Do you feed the birds in the winter?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 21 votes:

Yes, we have several feeding stations and enjoy our feathered friends.
(17 votes, 80%)
Red dot

We put out seeds and food if snow covers the ground.
(0 votes, 0%)
Red dot

We feed hummers in the summer, but don't feed the winter birds.
(2 votes, 9%)
Red dot

We don't feed birds.
(0 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Other, tell us!
(2 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

My house backs up to acres of woods. I feed the birds all year but especially in the winter. Just got home from the store with about 10 bags of bird food and some woodpecker bars.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

We have a half dozen feeders, for black thistle, sunflower seed or mixed. Monday we saw a red tailed hawk swoop down and get some small critter for lunch. Today it was sitting on the clothes pole, but flew away while I was getting the camera.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

We have a half dozen feeders, for black thistle, sunflower seed or mixed. Monday we saw a red tailed hawk swoop down and get some small critter for lunch. Today it was sitting on the clothes pole, but flew away while I was getting the camera.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Other: make sure the garden includes plants which provide natural food for birds

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

We leave the seed heads on everything, cone flowers, etc. Clean up in spring, toss it in the compost piles.

New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9b)

I would love to feed the birds all the time but all I end up doing is feeding squirrels. I've tried every "remedy" recommended on tons of websites to no avail.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

There is a drainage canal behind house - my wife [ sometime I go ]
walks about 1/2 block [ 8 houses ] to get to gate [ hiking trail on both
sides of drainage canal ] to feed water fowl . Bread - tortias .
Yard wise , the birds crap and uneaten seeds grow . Right now they
are eating figs , plums , persimmons - I could not reach or they had
pecked holes in .

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

tony, putting a fake owl or fake snake out sometimes discourages birds. Also putting aluminum foil on some string and attach it to something (tree limb etc) so it will move in the wind will discourage the birds.

Wegroot, we have a squirrel problem also. We use a pellet gun and some squirrel proof feeders. There are several feeders out there that are squirrel proof, but you will have to put out some money. If you buy one, save your receipt because if something happens to the feeder, they will usually replace it or give you the parts to repair it or you could probably send it in for repair. The squirrel proof feeders do work.
Here's a couple of them:
homestead super stop a squirrel feeder
https://bromebirdcare.com/busterproducts/
Wild Birds Unlimited has one also.
Then, there are baffles both the dome shape that goes on top of the pole/feeder and baffles that go on below the feeder.
https://www.duncraft.com/Clear-Plastic-Squirrel-Baffle
https://www.duncraft.com/Squirrel-Guard

Then, there's some home made things you can do also. Putting PVC pipe around the area where the squirrel is climbing to get to the food causes the squirrels to roll the PVC pipe which causes the squirrel to loose its balance and fall off.

So, hopefully you will find some ideas here that may help. Or, maybe someone else will read this post and find some ideas Or, maybe not! :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.