Plant Propagation The Basics ,October 2016

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well Something to start I will have to think up a pic or something ,,

Fort Worth, TX

Happy October. You did it Ju!

Thumbnail by Gypsi
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

The end of another gardening season is coming to a close and I'm still waiting to see some Chrysanthemum blooms...I need more time!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I have seen the little mums- like the 2tone frosty purple. It may be Oct, but I dont see any leaf changes from greens yet...

Fort Worth, TX

I planted a sweetgum so I could see a leaf change that lasted longer than 2 days

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

yay! I found the new thread! Love the catgrass, and your holly hock looks great. Ju.

Leaves are starting to turn a bit here, mostly from being dry, not cold. windy as all get out today, we managed to bring in ten more big plants, change out the monster jasmine and the monster buddah's hands. Thankful to have Joe to help!

The basement is getting filled up slowly, dropping down to high 30's later this week supposedly.. we will see. All the brugs are still out, they are budding and blooming, hate to pull them out right this minute so am waiting, made cuttings from a few things, we will see.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well trees are losing leaves and now flowers want to bloom .. odd season

Fall violet
unknown wild flower
Coin Gold Marigold
The Hollyhock looking plant may be a Nasturtium

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

I was thinking Nasturtium but I couldn't grasp the scale, those leaves looked really big.

It must be nice to have a monster Jasmine Debra, does it ever bloom inside?

Fort Worth, TX

It is a nasturtium. I used to grow them in town in wetter times

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My Unknown wildflower is a Epilobium
Giving indications the ground is holding water here beyond usual ,, and it is ,
I garden photo'd this morning then went on to other things

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

First of all, congratulations, Keith, on your photo win in the 'County Fair'! I wish this 'new' DG would somehow make it easier to find and see all the entries.

I do check out this forum almost every day, even though I feel like an imposter amongst all you successful propagators and gardeners. I really enjoy seeing all the photos y'all post here, and enjoy reading and learning from all the posts. But my abilities and/or successes are a total failure. I may, or may not, try again on some of them.

The hibiscus cuttings started out good. I had put them in water while I looked for vermiculite. They were starting to form roots when either a strong wind or a 'possum, or maybe a neighbor's cat, knocked the container over. I hadn't checked on them for a few days, so I don't know for sure how long they laid on the cement patio in three digit temperatures before I tried to rescue them. It was apparently long enough to ruin them completely. And for whatever reason, the hibiscus I took them from hasn't bloomed this year at all. Reckon it's punishing me for 'butchering' it? Lesson learned? Next time make sure any and all cuttings are put into a HEAVY container, not a small plastic waste basket that can be so easily knocked over!

Rusty

Fort Worth, TX

I do cuttings in my kitchen window, but I also have a cat so sometimes bad things happen to them Rusty.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Rusty, where did you find the winners of the CF? I'm a lurker too.

I've had Epilobium a couple of years ago Ju, thanks for finding/putting a name to the weed. I would have kept it if the blooms were showier. The seed pods sure are interesting though.

Wind, cats, squirrels (and more) are all there to teach us how to garden Rusty. The more adversity we face, the better we get. You've just added some valuable information. Please don't feel like an imposter and thanks for commenting.

Can you try again with the Hibiscus? I bet TX has a long fall season.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Robin their growing where not much else does , Near some River Cane So showy does not much matter there and as you are aware of , weeds is all I can grow the past few years .,, lol?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I grew this Hebe and dwarf Hyssop from cuttings last fall, have not gotten around to planting them out yet, now they are blooming in the pot! They look nice together, not planned.

Thumbnail by Pistil

They sure do Pistil...another one of those unplanned, happy surprises. Now you'll have to plant them together.

I'm a bit jealous of those that can grow Hebe's. Like Ju, I wear my ability to grow weeds like a badge of honor. If all else fails, there are still weeds.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Or Walmart, chuckl, from Morris, Illinois

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana

There's always walmart, lol!

:D okay i give what is a HEBE? I saw a leaf in your pic, Ju, in the background looks like white avens, a beautiful shade plant..

Debra, these are Hebe...
http://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/late-season-hebes-for-northwest-gardens/

oh my goodness! beautiful! ;D

Fort Worth, TX

the northwest just grows almost anything

:)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

All today was Mulch around a couple asters and a snapdragon
This was a color form discussion (below ) Hybrid distortion , Their both on the same root , red and orange ,

Honey bees loving the aster this time of year ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Oxdrift, Canada

Wow, I've been missing lots of fall action on here! Nice to hear from Rusty and Pistil. Got to love the Walmart pics Kitt.

