Sunflowers and Pumpkins

Austin, TX

My sunflowers are puny and the leaves seem to be dying from the ground up. I hit them twice with fungicide, but it didn't seem to stop this. Any idea what is killing the leaves?

Next, I have pumpkin plants. The vine pictured is damaged, but the three vines around it are not hurt at all. Any help with what is the matter would be great.

Thanks!
Joe

Thumbnail by joeatx Thumbnail by joeatx Thumbnail by joeatx Thumbnail by joeatx Thumbnail by joeatx
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

The pumpkin has leaf miners which is a type of fly larvae that develops between the layers of the leaves. If the miners are just on the one plant, I would remove it and through the plant away. On a plant with just a few damaged leaves, I would just pick off the damaged ones and try to crush the leaf to kill the larvae.
https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/leafminer-vegetables

Buffalo, NY

I think fungal disease that lives in the soil and is spread through movement of wind.

Fayetteville, NY(Zone 5a)

I can't get sunflowers to grow at all. Maybe rabbits are eating the emerging plants? Last year I planted a large number of seeds, different varieties, and didn't have any to show for it. Any recommendations?

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have to start sunflowers in protected pots (covered with plastic or similar) and then I have to let it get to some size before I put them out. The squirrels and chipmunks are very good at finding them otherwise and like you, NStewart10, I have nothing to show for it, except for the occasional one that slips through. Even when they get some size, the squirrel dive bombs them and knocks them to the ground.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.