Plant Propagation , The Basics Dec.2016

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1432654/?page=6

Still cleaning seeds

Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I found you, but you will have to lead the others over here, chuckl

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes you Did !!! Awww You caught me ? lol .
Hi Kitt (Katt .. Nobody seemed to interested in a new thread

Morning Glory pods

Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Sneaky manoeuvre you two. Deeked me right out. Said there was a recent post from Ju but I couldn't find it!
Speaking of morning glory seeds, those suckers stay viable in the ground forever. It's been about 12 years since I grew morning glories on the front of the garage but I am still pulling out seedlings every year as weeds

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Keith some find shorter threads easier to handle , I could run on forever with longer threads , Morning glories ,, he , he ,, Blooming Weeds ,, they can be ,,

Off color photo of Crimson Rambler Morning Glory Ipomea

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

Best source of seed envelopes? In varying sizes? Trying to eliminate the baby food and peanutbutter jars of seeds in my fridge.

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

I found y'all after I wrote a post on the old thread. Oh well. . . . .

Gypsi, I've no idea about a source for seed envelopes to buy. But here is a link on making them that looks to be fairly quick and easy. I know you are very busy, so don't know if making them is an option for you or not. There are a lot of templates available on the 'net to print out, could make them as fancy as could be, but this one looks like it wouldn't take much time.

http://getbusygardening.com/easy-seed-envelopes/

Good luck!

Rusty

Fort Worth, TX

I think I'm going with bill pay envelopes I never use folded after being cut in half Rusty. We are talking about a LOT of seeds. Can get small 5x7manilla envelopes fairly cheap for the peanut butter jar bunch. No time to make anything pretty. I heat with a woodstove and old man winter is headed this way, going to get firewood from a friend.

Thank you for your efforts Rusty

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi Rusty ,, No I won't grow them all and those are really nice Cactus on the old thread ,!!! Glad you found us and that you are here , always enjoy your company here !!!

Here the 20's are infrequent but here , lot of 30 degree or barely less temperatures .
First is photo of some feverfew and a red coreopsis in a bowl outside frozen water in the bowl does not seem to bother them ,
A petunia of all things , frozen multiple times , still green and alive in December . doesn't look to happy though ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Whoops thanks Kitt, thought I had JU's new thread. Nope now I see where we went wrong. I was on his new thread on the back porch. Before I leave tho, I must tell you Keith that you are right. I was looking at your original kitchen. But I have to tell you that I must have lived in the woods too long 'cause I still prefer the wood. Also, I laughed when I saw the new cupboards because when I was 15 years old I worked in a very modern new grocery store with a soda fountain style and hamburger combo across the whole front of the store. It had stainless steel cupboards etc the full length. Every night when I cleaned up to go, I had to wipe all of them down using a bar towel and mineral oil. I am 77 years old now so you figure out how long ago that was. So now you can see why I missed them as your new kitchen. Oh well, sorry.

yep, old man winter is on the way. 25 here today. very cold. Going over to the back porch before I get yelled at for not counting seeds. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am planting stratify seeds , yesterday some Michigan lily , in the morning some turtle head will be set out ,
Maybe blooms in a year or two , staying about 34 degrees here , day after tomorrow it turns really cold ,, teens ,,,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Garden markers made from Garden wire and waterproof glue , Better at bending letters I could be ,
These are for Red Twig Dogwood and eastern gray Beardstongue

Thumbnail by juhur7
Fort Worth, TX

I'm too lazy for that. Going out for more freeze prep. Greenhouse wearing its solar pool blanket, now I can get plants organized

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

My sister has me saving biscuit can lids for her plant markers- not sure if she stamps a name on them or what she does, but I am saving those lids!

Oxdrift, Canada

Hey Kitt. Just curious whether you opened the Dmail I sent you a month or so ago.
Keith
Also on the topic of plant markers, Wendy's boss bought a fair sized window blind for the lab where they work a year ago and it didn't fit. Wendy brought it home and I cut the whole thing up into plant labels. I probably have a supply to last the rest of my life!

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

What ingenuity using those elements as plant markers! I'm so impressed Ju, good on you!

Kitt, I'd be ever so grateful if your sister could pass along a photo, I'm thinking she scribes on the lid using a pointed object.

How do you mark the blinds Keith?

Fort Worth, TX

Pencil writes on the blinds and mostly doesn't fade in the sun Robin. That is what I learned to do, at my first local DG plant swap.

