What\'s Blooming #2

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Very nice Cytf, I'm happy to see your lily bloom too. Speaking of bee balm, this is my first ever Monarda Raspberry Wine...so far only three blooms. I hope to have more next year.

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Omg, your Monarada raspberry wine is lovely. I have some seeds to sow next spring.

Thanks, I'm such a sucker for pink.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I don't post pictures but enjoy looking at others and reading about the plants.
I grew Gaura "Whirling Butterflies" and it did very well for me. It wasn't in great drainage and had "No" care from me. It flourished. Then, I decided I wanted to move it as it became too big for the place I had it. I moved it. It died. I would highly recommend the Whirling Butterflies. As for the Gauras that are pink, I have had several. They don't make it. What kills the Gaura is the wet winters.

I purchased one Spigella mariclanda last year and planted it in a nice area. It did not bloom this year. I'm hoping the plant that is there is the Spigella m. , but heck it might be a weed! :( I'm hoping it's taking its time to bloom--maybe next year. It's "sleeping" this year? or is it creeping? or is it dead?
Like the Rainbow buddleia. Really nice. We had five inches of rain and then, more today. I have enjoyed the rain. My Claire de Lune clematis evidently did too. It's started blooming again!
My Orienpets are through blooming but the fragrance was intoxicating. I have them in a side yard by the house, and I could smell them out in the front yard. They were six feet tall.

I've found that many perennials don't bloom the first year and I hope yours is NOT a weed. My first Gaura was Whirling Butterflies, it got bigger than I expected also. The fragrance in your yard sounds amazing!

Nice of you to check in Birder.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

As always, awesome flowers. You all continue to inspire me!!

As you do us Momlady!

(Zone 4b)

"Blue Paradise" phlox hanging with "Becky" shasta daisy:

Thumbnail by rouge21

Those sure look good together Rouge!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Rouge21 - Great flowers & combo.

(Zone 4b)

Thank you very much. With the drought we are experiencing lots of tap water went into having them look like all is well :(.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Rogue: Nice combo.
Does the "Becky" stand up well? I have taken out my Shasta Daisies because they flopped.
My Phlox p. 'Blue Paradise' is Much more orchid. I bought it because of the lovely blue color and mine is purple. I don't know if it's the soil or if I got the wrong plant.
Anyone else have this phlox?

We just got some rain yesterday...finally. I feel your pain Rouge and hope you get some too.

How are your gardens doing with all your rain Brenda, are there signs of survival? I sure hope so.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

My Gardens - I spent hours weedeating in the gardens today. The Gloriosia Daisy were beautiful but all the rain has been rough on them and caused a lot of them to lay on the ground - though their season is just about over. Maybe I can get some pictures of some of the better flower spots and post them in a day or so. The good news is that I'm seeing a bigger variety of butterflies. As for my Wetland Garden which is close to acre - well a good portion of it still has standing water and the whole garden is really wet. Wet enough that I would loose my boots if I ventured in. There in that garden - it looks like the broomcorn is up, the celosia is up (on ridges), some of the zinnia are up (not the best of stands), some sunflower are up. I've yet to see any amaranth and obviously the buckwheat doesn't like the wet and it is turning its head to the ground. Without looking, I don't remember what else I planted there other than lots of zinnia. I'll just stay optomistic with my Wetland Garden.

And then there are the Japanese Beetles - anyone else having to deal with those pesty guys? I used to trap them by the thousands - crazy. Then sometimes I resort to spraying, but I don't like to do that because of other good insects. They are working on what is left of my blackberries (the fruit), the crepe myrtle, the cannas, my Knockout roses, an Autumn vine, occasionally on the zinnia, and I'm sure they will be on the big hibiscus before long as they like to riddle those blooms. I could do without the beetles how about the rest of you????

