How do you keep a lawn?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 27 votes:

We have a service that mows and trims for us.
(4 votes, 14%)
Red dot

I take care of my lawn myself.
(14 votes, 51%)
Red dot

I've eliminated 'lawn' and have a natural yard.
(6 votes, 22%)
Red dot

My 'lawn' is zeriscaped with rocks and/or sand and desert plants.
(1 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I live in an apartment and have no lawn.
(1 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Other? (tell us)
(1 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

We built on an acre. About 1/3 of what is left is garden beds, five raised because our soil is mostly clay and rocks. The ground level beds are heavily mulched to keep weeds down and are mostly perennials.. DH does all the lawn care and has a John Deere riding mower.

Thumbnail by meezersfive
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Easy lawn care. We have been here since 1982. Never have sprayed or fertilized the lawn. Cut it at 3" high, leave the clippings where they fall.
We have one of the nicest lawns around, no weeds, and don't go brown in hot dry weather. Lot cheaper than using all the chemicals and don't pollute.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

No grass in the backyard, just flower beds and stone pathways, a lot like meezersfive's, but mine isn't that pretty, it's very eclectic landscaped. The front has some grass around and between the flower beds, just Bahia, nothing fancy, no fertilizer. We also leave the leaf and grass clippings as mulch and that seems to keep the weeds away. I take care of the flower beds and husband mows and edge-trims.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I do my own. I only have 1/4 acre.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I used to mow the yard, but now have a lawn service.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

DH actually does all the mowing and trimming now since he is retired. I do most all the gardening. We live on 9 acres and he mows about 4 or a little more, the rest is woods. When I retire I'll go back to riding the z-turn mower or the riding mower most likely to help out during the day so we can get it done faster.

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

I do most of the mowing myself, with the help of a riding mower. My son and Grandson help with the things that I can no longer do myself, edging, etc. No gardens or beds anymore, do have a few shrubs and potted plants. Things get less as each year finds me a bit older and less able to do much physical work. Even though gardening and growing things was never 'work' to me, it was a hobby!
Rusty

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

I do most of the mowing myself, with the help of a riding mower. My son and Grandson help with the things that I can no longer do myself, edging, etc. No gardens or beds anymore, do have a few shrubs and potted plants. Things get less as each year finds me a bit older and less able to do much physical work. Even though gardening and growing things was never 'work' to me, it was a hobby!
Rusty

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll add that I too use a riding mower due to lower back arthritis. Had to get one 9 years ago.

New York City, NY

Proper mowing is one of the most crucial aspects of lawn maintenance. Regular mowing is essential, and each cut should be no more than a third of an individual grass blade. To keep your lawn looking lush and healthy, fertilize it regularly. Your lawn can be kept thick and lush with the help of aeration and overseeding in the spring and fall. Last but not least, make sure to water your lawn regularly, especially during dry spells and prolonged heat waves. A beautiful lawn can be yours in no time with the right maintenance.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.