I sure like both colors of your Echinacea, I wonder if that will happen again...interesting.

Hi Keith, happy reno!

Oxdrift, Canada

Hi all. Took a couple hours to cut some of the
long grass. Here's a few things tat are still looking alive. Mango Tango Potentilla is flowering better than it did all summer. Still a few Redbor Kale right by front door that the deer haven't destroyed

Fort Worth, TX

I am trying to join some local garden groups as so many things don't grow in Texas. Really want to focus on sustainability and permaculture. Will be around a little. I had an unpaid membership for years, will probably keep that. I have enjoyed learning more about germination and propagation

I sure hope you hone your sustainability and permaculture skills...but, please don't forget about us Gypsi, it won't be the same without you...

Keith, I hope you try to upload those pictures again I can't see them too good right now.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2016 1:52 PM

Oxdrift, Canada

Oh my God Robin. Thanks fir the wake up. My mind is way too old for everything I have going on right now. Hopefully after the cabinet install on Tuesday I can slow down a bit and just finish the project at a slower pace.
So now for the pictures I forgot to post!

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener

my marigolds for fall color..the eupatorium on the patio, my cuttings turned into plants, and re-bloom of the phlox, and a rogue sneak snapshot of Joe BBQ'ing our steak today..
Please keep in touch one way or another, Gypsy. Keith, I love your Kale!

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Guys, my job does not allow for personal feelings to become a way to drive. Many drivers are starting to get radical on the roads and bumper stickers are their brains. I have my acct going up for renewal, and plan on letting it remain so while freight has stalled, drivers are pulling thoughtless stunts and everything is in upheaval. I love your pictures- you have kept my hunger to be gardening slaked, given me families instead of solitary confinement I normally face, but gonna wave byes and send hugs out to you all and fade like the color of Fall. Thank you for all of you!

"Best not to drive with a low emotional quotient and an easily erupted temper. Drivers check yourselves, you're driving a weapon of mass destruction. Be responsible!"

Hows that for a bumper sticker Kitt? I'm so glad you're a responsible driver...good on you!!! I don't want you to fade, do you want to fade? I can fix that.

I'm glad I woke you up for those phenomenal pics Keith...love them both but love the Potentilla a bit more.

Another reason to grow Marigolds. Thanks for the sneak peak Debra, hope the steak was GOOD!

Oxdrift, Canada

Thanks Robin. I really like the Potentilla too, but the kale is more stunning than the photo does justice. By this time of year they are almost black and I was not able to capture that.
What the heck! Am I understanding this right? Are we losing nth Gypsi and Kitt?
That is a huge loss.

Fort Worth, TX

I am letting my membership lapse. I had a free account here for years and will leave that set up but I am not sure how many forums I could view free. I just used it to look up plant names back in 2004. I guess baby chicks are still propagation. Last night was their first night out and today their first whole day. I set up solar powered electric fence on the chicken coops and helped my killer dog's nose find the wire by the gate. He is off his chicken binging, and the wire stays on

I do not have much time for forums. I am in bee season getting them ready for winter, pond season, servicing all I can to have money to get through the winter, and I have to finish my taxes. There are things I need to learn, but most of them are not on Dave's Garden. So friends, kind of fading away, I will stop in when I have time. After December If I can't get to propagation, look at the public forums and see if I am there, or search the site for me. But I don't think I will be on much. Having to set up outyards for the bees to get them out of reach of mosquito spraying for zika. that will take me away from the computer too. And now chick pics. One dozen. Hope half of them are hens but who knows.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2016 9:57 PM

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi

It sounds like we are losing both girls Keith. :(

Oxdrift, Canada

I always enjoyed your chick pics Gypsi. Reminds me of my younger years. We would occasionally order exotic breeds and cross them to see what kind of funky colours and traits we could come up with. Looks like you have quite the mixes too as you seem to have every colour of the rainbow.
Will miss you both. Best of luck to you.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am following along enjoying However I will miss you both ..

As is a few of my weeds
Smooth blue Aster
Bronze fennel
Red Fleabane
Chicory still Blooming
and a Red Leaf Amaranth that has sprouted way to late

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.