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

My japanese beetles are weird. I have almost 40 roses, and I might see one or two on Stanwell Perpetual, Marchesa Bocchella, Marie Pavie (roses with a wonderful scent), but if I want to kill 95% of the beetles in my yard I go straight to my larger Morden Blush, which has no scent I can discern. I must have 50 raspberry vines. There might be one there, and they are on the leaves, not the fruit. But I just take my bowl of soapy water and head to my larger Morden and it will have between 10 and 20. And then I will walk around and see perhaps two or three in the rest of the garden. I don't spray at all. I know that Milky Spore was used 7 or 8 years ago. I do a lot of digging in my garden in early spring and find grubs (which I dispatch) and I thought this year might be bad but it's not the case.

I go out first thing in the morning and they are usually sleeping - BYE! The I go out after dinner and they are engaging in JB gang bangs - BYE. Then I have minimal damage.

But, as I think about it, two years ago we had a really cold spell in the winter, and the ground froze further down. I understand that it cuts their numbers.

Watch out for those traps, if they are the ones I am thinking of - they attract beetles from all around - all of your neighbors' yards.

Edited for typos.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2016 8:20 AM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I was at the North American Lily Society Conference at the Chicago Botanic Garden today (and yesterday and tomorrow). I took lots of lily pics of course but I also walked around and saw scenes so beautiful I took pictures, and wanted to post them. I also met and talked to Brent Heath of Brent and Becky's Bulbs. he is giving two presentations. He is the nicest, sweetest man in the world. I was happy to tell him that I purchased my first lilies from him a billion years ago, and just purchased a bunch this past year.

The last picture is of the grand prize winner, Easter Morn. This doesn't begin to capture how gorgeous it is.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Some beautiful pictures here - yarrow, lilies, bee balm, roses, scabiosa, Indian pinks and Brenda's fields!

Spigelia needs some updates on its hardiness ratings. I grow it also and it's a great plant. There was a nursery that tried to push it a couple of years ago but it was reported as zone 7, so I didn't want to try. Well I guess others felt the same because they didn't move it. Now I'm sorry I didn't and they don't carry it anymore.

Robin, that yarrow is beautiful. How long have you had it?

Rouge, that is a beautiful combination! So nice of them to bloom together for you! I do have that phlox but I chopped it down along with most of my others this spring when it got full of powdery mildew. They are just showing up again. Doubt I'll have the flowers but I'll enjoy yours.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Loretta, my neighbor was given phlox by a garden center as part of his design last year, and it was riddled with mildew by midsummer. He is not a gardener so he didn't know what powdery mildew was. I told him that there were phlox resistant varieties, and I was frankly surprised that they did not give him one. I told him that he could request a replacement or I could treat them. I showed him a container of Bonide Sulphur concentrate this spring so that he could see that it was organic and safe, and told him that I had some roses that were subject to blackspot under certain conditions (you know, humid and gross) and that I would treat them monthly. I told him that the only precaution was that the temperature needed to be under 80 degrees.

I'm pleased to tell you that it has worked perfectly, despite awful weather. And I was surprised to find that it actually reversed blackspot on one of my roses. The concentrate is very cheap. I just mix it up and spray it on. It's best used preventatively, despite my good luck. Perhaps it will work for you.

Donna

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Donna - Thanks for your input on the Japanese Beetles. I may have to try the soapy water.

Great input from everyone on this site.

That's great information about Bonide Sulphur concentrate, all I could find was the dust.

Loretta, this is the second year for the Yarrow. It doesn't look that good now, it grew much taller than expected, has splayed from a recent heavy rain and the blooms are all displaying much more yellow in the center. I'll take another pic and upload it for you.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

My apologies. Safer makes it too.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Safer-Brand-16-oz-Garden-Fungicide-Concentrate-5456/202672526?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D28O-OutdoorGarden%7c&gclid=CIO1lKq76c0CFVGAaQodTngJJg&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is Home Depot. 16 ounces for $11.00. It will last you for years. I always prefer concentrates because they are a lot cheaper and avoid dust because you can breathe it.

