Bignonia in bad condition

Rome, Italy

Hi!
Since the vegetative restart, the leaves of this Bignonia have always been like this. It is watered with sprinklers for 20 minutes every 3 days which seems excessive to me knowing it as a plant with very little need for water.
The presence of pests was not detected in both leaf pages.
Could it be that the excessive intake of water caused radical suffering (asphyxiation, rot)?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by scatola Thumbnail by scatola
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Could they have been sprayed with some kind of herbicide in the past?

I have two different ones and wished I could keep them contained. This one going up my evergreen died after blooming this year. That may be a blessing for the evergreen though. I still have plenty of it elsewhere.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Rome, Italy

Thanks for your answer!
Herbicides were not used, to counter the problem (not very opportunely in my opinion not knowing the cause of the problem) a fungicide was used.

Rome, Italy

I add that the plant is given water using sprinklers, 20 minutes every three days. Since I understand that Bignonia does not need a lot of water and detests water stagnations, I wonder if the problem cannot be caused by radical suffering (asphyxiation) due to the excessive presence of water in the soil.

20 minutes every 3 days doesn't sound like a lot of water but then maybe the soil where this is planted is not draining properly? During droughts here in Atlanta, GA I would water 45 minutes 3 days a week and still needed more water in some areas.

Rome, Italy

Bear in mind that mine is 16 years old and every year it re-leaves and blooms great. I do not irrigate if not sometimes when July and August are particularly hot, which is why I was convinced that it did not need large quantities of water.

That helps to explain it some more. I don't water mine either - full sun for Tangerine Beauty and the native one is part sun. Lost my first Tangerine Beauty for no reason but then it did pop up here and there from the ground.

Is your ground saturated? I've not seen any odd development in the leaves of my plants but then I only take note when they are in bloom. I have seen the vines look pretty bad at times in winter/early spring.

Tangerine Beauty (2016), native in the woods this year - full sun, and native growing up one of my birch trees this year - partial sun.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Rome, Italy

Beautiful

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.