Oxdrift, Canada

I have so many of the markers from that set of blinds that I don't have o worry about recycling so I just use permanent black marker. The material is a white light weight PVC.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I use the flexible 4inch windowblinds for stone molds . permanent marker still sun fades here
I like the ideas , always trying something

Fort Worth, TX

Pencil doesnt fade

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What they are saying Robin is use anything yu want ' cause you won't have to reuse them since they make so many.. Been using them for years.. One set. jen

I've been writing with pencil on my markers and they seem to hold up pretty good. I have had to re-do some of them here and there. I'm waiting for something permanent though. I might run with the bent wire idea, that's pretty brilliant...although the window blinds in an aluminum sounds pretty durable too. Thanks all for the good ideas

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Aluminum can cut you . The garden wire no worry about that , I use the graphite and clay also (pencil) lol
if you good and bending wire letters , you write out the name all at once .. (i'm not that good ) yet ,,,

Your letters look great to me. It looks like a lot of work though...maybe a dead of winter project for me.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Keith, I dont remember it- can you resend it? Nevermind! Its still there! I guess I was gone by then, but that explains all my confusion. Thank you very much!

This message was edited Dec 8, 2016 5:01 PM

Oxdrift, Canada

No problem Kitt. Glad we got that all sorted out.
Keith

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here are a couple for tomorrow I will set out Heavy or wavy leaf coneflower , and a cup plant ,
One marker legible the other Abbreviated , Coated with weather proof glue , Styrofoam in mind for later if I can find a glue that does not melt the foam ,?

Nice and frosty here , Winter sowing goes on ,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

There is a foamboard glue, PL200 - i dont know the wt sizes you can get it in. Alsso Gorilla glue is supposed to work on styro, or even epoxy. I will ask her Robin

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Katt I will look into that , GG melts most styro's

Oxdrift, Canada

It is PL300 that is foam board adhesive, not 200.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Since I use a lot o re-cycled stuffs, I mark the outside o the containers until ready to go where ever they are supposed to go.. a lot of good ideas here on this thread..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Last years wintersowing did not go as well for me as I hoped . This fall much better ,
The markers in the picture are on cereal box cardboard , coated , The numbers are for daylilies . I use the same number in the seed package , put the packages in a baggie in a seed box ,
I have spaced a few seeds already but will get several planted ,
Poppies to do , The markers are for pale coneflower and a calico Beard's tongue
I have been running cleaned seed pods through the blender (my old one) for light mulch over the winter sown seeds like the fields they happen in

Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Ju, what do you coat them with? They look good.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Goriila Glue for now Jen , However when I try later , I may use the rust o-leum Flexible rubber coating , (more permanent for plants I keep )
Flexible rubber makes the lettering stand out still (not easy to read but still legible ..

I have several rolls of burned up outdoor Christmas lights ,, I can use the wire between the lights to do and bend letters and numbers from also

This message was edited Dec 10, 2016 12:15 PM

Oxdrift, Canada

We are finally getting a touch of some real winter. -25C this morning. Looks gorgeous out the front window, about 8" of relatively undisturbed snow and very sunny but best observed from inside as it has been so mild that we haven't become acclimatized to this. Hasn't dropped below -10 up to now and mostly just hovering around the freezing point. It hasn't helped that I have been housebound either. Going to be tough getting back into my daily 6 mile walks if it stays like this.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I can walk a mile or so comfortably down to about 18F, (-7C) , if it's comfortable and without wind , Winter is pretty I agree , cold does not bother me as much as I say it does . but I prefer the warmer weather ,

I love seeing winter but hate feeling it, it's always best observed from inside. I'm a sulky, sucky baby when it comes to the cold and should have been born in TX. I don't know what happened.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, the walking a mile is unintentional, but happens. Working in this stuff is painful, not sure fingers are unfrozen yet. Started snowing abt 3pm edt...23*?The wind is gone tho. Have been dropping trlrs and hooking them this afternoon. Tite squeeze tween nasty salt/icy truck and my tires, so I am wet in strange places. My truck never melted the ice that I accumulated in Erie, Pa, so now this snow is adding to the ice. Broke a windshield wiper and have it relaced with a snowblade now. I had just parked, so it picked a good place to shatter. Still snowing... gonna be a long trip past this storm tomoro. Sneeze, sneeze, snifff. Ok, 1 alka seltzer cold tablet orange flavor goin down the hatch and I see you guys if I survive these ninny 4 wheelers that think they are on 80 mph snowmobiles, grrrrr

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana

Believe me Kitt, I sure feel for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.