Euphorbia needs urgent help

Christchurch, New Zealand

I have a euphorbia, what kind I don't know. In the three years I have had it, the branches have slowly got more dried up and dead looking. When I first had it in my little greenhouse it put out a lot of tiny insignificant looking flowers, but since then has looked more and more miserable. I have moved it to a cooler spot, I have given it more water and less water. What should I do to save it? It's obviously quite old and I don't want it to die.

Thumbnail by Greyway Thumbnail by Greyway
Menasha, WI

Greyway, At this point, I would take the plant out of the pot, look at the root system to see how healthy the root system is. There could be a problem there where to much water was given at one time and the roots have not ever recovered from rot. That's where I'd start to salvage the plant. Let us know what happens. cll

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

Water them

Decatur, GA

If the stems are firm I suppose it's still alive but the picture leaves some doubt. If the stems are firm I would do what cll suggested and remove it from it's present growing medium and see if there are any roots. If there are or if there is no apparent rot in the base of of the plant I would repot it in a very fast draining medium (1/2 perlite or the equivalent) Stay away from a sandy soil mix as they tend to compact. Also avoid a peat based potting mix. I use ground bark and perlite. Keep the plant warm and don't water it for a week or more and then start by watering lightly but avoid wetting the base of the plant. Always allow the soil to dry out between waterings. Hopefully as spring progresses it will show signs of growth. Send more pictures.
If there is rot cut it off and use ground cinnamon to treat the cut end. Then proceed with the planting. Be very cautious with the water. Euphorbias are very sensitive to watering in the winter and some plants can actually go months without any.
Helen

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Hate to be the storm cloud in the room but I think its dead.

Decatur, GA

Quote from DaisyPlantLady :
Hate to be the storm cloud in the room but I think its dead.

I wouldn't be surprised.

Christchurch, New Zealand

Thank you all. I have cut off lots of dead roots and repotted in half crushed bark and half perlite, in a smaller terracotta pot which should dry out quicker. There are some live shoots on it so it's not all dead. I'm in New Zealand, so it is now autumn; maybe I'll bring it into the house in winter,which will be warmer than the unheated glasshouse. Right now it's still pretty hot, 26 to 28 deg. Celsius, and up to 50 deg Celsius in the glasshouse.

Decatur, GA

I'm glad to hear there is life there.
I think your plan sounds reasonable. Keep it warm and provide little if any water during the darkest winter (summer?) months.
To ID the plant you might try pursuing this site.
http://www.euphorbia.de/indexe.htm

Menasha, WI

Greyway, I was hoping to hear good news. Be patient. I'm always surprised by the toughness of succulents. Good luck to you and your rescue. cll

Menasha, WI

Greyway, I was hoping to hear good news. Be patient. I'm always surprised by the toughness of succulents. Good luck to you and your rescue. cll

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.