Plant Propagation New Year

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Thought I would try a new thread

Plants cuttings and seedlings

Happy New Year ..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Came from ;https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1485782/?page=5#post_10404659
Above
1 Gaillardia
2 Cuban oregano
3 Fennel sprouts
4 Spider plants and fern leaf lavender
5 Echinacea Happy Star

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy New Years Jim, thanx. I am wishing I knew the special fertilizer code for my paperwhites so they will bloom.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Happy New Year to all...

They had paperwhites on clearance at Lowe's this weekend, in fact they had a lot of great healthy plants on clearance. I was good only bought one salvia. This warmer weather tempting me to start some seeds.

Fort Worth, TX

Happy New Year. I think I'm going to start some Cherokee purple, inside, and maybe some spinach if I move that aquarium. Outside, broccoli plants need thinned but they are growing, and onion sets should be in this week

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Moved two durant and 3 bougainvilleas into the garage area this evening. Actually grandson-in-laws did the labor. Suppose to hit 28 tonight nd that is relly cold for Las Vegas.

It will be interesting to see what gets hit.

I have a hair appointment on Thursday so I have caregiver for a few extra hours, so I am going to see if I can find some more amaryllis. I have a bed in the front that puts out beautiful blooms in the mid spring. I ran the irrigation for 4 minutes yesterday in anticipation of the freeze. Snowed in the mountains but nothing down here in the valley but old and wind.

Happy New Year to all of you.

Fort Worth, TX

I am still getting rain here. And a freeze coming, but over all we've had a warm winter.

Happy New year Sharon.

Kelowna, Canada

Happy New Year to all of you!

I've just got this little purple heart wandering jew gingerly held between two toothpicks because, well, I come at everything unprepared, I don't see why this should be any different! I'm pretty new to gardening though I know a bit of the underlying theory, but this site's been a huge resource so far!

Thumbnail by thephoenix
Fort Worth, TX

wandering jew roots better in a good soil mix, moist, for me. But good luck and Happy New Year Phoenix

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Canada! Would have to look up Kelowna but it sounds familiar to me. Welcome to the thread. Yeah, where I am I just lay them on the ground and step back, chuckl.

Oxdrift, Canada

Welcome fellow Canadian, Phoenix. We are a rare breed on here.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Kitt, same here. They snap off, fall on the ground and next thing you know they are rooted.

Keith, you are a rare breed all on your own.

I just got on here and Vern is wanting to go to bed. I will get back tomorrow earlier.

phoenix, I sure wish I could mail you wandering jew, could send a whole box full, roots by tossing on good moist soil. Best wishes with your plant.

Good to see you Keith, did you get your calendar? I got mine right on time this year.

Oxdrift, Canada

Hi Sherri, no I don't have a calendar coming this year. No winnings

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Took my stroll around the yard, laughed at my daughter making a comment abt my tea bag garden- she says the pile is NOT pretty. The sun feels good, but the day is chilly. New apparently tomcat trying to hassle my 2 neutered boys, dog says MY FIGHT! and so the porch got peaceful. Squirrels are everywhere, nests thick, but the one that puzzles me is a huge nest in top of a pine tree, stuffed with an old couch stuffings. I suspect it isn't squirrel, but have no clue what it could be. Be warm everyone!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

29 degrees snowstorm ,

hi all .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Hey Ju, that looks a lot like Oxdrift

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith , The drift part makes since , Maybe an Ox to cart it somewhere else lol , Lots of it still coming down too ..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here is a Wandering Jew , otherwise category as Southern Inch Plant ,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

that variety of wandering jew is the one I have the hardest time keeping alive Juhur. You can have this cold weather, can I ship it up there?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

My goodness that looks cold and I do not like cold. We are back in high 50s but expect rain tomorrow. Good luck you guys.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

The gray matches a lot of our days, but we have green, too. Lorapetulum, shrimp plant, Magnolia near me with Renn Faire sign, Shadow in the catgrass, Doodle playin in last nights inch of rain.
These to help get rid of my shivers! Other than that, today was prob 68* sunny and nice.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Oxdrift, Canada

Wow Kitt the hot pink climber is gorgeuos. Is that in your yard?

Fort Worth, TX

Had a fire in the woodstove or the heat on all weekend. Couple of grandkids here, built a float activated sump pump drain system for my lot, which is uphill from my yard. Tired of standing water and winter mosquitoes.

Mulching the low areas in back yard, alternate drought and flood killed the grass and I've had dust or mud for a couple of years.

