What\'s Blooming #2

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I see the word persicaria and I run away.
Is this one polite?

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Oh boy, Red Joyce! I'll have to check that one out. Your Persicaria looks interesting too, I'll be looking that one up at the same time. Thanks Rouge!

(Zone 4b)

(Sorry for the double post (I dont think there is a way to delete one)).

'robin, 'poly' is very well behaved. For sure it can get large but it does not seed or spread.

I love this genus and we have at least a couple that are "polite" ;). My favorite is "Golden Arrows". IMO it is an outstanding shade or PS perennial. I will try to remember to post pictures when it comes into bloom.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Strange name for a plant you are talking about there. Not familiar - so I should run too.

It has really been a hot one here today. I think dog days are here in late June - so maybe July/Aug won't be nearly as hot. It was 93 prior to lunch. We had a short shower with no accumulation and I think that may have increased the humidity. The flowers never cease to amaze me how they can handle all the hot.
I Just came in from taking pictures of some of my garden areas. So I'll share.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

That is one I always admired but was afraid to try. How easy is it to control?

(Zone 4b)

So pretty 'Brenda'. I see a "Butterfly Bush" in one of the pictures...right? This season is my last kick at the can with this plant...having killed probably 6 of them :(. This time I have put one in a container hoping I can over winter it by moving into the garage.You clearly have no trouble with it!

(Zone 4b)

Quote from Loretta_NJ :
That is one I always admired but was afraid to try. How easy is it to control?

Which one are you referring to 'Loretta'? The Polymorpha needs space to grow only because it is a large herbaceous plant but it does not spread as do some other persicarias...promise!

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes, the polymorpha is what I was asking about. That's good to know. It's beautiful!

1. So check out the chartreuse tomato growing at the community garden. Not my plant.

2. Poppy Cherry Glow I have to try to get a better picture. Ok, its an annual but no one is posting over there. Maybe we should start an annual What's Blooming.

3. Iris ensata - I think it is Sensation. I think it came as an extra from one of Mamajack's sales last year.

4. Betony - do hummingbirds like Betony? I saw one visiting it yesterday but it didn't stay long.

5. Echinacea

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

1. Heliopsis and friend - False milkweed Bug
2 & 3 Campanula Pink Octopus
4 Clematis Alionushka
5 An unexpected Amaryllis

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Quote from rouge21 :
So pretty 'Brenda'. I see a "Butterfly Bush" in one of the pictures...right? This season is my last kick at the can with this plant...having killed probably 6 of them :(. This time I have put one in a container hoping I can over winter it by moving into the garage.You clearly have no trouble with it!

Per the Butterfly Bush - The one in the picture is the Pink Delight and it has been there where it is with no winter protection for 4-6 years. We had one bout of a negative 15 degree temp in Feb 2015 (a record low), that did not phase it. I have 5 others (a rainbow, a white and 2 new Black Nights). I had 4 others and lost them all and I think the reason being was that I had them in a low lying area. They seem to like it high and dry - for what that's worth. And another note - butterflies do not like wind - so a little wind protection could be in order.

Good luck - I bet you can make it work with the Butterfly Bush.

Oh boy Persicaria Polymorpha gets huge and beautiful! Sadly it's too large for my yard. 'Golden Arrows' looks promising though. Thanks for that info Loretta!

Great gardens and photos all!!!

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Loretta , I have never seen an Octopus plant , I love it very unusual. My poppies are just beginning to bloom I have red and Orange ones.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Lilium Pearl Lorraine. It disappeared two years ago and then - pop! - it's back!

Lilium regale - the classic.

Raspberries string to produce!

Lilium Dimension - another I thought had disappeared.

Saponaria bouncing bet in white. It took many tries to transplant this from my former house, which I really wanted to do since it's out of commerce. Once I succeeded, it took off.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Here's one to try: The Lily Garden, http://www.thelilygarden.com/, this is a small company owned by an expert and lily breeder (whatever you call them). The plants that I have gotten from them have been uniformly wonderful. I see they have some bad reviews, so I'm not sure what's going on there. They are definitely a low-tech company so you have to be willing to deal with that.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

momlady -- I tried the website you posted and received an error??

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

My phlox are blooming now. I want to get other colors.

Thumbnail by weeding
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

If you go back in the reviews on Garden Watchdog you will see that I made my third purchase from them in 2003, when I first reviewed them. They were my source of most of my early lilies, although they were very expensive. That was back when Anastasia cost $42 for three. Some of Judith's plants were mainstays of my early garden. From a 2007 pic: Rosepoint Lace and Ariadne. Brushstroke (3rd picture), White Henryi.

But many of the ones I tried to reacquire were not available, and The Lily Garden has remained very expensive while other of similar quality and far greater choice have sharply reduces their prices. I strongly recommend B& D Lilies:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/66/

They are top 5 for lilies, their variety is outstanding, and I have ordered from them since 2003.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Donna - Beautiful lilies you have shared.

Weeding - You are way ahead of me with those phlox. There is a soft pink that is really pretty and "David" (the white one) is awesome, too.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from brendak654 :
You are way ahead of me with those phlox.

Me too 'brenda' except for one always early blooming compact variety called "Minnie Pearl". It reliably flowers about 3 weeks ahead of my next flowering phlox.

