What is piling up my onions & other plants?

Guffey, CO(Zone 4b)

This morning I found that several onions had been chomped off close to the ground and left in a pile. Also, some potatoes & cabbage leaves, oregano & chives were also gnawed off and left. What critter might do this?? The pile of onions in the photo is exactly how I found them this morning.

We are located in the Rockies at 9,000 feet. We know that we have mice in the garden, but I can't imagine they would do this. In our area there are plenty of bunnies, ground squirrels & deer, but our garden is very well protected against anything larger than a mouse. We have found no evidence of them getting in. The only other option would be birds, but I can't imagine a bird doing this, either.

For the mice, in addition to traps, most small plants are covered nightly with plastic bottles with the bottoms cut out, which has protected them well. However, the larger plants, or things like onions in a row, are not conducive to being covered with bottles. As these plants get bigger and won't fit in the bottles, I don't know what I might do to protect them. I'd left the bottle off this one cabbage last night, thinking it was getting too big for the mice to bother it. Any other thoughts?

Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by ggrgarden Thumbnail by ggrgarden Thumbnail by ggrgarden

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.