How to propagate Oxalis Zinfandel and Molten Lava

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I thought I heard a note of sarcasm in Robin's tone when she wrote that note. Robin>? Was I right? I wondered, so glad that Oxdrift said it is possible to have a wild cousin. Thanks Ox.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I thought I heard a note of sarcasm in Robin's tone when she wrote that note. Robin>? Was I right? I wondered, so glad that Oxdrift said it is possible to have a wild cousin. Thanks Ox.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

No sarcasm there, who am I to question what grows fervently in Seattle from such a knowledgeable gardener. I totally believed you but would have never guessed if you hadn't said anything. Those are the priceless bits that I keep picking up. That's why I hang around you smart people...so I can bring you down to my level. Nah, it's so I can be raised up to yours.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, Robin a pat on the back? Thanks, but I am not as smart as you seem to think. Gee, maybe I am finally fooling someone. Ya think? The folks on here are very knowledgeable. I think it goes with interest. In other words, Your level of knowledge about something depends on your interest in that particular oxalis. See, I am not even sure I spelled it right. I did buy a purple one, don't even know it's name (?) from Logees for Sharon one time, and I kept it around here so long before sending it to her that I think it must have died either en route or soon after. And she is too nice to tell me about it happening.

Going to read a bit and go to bed. 'nite you all

Oxdrift, Canada

I planted my 40 foot wall planter today. There are 5 8 foot sections each divided into 3 smaller sections for a total of 15 sections. I have attempted to take a picture of my record of how I planted it for your information and as well to have a permanent record since I have a feeling this may be a plan that I will want to repeat. Hopefully you will be able to read it. Will follow up with pictures in a month or so.
Keith

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

There's Oxalis and then there's oxalis. I've not grown fancy forms but do have the pink with corms. Mine are well behaved, blooming in spring and going to sleep in summer.

What really caught my attention was your Himalayan snow photos. Wow!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Keith, I meant to tell you what I do when near the end of the season and the Petunias are getting leggy "mangy", I cut them back and give them a heavy dose of fertilizer and they are good to go until they get frozen out.

Also, Gypsi, can't remember, is she on here? A friend of mine takes cuttings from a lot of her geraniums and shoves (literally) them all in the same little clay pot and waters them and puts them in my sister's greenhouse for the winter and forgets about them. My sister does not heat the gh overwinter. Believe it or not, they are all rooted and ready for new pots in the spring.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

One more thing, Keith, how many plants do you have in the pot of Purple Millet? It is gorgeous. Beautiful picture. I plant the purple millet too and love it. This year my nephew sent me a flower gone to seed, of one that looks just like the Purple Millet. So I have a lot of it. Thing is, the information he sent with it says the seeds are normally not viable. Will see how it does for me. If It grows I will send you some. Jen

Oxdrift, Canada

Jen: didn't get your question about Gypsi not knowing if she us on here???? I'm kind of new, isn't everybody welcome on any thread. Secondly I couldn't remember how mainly millet I had in that pot and a lot of people have asked that question. I replanted that pot today and there was only one root that I had cut off last fall. I use a lot of Plant Prod 14-14-14 slow release fertilizer
Also I live in Canada so you can't send me seeds. One of us or both will be getting locked up
Keith

Keith, that plan looks fabulous. I'll be right here waiting for the pics in about a month. Is this your first time growing Gazania?

Jen was just giving some info to Gypsi about losing her Geranium cuttings (from another thread). Jen didn't know if Gypsi would read the info here.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Darn! lost my thread.

LOL, No Keith, I wanted to tell Gypsi about the geraniums my friend was propagating because she lost hers. Of course everyone is welcome. Don't know what I said that would have given you that idea. Thank you Robin. No, Now, I will go to the propagation thread and talk to Gypsi.

Keith, I thought I can send seeds to you, just not plants. I ALWAYS mark my stuff SEEDS on the outside of the envelope. I retired from U.S. Customs. Do you think I would try to slip stuff by them? Come on!!

It made sense to me Jen, Gypsi would have gotten the information if she reads this thread. There's no evidence she does but who knows. Your friend has it all going on, propagating stuff that easily...kind of sounds like Keith and Joeswife.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I couldn't remember if I had seen Gypsi on here or not. Anyway, thanks Robin. I went over to the propagation forum and wrote to her. Just shaking my head over a misunderstanding like that. Weird.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I couldn't remember if I had seen Gypsi on here or not. Anyway, thanks Robin. I went over to the propagation forum and wrote to her. Just shaking my head over a misunderstanding like that. Weird.

