I don't use mulch
(5 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Other. (tell us!)
(5 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I checked other. I use mostly pine straw but I use shredded bark mulch in the paths between my raised beds. And I used wheat straw as mulch in my vegetable garden. I have a no-till veg garden but I take the old wheat straw and turn it in the empty rows, along with leaves and compost after pulling up the plants in the fall.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

it may sound strange but i actually use shredded up fall leaves. our soil is that cruddy ol' red clay, so i use that so it can eventually add some structure to the soil. plus i only use this on my vegetable garden, so im not going for a "pretty" look. on the actual flower beds in the front yard we do use wood chips

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Whatever is available! Around here, it's usually wheat straw. I like it. It turns a light brown in no time and breaks down relatively quick.
The locals have a mud volley ball game every 4th of July. The straw is really dirty. It breaks down quickly. It's free for the taking. Free is good.
I also use Cypress Mulch. I buy a 2 cubic foot bag on sale for $2.00. I think it brings Nut Sedge into my gardens. Hate Nut Sedge. I can pull up almost all weeds except Dandelions and Nut Sedge. Dandelions get Round-Up. I can't find anything that kills Nut Sedge. I can spray it with Spectricide. It turns a little yellow then, comes right back.
I got a big truck load of ground up limbs this Spring from the city. Dumped it right in my yard. Free. After a couple of months, I put some around my shrubs. Next year, it will go onto my gardens.

Edited to add:
I also get pecan shells in the fall. I put them around my Azaleas and Dogwoods. The birds like to pick through them.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2016 3:43 PM

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

I use alfalfa hay on raised veggie garden, cocoa bean shell mulch on front flower garden, double shredded fall leaves in various areas, and pine bark mulch around trees/bushes/garden paths. The alfalfa seems to prevent soil compaction from rain/watering and is dug in late fall for its nitrogen. The cocoa shells and leaves improve my clay soil; and the pine bark seems to last without its appearance changing, all three colors blend well.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2016 4:21 PM

NE, SD(Zone 4b)

I use strips of newspaper. Fantastic weed barrier and decomposes. the strips are placed around the plants, water sprinkled on the newspaper and a tad of garden soil tossed on the newspaper so it does not blow away. Flowers love it!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh yes, newspaper! I keep forgetting to use it. However, we don't take the newspaper. I would have to go to the re-cycle center to get the newspaper.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Well, yes, I forgot to mention that I use cardboard and newspaper under many things.

Newcastle, WY(Zone 4b)

I sweep up pine straw and run it through the chipper/shredder a couple of times. I put it between my garden rows and around plants. each fall I take it all off and run it through the shredder a couple of more times and add it to my compost pile. It breaks down great and keeps my pile very loamy. (WIVES TALE) Pine straw will make your soil acidic. This is far from the truth. In it's brown state any/all chemicals from the pine tree have dissipated from the needle. USE IT....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.