What hoya\'s do you have?

Davison, MI(Zone 5a)

Just got Hoya Mathilda, macgillvrayi and mindorensis. Another order on its way. Just received Hoya archboldiana x macgillivrayi, Hoya carnosa krimson queen, Hoya rigida, Hoya minibelle and Hoya finlaysonii. Just ordered nummularioides, pubicalyx purple hybrid and Kerri reverse variegated. Hope to have cuttings before too long to trade.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2017 10:59 AM

This message was edited Aug 31, 2017 5:33 PM

This message was edited Sep 6, 2017 4:32 PM

Davison, MI(Zone 5a)

First pic is Mathilda
Second pic is macgillivrayi
Third pic is mindorensis

Thumbnail by cflowr Thumbnail by cflowr Thumbnail by cflowr
Davison, MI(Zone 5a)

Here are my minibelle, rigida(large leaves), carnosa, finlaysonii cuttings, and archi x macgillivrayi.
Your turn. I would love to see your list's and pictures here. Please feel free to use this thread.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2017 2:26 AM

This message was edited Sep 3, 2017 2:28 AM

Thumbnail by cflowr Thumbnail by cflowr Thumbnail by cflowr Thumbnail by cflowr Thumbnail by cflowr
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Great collection. I only have 3 at the moment but Hoyas are one of my favorite succulents. My favorite new Hoya is Hoya kerrii variegata which has heart-shaped leaves.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Davison, MI(Zone 5a)

Beautiful variegation on your Kerri. I'll put that one on my want list. Thanks for sharing. Hope we get lots of interest here.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I only have a large Hoya kerrii ‘Variegata’ which I neglect too much for it too ever flower. I have known a few hoya collectors that become obsessed with them though mealy bugs seem to put a damper on their obsession.

I would love to have Hoya pubicalyx 'Red Buttons' for the flowers. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/412009/

Photo by Jim Bishop.

Thumbnail by Kell
Davison, MI(Zone 5a)

Mealy bugs discouraged me once too. But I was amazed recently by some huge Hoyas in a bob Evans restaurant greenhouse room in ludington Michigan. No bugs. The waitress that cared for them was not there to talk to but I've decided she must spray them. I think I'll try malathion if needed. Any advice here would be very appreciated.
Pubicalx is soooo pretty.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2017 5:28 PM

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Scroll down to mealybugs on this page
https://www.bayeradvanced.com/guides/tree-care-101

it has all the Bayer products that work. I have used the Bayer 12 month Tree and scrub on some plants for scale. Killed them dead. I loved it! Esp. because it is a soil drench, systemic so you do not spray it or spray yourself. I only had to use it once a year. I also used it on brugs for cucumber beetle. I only had to treat a couple of the best tasting ones for the little creeps would eventually make it to a treated one and feast on their last meal. I can't remember using it for mealy bugs though. Oh yes I did! I used it on my variegated clivias because the mealy bugs would get deep down between the leaves, And it worked! Again treat the plant's soil once a year!

I think I used the one with fertilizer in it once and it burned the plant. I always thought it was better the plant be thirsty to drink up lots of the insecticide but fertilizer can burn if too much is taken up by plant. I am not sure if they still sell the formula without fertilizer.

Davison, MI(Zone 5a)

Have all brand new Hoyas- no bugs. Should I drench them anyway? My bayer tree and shrub formula has 2-1-1 slow release fertilizer in it. I'll run it thru them tomorrow.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2017 6:39 PM

This message was edited Sep 3, 2017 6:41 PM

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I would not until you see them. I try to use as little poison as possible. For some reason, when you have a lot of 1 kind of plant, they seem to attract bugs. I have had 1 hoya, maybe 2 for years and years. Never had a mealybug on it. But friends who have many hoyas get them easily. When I had tons of brugs I had a constant and expensive battle with mites. In fact, I gave up on my obsession of having hundreds because I was feeling like my yard had become a chemical dump. Since I have only had a few, never a mite. I also stopped force feeding them. I had read that an abundant amount of new lush growth calls out to bugs.

Davison, MI(Zone 5a)

Thank you, I'll take your advice and wait.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.