Oxdrift, Canada

Robin: I have grown gazania for years, but usually I plant them in beds in the ground , never in a container before. I have a succulent bed at one end of the house that I usually intersperse a few gazanias for colour. Picture below.
Jen: wow, I'm not reading you right at all. Sorry. Also did not know you were a retired customs agent. I have ordered seeds in the mail from legitimate mailorder seed companies but I didn't think I could bring over unpackaged collected seed, but if you have worked for customs you would be more in the know

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

No Keith. Just because I worked for Customs does NOT mean I know all the laws so don't quote me, or mis-quote me. I said I THOUGHT I could send seeds. That is why I label them on the outer envelope. If I am wrong they will stop them. Plain and simple. My job was not an inspector. Therefore I do not know all of that stuff.

All I said was I would not try to slip something by them.

Oxdrift, Canada

Preliminary result photos:
This project is not really photographic yet however since it has narrowly escaped destruction from frost and a hail storm I decided to post preliminaries. All the coleus were froze through floating row covers about two weeks ago and needed to be trimmed back but are coming back. We also just barely missed a viscious hail storm. I have planted the in ground bed in front with taller annuals than usual including Love Lies Bleeding, Mahogany Splendor Hibiscus and a red , yellow and orange dinner plate dahlia. I will post more pics as things develop
Keith

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Looks great Keith. Wonderful design. You got a freeze, we got high heat. You just missed hail ad we had high winds with 115 degrees of heat. I could hear my plants screaming. It appears the worst is over. The high today was 112 degrees, heading toward a cool down of double digits. Happy Gardening. Everything looks great. Looks like you have a 12 man crew. Sharon in hot but no humidity Las Vegas...

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Sharon, not quite late for you. But, I am trying to stay up late tonite so I can sleep in tomorrow and not have a bad sleeping. Does that make sense? Anyway, here I am.
we have some nice weather. They keep saying thunder storms and lightening, but nothing so far. Except for the lightening, the rest would not be bad. we don't need fires. Anyway, so far other than it's going from 50 one day to 80 the next, ours has not been bad.

It is almost midnight so thinking it is time to go to bed. Been waiting for it to bet late so I can get tired and sleep tonight. Think I will give it a try. ttyl, nite, jen

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Keith the plants look fine! The cold weather only "pruned" them, thanks to your hard work to protect them.
So, seems to me it was worth it.

Oxdrift, Canada

Updated photos taken today. As usual didn't load in the correct order.
1). Planting layout #3 from above
2). Overall view
3). Planting layout #2 from above. Gazania is a little overpowered
4). Planting layout #4 from above
5). Planting layout #1 from above
Not real happy with the result. I got a little too carried away with yellow. More red and orange would have had more punch

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Oxdrift, Canada

PS. The plant layouts were further back than I realized. Refer to Post #10229047 for names of plants in each layout.

Even though you're not quite happy with it, it looks stunning and very, very sunny! Great job Keith!

Oxdrift, Canada

Thank you Robin. Will just tweek a few things next year.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Everything came back great from your troubles this spring. I like it. I have a bit too much orange this year myself.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Quote from oxdriftgardener :
Well it looks like the upload went OK. Should have also included this one that shows what I have been using the oxalis in up to now. I don't know if you have been seeing any of my other posts but this photo is the one that I won the 2015 DG calendar photo contest with. This is a set of 2 concrete hexagonal planters at the front corner of our house. Foreground is the lower of the 2 planters with the Zinfandel oxalis spilling out to the left with Purple Millet in the background and I have forgotten the variety of yellow agyranthemum. If you can blow it up enough you can just see a bit of the Molten Lava oxalis in the back pot just to the left of the Purple Millet

Keith ~ That is just beautiful! I really like your arrangement. How hardy are those oxalis? Were you able to multiply them by corm or cuttings?

Quote from Pistil :
See, if you had to take care of the garden you couldn't go hunting!
I grew up in Ohio, zone 5. There a dandelion was a small lawn weed, actually sort of pretty. They were very common, our neighbor had us kids gather the blooms to make wine. At the end of the year I did not have to weed them out of my vegetable garden, because the ground froze deep enough they were killed (the seeds are another story). Anyway when I started gardening here in Seattle, imagine my surprise-a dandelion left over the winter simply continues to grow, becoming rather shrublike! And, here I have to mow my lawn in December, resuming in February. I am already tired of it, and it's barely April!
What a silly thing to whine about. Actually it's real nice here. I am sitting here with all the windows open, in a tee shirt. 80 degrees tomorrow! It usually doesn't get that hot until August.

Pistil ~ What flowers are in those pictures?

Oxdrift, Canada

Evelyn
Those oxalis do not have corns but they reproduce wonderfully from cuttings. They are not at all hardy here. This year I was not able to get any of the Molten Lava so am going to have to substitute something else. I saw something that might work yesterday at a local greenhouse. I believe it was a type of lysmachia but very different than what I am used to

Oxdrift, Canada

Evelyn
This is the Lysamachia that I found locally that I may replace the oxalis Molten Lava with

Keith ~ That is very pretty!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.