Going to plant a few Cherokee Purple tomatoes in pots, maybe so.e spinach and chard, we have hard freezes in the forecast for 2 nights last week.

My poor bees are all alive but confused.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Keith, that hot pink is our Houston famous Lorapetulums- (this one is burgundy) and its an understory shrub that I believe is kissing kin to the witch hazels. I was wondering if you would catch it, chuckl

Fort Worth, TX

they are pretty, but when I asked at the nursery they said bees weren't fans of the chinese fringe shrubs, so I went with something that would feed my bees.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Down here Gypsi, you find bees gathering from the oak trees, but I doubt it is nectar. Too cold for bees today and the lorapetulum doesn't attract bees when it blooms again in abt 6 mo. This area is hard on bees, our blooms are pitiful in these woods. Yes Keith, in my yard...

Fort Worth, TX

I have a shrub I paid about $5 for 17 years ago, it was a Euonymus, Grandiflora I think, so far it's a manageable 6 to 7 feet tall without ever having been pruned. I got it because I had a 30 year old one at my old house that didn't get too big and bees an butterflies loved it.

I also planted Abelia, which the bees and butterflies adore, and which will start from twig cuttings sometimes. It wants more sun though.

I prefer things that draw and feed pollinators, like my redbud trees and fruit trees and smooth blue aster, my gosh it was coated with butterflies, as was my gregg's mistflower. But sun is something I have lots of.

Wandering Jew grows like a weed here, I pull it up where I walk and it has escaped into the woods, toss it on the ground in my garden and it takes off. Takes pretty cold temps.
My Lorapetulum doesn't bloom like that at all, hasn't in the six years I've had it, it is more tree like, but guess in too much shade from overhead oak. I'm seriously thinking of digging it up this spring, takes water from my gingers.

Bees love my powder puff bushes, they bloom off and on all year long, but a hard freeze will set them back. Mine are good to upper 20's as long as not too long.

Enjoying the snow pics, Ju. Bet you're ready for warmer weather though.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

36 degrees rain and snowed this morning , Maybe later more snow

Sun your correct

Fort Worth, TX

Snow is a dirty word. Getting cold hate this weekend

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I agree, snow is a dirty word, but I hate ice even more. The yard is a swamp, riddled with tunnels of moles fleeing to higher ground. My paperwhites are getting ready to bloom- everyone else's are already dying and mine are, as usual, 2 weeks behind, at least. Trying to figure out wheere I am relocating the mex mint marigold, but it is being relocated- I need that spot for smaller plants. I am hoping the cold snap doesn't make it all the way south, but Feb would be when we get the rough weather.

Fort Worth, TX

I've got a lot to do today, my tazetta narcissus have been blooming for a couple of weeks, similar schedule as paperwhites? is the mexican mint marigold perennial?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Uh. it dies back every year and returns when weather warms up- it just got huge this year...I have to remember the narcissus family, jonquils, daffodils, part of amaryllidaceae family. Ok, so jonquils are daffodils which are narcissus. I was able in my youth to recognize them by bloom times, I no longer can. Paperwhites, Narcissus papyraceus, are from the Mediterranean area and are daffodils which are narcissus, and naturalized in Southern states like Texas. Apparently paperwhites do not need chill times like other daffodils. Now. Are you as confused as I am? Tazetta narcissus, are again, daffodils which include the pprwhites, and such other var names...

Oxdrift, Canada

Did I hear someone complaining about cold?

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

If you were here... its an in between miserable place for a/c heat and humidity never lower than 70%... on the other hand, glad I am NOT up there!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith Other than I am not enjoying the cold ,
Having a 40mph wind snowstorm at the moment , Below 0 coming
All things being roughly minus 16 C for tonight here

Translator ,,It's cold outside .. lol ????

And like Kitt , I'm glad I am not there with you , brrrr

White Swan Echinacea Sprout in a bag ,

This message was edited Jan 19, 2019 9:14 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

wind gust at 53 mph yesterday kept trying to open my barred back gate. and dropped elm limbs. today is cold but warming

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

icy tree limbs , and 14 below for tonight ,
wind died away some , it ,,,,is ,,,,,,cold ,,,,outside ,

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well it was 64 degrees here today. I think tonight will be 49. That is one reason I live here. I worked in the garden yesterday and today. I trimmed back an enormous bougainvillea an it ate my hands. My manicurist is going to think I was attacked by a tiger. I cut back some castor beans today but some are larger than trees. I will see if my sawsall will do the trick or I will need a chain saw and that will not happen. I will hire someone with one. We are suppose to have high winds tonight but they are an hour late.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.