Seeds to plant from 2017 (and 2016)

Keosauqua, IA

I purchased quite a few seeds from private growers in 2017 and I think I also have some from 2016. Do you know if there Is any chance of getting a sprout if I planted these seeds this year 2018.

I planted a japanese variety last year with some success and wonder if morning glories some back or do I need to replant each year.

the seeds I have are Ipomoea Purpurea, blue spanish eyes, Kikyo snow flakes

thank you for your expertise.

Gautier, MS

I would soak the seeds you want overnight in warm water, and plant them when the soil is warm enough in IA. You might if your lucky get a few purpurea volunteers. I only get a small amount of volunteers here in MS. I always soak my seeds first and plant them in their own cups under light for an extra boost because I enjoy seeing them grow.

Keosauqua, IA

Thank you so much helenahkh for the encouraging response. I will give the seeds a try.

UPDATE 2018 - I soaked the seeds as suggested and was pleasantly surprised by at least two new flowering vines. One a more common pale blue morning glory and another with lovely ruffled pastel flowers - short lived blossoms but continuous blooming all season. I believe the ruffled flowers was from the Japanese seeds. I was able to gather a fair amount of seeds for this years planting. I can post pictures if you are interested.

Thanks for your recommendations.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2019 5:22 PM

Gautier, MS

You are welcome. Let us know how the seeds do. I'm always checking my yard to see if I find new seedlings emerging. The little red ones always germinate and the hummers love them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.