Calling all succulent growers!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We've recently added a new feature to DG, allowing you to share your opinions on sources for cactus and succulents, as well as all other garden plants and supplies.

Please take a minute to check it out: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/ Then add your rating and a comment to the companies you've dealt with, and add the companies you buy from that aren't listed yet. This is so important in the specialized areas like succulents, where those of you who grow them really know "who's who" as far as sources.

And your opinion counts for a lot - it can send new customers to your favorite sources, and keep others from having a bad experience with a not-so-great company.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

;>) (You're GOOD!)

Muncie, IN(Zone 5B)

Have just added 2 with more on the way once I collect the info. Dave needs to add cacti/succulents to the seed category however. Many succulent growers (cacti too) have plants that were started with seeds, particularly from Mesa Garden.

Good point, Patrick. If you wouldn't mind e-mailing Dave I'm sure he'll add it for you ASAP. Thanks for the additions - entries and comments like yours are exactly what we need!

Valley Village, CA

We need a cacti and succulent heading. I have a lots and lots to list. I live in So. California
Crasulady@aol.com

There are categories in the Garden Watchdog for cacti/succulents as follows:

Plants: Cacti and Succulents
Seeds: Cacti and Succulents

Two cautions about adding a company to the list:
1. Please double-check to make sure it's not already in there; and
2. Please make sure any companies you add are actually in the mail-order business. (That sounds simplistic, but some of the sources listed on other lists don't do mail-order, and these companies get understandably frustrated when they discover they've been added to a mail-order list.)

Thanks, ya'll!!!

Valley Village, CA

Hi there, I think you hit a nerve with me. There is nothing listed for me on the Garden Watch list. Most of best, very best, cactus and succulents houses, do not mail order, they do welcome visiters on the week ends,by appointment only, but not lookie-lou's. Which means nothing is listed in California. I have had guest that come from all over the U.S. England, Wales, Australia, Japan, New Zealand,Cambodia and Hollalnd. None have been disappointed. I still couldn't find out where I should list my meager selection of mail order nurseries in So. Calif. The list directs me only to my own zip cold number, which is a waste of time. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I went back to edit my comments, and the program wouldn't let me. I caught 3-5 places that I would have liked to make changes, grrrrrr, frustration. How do I make corrections on others that I have already submitted. Thanks, a bunch, Norma

Norma, when you read this, look up on your posting, and you should see a blue "Edit this post" message (beneath the date/time info) Click on it, and it will take you back into your posting (it's in a text box down the page a bit, and will look pretty much like when you first created the posting, only your text is already in there.) When you're done, you can preview it before submitting, or go ahead and hit send. Hope that helps.

As far as where to list favorite sources that aren't mail-order? I'd suggest creating a place in your personal journal for them, then you can always give folks a link to it if you want to refer them to your sources. The fields there are fairly free-form text, so give it a try - if it doesn't work or you get stumped, feel free to e-mail me for some help. You can also check out my journal, as I've got some areas that are not plant-specific (daily almanac/journal, etc.. and they may give you some ideas.)
Terry

Valley Village, CA

Terry, have Dave give us some tips on how and why to use.
We all need help until we get used the format. I'm going nuts, I spend 45 min. listing a San. found out that it was wrong and tried to go back. I really want to list all 55 or so species of the Sans. group.
Now a question
1. Kingdom
2, Order?
3. Plants how does the order go (Phyllum)
4. Crassulaceae (family)
5. Crassula specie
6. Subspecie
7. Variety

Which one is above Crassulaceae, and what may that be? Both my husband and I lost our memory back to the 10th grade sceice class. What would be the order and phyllum of Crassulaceae

Now I'm confused - are we talking about adding sources for succulents, or plants in the database, or in your journal?

If we're talking plants in the database, then you list the following information in the "basic info":

Family: Crassulaceae (or whatever)
Genus: Crassula (etc.)
Species: (include subspecies here, if applicable.)

Cultivars and varieties go in a text box that you'll find after you create the basic entry.

Valley Village, CA

I am only going to list the plants that I think are available to the people that might read this. Or perhaps you might want to list all that available. I just won't list where. I thought that it would be a good idea to list prices due to the fact I don't want them to over pay on Ebay. I also don't want to discourage any one trying to collect a species thinking it just might be too costly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.