I agree Donna, thanks for the extra effort to get that for me. Yay!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Robin - You spoke of your yarrow not standing well. I have had that problem in the past. The only one I have at present is the white one with that same foliage. And it, too, has dropped to the ground and doesn't look the best as a result of the rains.

I've been out checking on flowers here in the heat of the day and here's what I have blooming right now. The color is coming back after all the rains. Just glad I have flowers to share.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for all the info Donna and Robin. You know Donna, I believe I have that stuff as well as Serenade and next time, I'll use it before I sacrifice the season. "David" was with the bunch and it didn't get any, knock on wood.I also read 50/50 with skim milk and water works well. I'm chicken when it comes to using chemicals.

As for yarrow, I have one but it hasn't bloomed yet. It did overwinter in a buried pot and it is one of the HGTV varieties. I'll have to check the label.

Here are a couple I picked up at a Father's Day Sale

1. Coreopsis Galaxy

2. I got two Bee Balms from Sugar Buzz series. I'll have to check the tag. There were several in the series and I wanted them all! I'll show one and the other later.

3. Delphinium which ended up having a crack in the main stem. Since the stem is hollow, the earwigs went in and almost killed the plant within a week.

4. Ok - here is an early picture of the other bee balm but I have better coming.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Thanks for sharing your beautiful blooms Brenda and Loretta...all of them are just gorgeous!

I'm going to try and cut back my Yarrow next year to see if it makes the stems shorter and stronger. The same way I did for my Chrysanthemum, cutting back will probably set back the bloom time though. If that doesn't work, a Peony ring would help.

Here's my once beautiful Yarrow and how it looks today...

Thumbnail by Mipii
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well, it's still beautiful to me. That's what usually happens to my roses. There is almost always a rainstorm when they are just peaking.
Maybe a stake or two with some string would help?

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

1. Here is a better day for the bee balm. Still didn't check the name but it might be Cherry Pop.

2. A crooked Bugbane bloom.

3. Lily Pink Giant, one of my favorites. If I could only have one lily, this would probably be it even though it flops even with a ring. It is in shade.

4. Not the greatest picture but I did pick up a lamb's ear. This is Bella Grigio and hopefully it will spread like other lamb's ears. Maybe it's too white, we'll see. I have some silver artemesias to pick up the color. Maybe even some Dusty Miller will help.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Gee, thanks Loretta. Stakes and string it is for the rest of this season.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Robin - Your yarrow now looks like Paprika more so than Cherry. I'm not big on staking flowers, but I think Loretta has the right idea. Don't ya just hate it when ya have to bring out the string and stakes. Just yesterday (because of all the rain), I either had to stake a couple asters or watch them flop all over the place. Oh well - this too shall pass.

Seeing your beebalm Loretta makes me wonder that if you deadheaded - perhaps you could get a second flush? I have deadheaded some purple with that thought in mind. I love the beebalm and wish it would bloom longer. That bugbane is sure an interesting bloom - unique!! The lily - beautiful. The lambs ear - that is sure interesting. I have never seen that one offered or I would have probably been like you and given it a try. The Stachy lambs ear sure likes it here and it often reseeds, I have it on my rockwall and on an old hillside that is difficult to get anything growing on. I also have the Von Stein lambs ear - it does not bloom near like Stachy does (which is good - it is my favorite, of what I have).

As for freckled faced lilies - check out the tiger lily that the swallowtails seemed to love.

I have a garden club coming today for a tour - that should be interesting. Wish me luck. . . . . . . . and a cool breeze. . . . . . . . .

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654

Geesh, it's probably too late to wish you luck and have fun. I know they'll love and enjoy your gardens as much as we do.

Yes I hate staking... it is better to enjoy the bloom in the air than on the ground. Besides, on the ground the slugs and sow bugs enjoy them too much.

Loretta, it took no time at all to get a good show on that Monarda. I love the crooked bugbane, it's a great pic. Lily Pink Giant is beautiful and looks like it's a real soft salmon pink.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Robin and Brenda! Good luck not breaking the stems, Robin. That's what I always end up doing whenever I try to stake something.

