Plant Propagation, The Basics, July 2018

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I watchin, my pix wont load...

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Quote from juhur7 :
Flowers and Butterflies here , Tomatoes look yummy ,,

Love the butterfly shots and flowers, and the tomatoes look yummy, Ju and Kieth.
Too hot here, too windy here. Got a shot in my back today, laying low.
Keep posting, I will be in Buffalo, Ny for two weeks starting the 3rd. Miss you all.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Fort Worth, TX

Miss you Debra

Beautiful pictures everyone. Especially the praying mantis!

Oxdrift, Canada

Nice hummer Debra.
The shot in the back would be a result of your gardening hobby no doubt. We could all use one of those. Relax in New York

Oxdrift, Canada

Latest birdhouse creation

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Debra I really enjoy that Hummingbird also !!!

Keith Nice !!! If I was bird . I would want to try living there

an early blue fall aster

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

that is a wonderful hummer pic Debra! I'm popping off and on and always short on time, as always, more later.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Keith I have been looking at Pinterest pictures of carved birdhouses lately. I like yours too. Beautiful hummer shot! Mine don't sit still long enough..

Oxdrift, Canada

I got my inspiration from Pinterest Kitt. Combined a couple of ideas into my own creation. Over winter I want to make 2 bluebird houses. Have been researching a lot of plans for them. I had no idea how fussy they were. They need a lot of ventilation to prevent overheating and the interior of the front wall needs to be roughed up with grooves to help the babies get out. Placement of it also is fairly technical. I believe the field out front where we used to have horses has a couple spots that should meet the criteria. That is the area that we have lupins growing wild.
Isn't retirement fun? Time for all this kind of stuff

Fort Worth, TX

in 6 years I will know if I get to retire. sounds like fun.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Time...feels shorter now than when I was young and could actually get farther than the front yard every day, chuckl

I Love your birdhouse, Keith. I collect birdhouses. Love them all. I have a couple waiting to be hung as we speak. They are house/traps. I catch the Starlings and English Sparrows as they have invaded our native bird habitats here, and are legal to catch. I did watch a family of 5 jays chase three starlings off the big feeder this am. Also watched a jay and a cardinal face off on the feeder. All my birds are still here, no one left for the summer, daughter saw a bluebird, so I am waiting to see it, too. What is weird this year is the geese have been flying south for the past two weeks, the bees are swarming all the hummer feeders, I set some sugar water on bread out they are covered as well. Lots of butterflys in the gardens. Sweet autumn clematis has been blooming for three weeks now. Something is off here...
Elderberries are ready to pick now, Blackberries are all done.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks Debra. Wow that is strange, geese migrating already. Haven't noticed that here. Hooe we are not in for a nasty winter

Fort Worth, TX

what do you DO with the starlings and english sparrows? (my question to my daughter with the bb gun was, what do we do with the bodies)

I've accidentally live trapped a rat before, aiming for a kitten to get fixed or a squirrel to take to the nature center. I called the city, they said, "We don't pick up vermin". Ended up releasing it near an open field

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I do not much mess with trapping anything ,,
Debra Berries look wonderful ,,

gypsi .. First is a Mantis today followed by
Monarch
Monarch
Monarch
and Moth

Gypsy ,, Tomato worms can also be , Hawk , bee and Hummingbird type moths , you were correct about that

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

awwww love the bugs. :D

Welllllll, *cough* * cough* We catch and release rabbits, possums, native birds going for the bait. ( Caught one of my own yard turtles earlier this year, silly thing was after the strawberries). In answer to your question, its a fast end.
http://www.kansasnativeplants.com/yard_birds_europeanstarling.php
https://youtu.be/AudsO6BhR8c

Thumbnail by joeswife
Fort Worth, TX

I thank you for the information Debra, and yeah I have never seen a bluebird here, because of the starlings. So will read up on this. Maybe build a nest box. I did have some nuthatches or wrens nest in my pollen substitute feeder this spring, after the pollen was gone.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I get ovenbirds , several wrens , a rare real sparrow ,, goldfinches , I have seen bluebirds , lots of hawks , cardinals ,Blue jays , several more .
#4 is a Red Gaillardia start The rest you likely know .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here is the great plague

Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Darn cud chewin plague, but I have others just as numerous. Seasons ending...

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Oxdrift, Canada

What are #2 & 3 Kitt? Nice

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, phooo, #2 is a bleeding heart vine, a clerodendrum. #3 is my oxblood lilies that pop up if I get rain, no sign yet of my lycoris, but appreciating the rains here that are from that mess in Fl/Ms...

Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks Kitt

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nice Flowers Kitt , Always watching from here

New Thread
https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/propagation/all/

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I know there is a new thread but I'm way behind.
Keith great birdhouse, I too get great ideas from Pinterest.

Great hummer shot Debra, enjoy NY, cooler there, nice berries.
Ju Great mantis and monarch cat, and flower shots ☺
Nice peppers, Kitt. I have a bleeding heart, looks best from now through first freeze.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.