Thumbnail by rouge21
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

http://www.thelilygarden.com/
Take out the extra comma at the end.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous lilies, Donna. They are all beautiful but the combo of Rosepoint Lace and Ariadne really stands out for me.
Weeding, I cut down almost all my phlox this year. They were full of powdery mildew which is a first for me. They may come back but I doubt they will flower anytime soon.

A few lilies are opening here too. (The lily beetles are really bad this year).

1. I forgot about buying this lily. I still don't remember buying it but I know it was this winter.
2. Another I picked up this winter at a flower show. I guess I bought both at the same time.
The next three are dwarfs I tried from Mamajack's last year. The size is nice. I like the orange one the best. Not crazy about the pink ones.
3. Lily Tiny Diamond
4. Lily Tiny Robin
5. Lily Double You

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Your lilies are all beauties.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I had been thinking not to have any lilies at our new house, but y'all's lilies are gorgeous!! I am starting to jones for lilies. I love those flowers. I will try B&D Lilies, and as a bonus, Port Townsend is near where I live. Shipping should be very easy on the bulbs.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I particularly like the 2nd lily, Loretta.
I was checking out MomLady's B&D listing and lo & behold,
it looks like your lily is listed as Café Noir Asiatic Hybrid.
Not sure if it's really the same one, but looks awfully close.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wee, it's a dwarf though. I think it might be Tiny Padhye. That might ring a bell. I do like that one out of all my blotchy lilies. Not sure if we'll see the other blotchy lilies because of those lily beetles.
Momlady, if not lilies, then maybe daylilies? They are getting ready to go off too. I've never been crazy for daylilies but I do appreciate them in the landscape. Or there is always hydrangea. It's a good year for oakleafs around here. I have to update the photos before I upload more.

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, Loretta, I love your oakleafs. I grew them with great success in Lake county in hot bright sun, (i did use a soaker hose) and they bloomed like mad. I also burlapped them in the winter. I had a Snowflake, an Alice. I did get five gallons. Here, I got smaller plants, and taking the same steps, and giving them more shade, they are really disappointing. I bought them smaller, and I think that's part of the problem. There is virtually no bloom, and two of my three are not getting bigger after four years. I actually added viburnums instead of adding more.

Bummer - I reall

Hi Loretta,did I see that you have a lily planted in a container?All are beautiful.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Loretta - Love the oakleaf - they are one of my favorites.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Cytf, I think Loretta's dwarf lilies would be perfect for a container. I was thinking of doing the same. I rarely put lilies in the landscape since they're always eaten by deer - usually before blooming, of course. So I think I'll put a couple of those cute dwarfs in a sunny spot on the porch where the deer won't get them.

Edited to add that I'm even more excited about that lily now that you tell me it's dwarf. Perfect for my container. Is it commercially available or just from a lily hybridizer enthusiast?

This message was edited Jun 27, 2016 7:11 PM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Here you go!

Hallson is great! I have ordered many lilies from them. They have a bunch of dwarf lilies, as you can see. Watchdog top 5. And cheap, cheap, cheap!!!!!!!

http://www.perennialnursery.com/dwarf-asiatic-lilies/

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Also dwarf orientals!

I love these guys.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow, thanks Donna. 3 bucks, pretty amazing!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Once I discovered them, I started ordering lilies in three's! NO ONE is cheaper. If they have what you want, they are unbeatable. No more paying $7-8 for a single lily.

Three Sorbonne, three Crystal Blanca. Each trio priced at about $6.00!

This message was edited Jun 28, 2016 8:12 AM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Donna, do your growing tips overwinter in zone 5 for the oakleafs? That oakleaf in the picture is Snow Queen and I got it mail order size as a single stalk cutting. By luck it survived. Alice did not. I would say I am averaging 2/3's success with my oakleafs. Snowflake is the one to have though as the blooms go on a long time - if you have room.

Yes, I do have lilies in pots because I haven't committed to where I want them and then I wasn't sure which was which. The first two are new, the third is in the ground at my community garden plot and the last two overwintered in pots being buried in the ground for winter. That is because I needed to redo and didn't want to commit. Some are grouped in 8" pots but some are singley in 6 inch pots and they did surprisingly well. Actually, I bought most of the last three for Mother's Day last year and then we didn't see anyone so I got stuck with them all.

Donna, your lilies look fantastic. Do you have to stake them? And thank you for the link.

Hi garden buddies, here are my lilies , I do not know there names but I enjoy them. .lol I know that the last picture is the Easter lily that I got as a gift from my girl friend and brought from my previous home.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Beautiful!!!

And I can ID your second one. It's Royal Sunset. It's so sound I grow one I was given THREE years ago in a pot, throw it into the back of garage at the end of the season, sometimes forgetting to give it any water, and it comes back every year.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think the fourth one is Elodie. I always wondered if it looked as good as the pictures and it does! I love them all but I'm partial to the first one. It is very cheerful!

Quote from DonnaMack :
Also dwarf orientals!

I love these guys.
I too can vouch for Hallsons, they're great! I've ordered from them and was very pleased.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2016 1:55 PM

Thank u DonnaMack and Loretta for the names of the lilies. I took note .

My poppies are blooming so beautiful,I will make sure that I scatter seeds through out my garden in fall.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.