Brenda, good luck today! I would love to be on that tour! Your neighbor's are lucky!

I will try to deadhead the bee balm and see what happens. They don't last that long, less than I thought or remembered. I grew bee balm before but every spring I always thought the peppermint got lose and I pulled it out. By the time I realized what I've done, it is too late.

That lily is very cheerful! No Swallowtails yet in my yard. There was one early on, it laid eggs, something ate the babies because they all disappeared before long.

As for lamb's ear, I did see Helene Von Stein for sale. Maybe it might make a good counterpoint. I'll see how things lay out.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I visited Frelinghuysen Arboretum a couple of days ago. Here are a couple from there.

1. Rudbeckia maxima - I love the blue leaves on this one. Smokebush Purple Robe is in the background. It gets pollarded every three years or so.

2, 3 This coneflower had no label. I loved it, especially the red stems and reddish centers. Anyone recognize it? If not, I'll post it on the id forum or just ask next time I go.

4. Staying with the theme, here some helenium, most likely Mardi Gras. I have it too but theirs is nicer.

5. Another yellow coneflower. This one had strappy dark green shiny leaves but I'm not going to waste an upload on the leaves.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Blooming yesterday and today:

Lilium auratum

Lilium auratum with salvia viridis

Lilium auratum platyphyllum, the gold band lily

Lilium 'Satisfaction'

Lilium White Henryi

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Donna, you have a beautiful collection of white lilies. Which is my favorite? I don't know, maybe Gold Band. It looks like you didn't have a problem with lily beetles this year. It is crazy here.

Mmm...yummy Lilies, my favorite is the good smelling one, lol! How I wish we had some sort of scratch and sniff on here.

Nice Echinacea finds Loretta, I haven't seen the narrow leaf or the red stems in person. Both look like must-haves.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Loretta, I love your theme too. So harmonious.

All the lilies above have heavenly scents. And I agree about Gold Band. It's just dazzling - I couldn't believe it when I walked out and saw it. The trick with Gold Band and auratum and certain other lilies is to lower the PH. I use soil conditioner and a little ironite and lilies that demand acid soil (which I don't have) really do well. It took me years to figure it out, but lilies that used to disappear in one season come back and bring friends.

We don't have the lily leaf beetle here. Part of the reason is that we are in the middle of nowhere. On the east coast states bump into each other. Here there are a few lakes in between, and people here don't grow lilies. It was amazing how rose virus spread - people were demanding Knockouts. Garden centers stocked hundreds of them, and the mites just spread. But if no one grows what you grow (and trust me, people here think lilies are something you give people in a pot and then you let them die) you won't have problems. Passers by sometimes point at my orientals or Orienpets and ask what "those things are".

More to come! More white lilies - Crystal Blanca (a shorter, stronger Casa,) is in bud!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks again. If I find out the names of the coneflowers, I'll post back.

Your lucky about the lily beetles, Donna. My friend has them bad too so I know it isn't just me. Do you know they make a sound when distressed, like a little squeak? It makes me sad I have to squish them.

I'll have to keep an open eye for Gold Band. It's like a yellow version of Salmon Star which I really like and is blooming now. These are new bulbs for this year. My original bulbs are all chewed up. I won't be seeing them this year along with Mother's Choice, Casa Blanca and Eyeliner.
And this second one...did I buy it? I don't remember. I only have one bulb but it smells great.
The last echinacea here is interesting because it is a seedling of Tomato Soup. There are other seedlings and all have the usual echinacea color but this is the first seedling I ever got that is not the usual standard color.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
(Zone 4b)

I so like Veronicastrum

I put in one plant of "Culver's Root" sometime in the summer of 2014. So this is its second full year in our garden.

It has interesting spikey flowers, is very water conserving, pollinators like it and with its tallness (this one is almost 6 feet) it provides a strong shape for one's garden.

(You guys and gals must have it as well?)

This message was edited Jul 12, 2016 7:33 AM

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.