What\'s bothering my lemon tree?

dubai, United Arab Emirates

I just got this little lemon tree 2 days back and have been plucking out a few curled leaves every day. Finally got a picture of this little thing that's bothering it. So what is it and how do I get rid of it?

Thumbnail by vanita79 Thumbnail by vanita79 Thumbnail by vanita79
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

That is amazing! If it were mine and just bought, I would return it.

I hope you are picking up all the leaves and putting them in plastic bags closed tight to keep them from spreading.

Citrus Leaf Miner
Here is info on it.
https://agrilife.org/harrishort/2015/07/06/citrus-leaf-miner/

dubai, United Arab Emirates

Thank you! That was helpful reading. I have no option of returning so I'm going to watch out and try to control the spreading. If there's anything else I can do, I'd appreciate advice on that. Thanks once again.

Rome, Italy

For me too it is a question of a Miner serpentine of citrus fruits (Phyllocnistis citrella) that attacks citrus fruits but also pome fruits because it is butterfly, micro Lepidoptera, polyphagous that digs in the laminar layer of the leaf that begins to curl and necrotize.
It is absolutely useless to use contact or biological insecticides such as Marseille soap, Pyrethrum and not even products based on Bacillus thuringiensis .......... a systemic insecticide is required which circulates throughout the plant (even in the fruits to consume which must be respected the shortage time indicated on the packaging).
Until a few years ago, a neonicotinoid authorized for citrus fertigation against the serpentine miner was available: it is thiamethoxam, which also has an excellent system but at least we have the neonicotinoids, following a report by the European agency EFSA, has been subject to revocations and limitations which have restricted its field and method of use.
Keep in mind, however, that this micro Lepidoptera acts from July-August to September-October and mainly affects the youngest shoots of the plant. At the moment you could remove the affected leaves, and eliminate them as Kell rightly said and check that others are not affected to be removed eventually until the first autumn. After that you can stay calm until the next summer when you will monitor the plant ready to intervene at the first signs of attack.
However, it should be emphasized that the damage is only of an aesthetic nature and not functional to the normal development of the plant.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2020 9:35 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.