Plant Propagation: The Basics Spring 2016

Fort Worth, TX

On request from Kitt whose phone can't do 11 pages, this is our new propagation thread. Will link back to the old one, hope we don't lose anybody.

Ju, Mingles still has a buddy. 2 cats is good, more were too much work for me.
(says the lady with 5 dogs who do not use the litterbox)

Debra - good that your house is getting fixed. I think at least one environmental group is suing the fracking industry for water contamination. Some awfully nice neighborhoods in Edmond Oklahoma are falling apart, suspect their Homeowner's Associations might file suit soon. There may be a class action suit you can join.

Robin and Ju stay warm. Kitt here is your thread drive safe wherever you wander. And don't forget the back porch. I'll post a photo of a pond or waterfall or water lily a day to keep it alive. Ya'll have to help. Geese flying north last spring, I could hear them easier than I could see them, very high up.

Thumbnail by Gypsi
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

That's a really good kitty shot Ju. We had a few inches snow and rain yesterday and a few more today. Temp is 37...waiting for spring.

I'm so glad the basement work is almost done Debra, the day it's done will evoke a big sigh of relief. After the clean-up and reorganizing is done, all will be good in the world again (relatively of course). Having even parts of the household upset is stressful.

On the up side, your track record for getting through trying times so far is 100%.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I'm following along ,, not a bunch to say for now

Robin ,,, That look saying ,, No you don't I know what your doing ,, something like that ,,

This message was edited Feb 25, 2016 1:41 PM

Gypsi, I'm not having fun with three cats and two litter boxes. I throw on my dust-mask and scoop everyday...blah.

Fort Worth, TX

Robin, I have had up to 5 cats, and I have a giant litterbox that my kitkat had to have to fit in it. But I just don't have time to cuddle and enjoy them, and the 2 I have have feline herpes, the male got it as an adult and still sneezes, so I am letting the cat colony wind down. My female will curl up with a dog if the dog is quiet and still enough, she is only almost 7 years old. Not worth making another cat sick to bring one in to be her company, and a cat that will put up with a houseful of big dogs and the occasional chasing toddler is a special cat indeed.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Some of what I meant by Feline .. itis ,

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Feet are up for the night in Allentown, Pa. Rains have the areas flooding and small bridges out, but I am done for the day. No plants blooming here yet, but the rain to snow to rain only has the farmers happy, chuckl

Wow five cats Gypsi, you've had it all going on. I'm a bit jealous. I really like your responsibility factor about reducing chances of infection. My hat's off to you!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the new thread Gyppsi. I was beginning to wait for those chicks in the incubator to start laying. Bet they are big by now. I sure hope you all are right about law suits for the fracking. They are destroying our atmosphere just to profit from the oil, coal, and gas profits.

Deb, you are going to be taking pictures for us this summer when everything starts growing and blooming.

I think it depends on the breed of dog that you have. as to how much work they are, but even at that cats take cleaning a litter box and feeding. However, so far my dog has cost more at the vet than the cats. My Candy is almost to pass me in medical bills. I get flue and pneumonia shots, whereas I can't even name most of the shots she gets. Just an example.

But, can't give them up. When I am the only one here, the animals are here to give me company.

Is Granny agreeable to keeping 2 JU? I think she has a say in that too doesn't she? How are your sisters JU? Haven't heard how they are lately. Well, watching these clowns on TV debating each other and all they are doing is trying to talk over each other so nobody knows what either one says.

Fort Worth, TX

5 cats were not on purpose Jnette. When my kids moved out they left their pets, the neighborhood feral dropped a litter off, and well that's just how it was, like Ju I found homes as quickly as I could.. I started fixing the ferals in 2006 to stop the birth rate and slow down the population growth in my house Everytime my neighbor found a litter on her porch she would call me and tell me she found my cats. (mine are all fixed, she knows that) When the ferals slowed down (and JUST before another litter turned up) my granddaughter told me my old cats (down to 2 by then) were boring. So off to the pound we went and adopted 2 kittens. One stayed to get neutered, he brought the feline herpes home, and his sneezing infected all the cats. He eventually wanted to live outdoors and went to be a barn cat at a friends where it was safer from coyotes. the female I still have, she is 7 now, and only one of my old cats is still around, he will be 11 in April (approximately, he too was a feral) I have had as many as 9 kittens from 2 litters in my house at one time, made life interesting when company came, that's for sure. The trouble with tribbles all over again

This message was edited Feb 25, 2016 10:49 PM

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I can sure understand that Gypsi. Yes, not only when the kids leave home they leave their animals, but after they are gone they bring more back. I've seen it over and over. Yes, the ferals always seem to be dropped off to people that have barns don't they? They seem to feel that the owner of the barn cannot find their own cats so they drop theirs off as a favor. LOL Not funny, I know.

Went down and had another test today. A cat scan with dye. I finally got tired of waiting for the radiologists to get around to telling me if they could read them or needed a do over and got up and told them I was leaving. Bout gave all the nurses a heart attack. But had had enough.

So, it's been a long day will write more tomorrow. ttyl,

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Examples of propagation, some to untangle, others to watch grow

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kitt love the seedlings sprouts , African elephant tree ,, or something art ,,

Some of mine

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Red Skeleton babies! Tree is believed to be ulmus glabra v Camperdownii ( and not a rest area joke) from a Wyche elm in Dundee. I am still trying to peel the grafts backwards in time for specifics, but ppl keep yelling 'graft' and bailing, chuckl. I was looking at those sprouts of mine and asked dau to put out the sluggo tomorro. They should be, back row? Hollyhock, occ clumps sunflower, and overall zinnias. Waiting for others to pop- and hoping!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

There are few things sprouting here ,, not much planning ,,,
Bok Choi , onions , those above are mostly flowers

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Another shredder in the works , here is the blade

Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, are you going to have all those shredders going at once JU, or are you going to sell them?

Gypsi, the pictures of your friends, all the dogs and cats are really cool. Very nice. so nice to see them getting along. JUst goes to show they can if they have to. What do you do with all of your dogs when you are gone all day?

Really enjoy seeing all the rest of the pictures. Love the sprouts etc ju. I am not going to start any of mine until next week. And those will be some odd ball things that I would not put outside. Some fancy begonias. etc. for houseplants. BTW, Logees has a really cool bamboo in their catalog this week and it would make a great container plant. Just might. . . . . . .

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen I plan on giving a few of them to someone around here , When they work like their suppose to

Jen , The Bamboo Ginger ? I learned there , because I did not know , that a ginger was a form of Bamboo

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Really!! I had no idea they were related. Altho, I have a ginger, think it was, nope can't remember who gave it to me. Anyway, come to think of it, it could be a bamboo. When I was in the hospital one time it didn't do so well, and got tossed out. When I got home I salvaged a piece of it and got it going again. But, yeah, it could be. Whoever you give them to JU will be very lucky. jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I'm sure that was Gita. Been a while. I wonder if she knows it could be bamboo. How many Gingers are there that are edible JU? And may be eating bamboo? Did the time change today? Someone asked me that yesterday. I really was kind of shocked 'cause I think it is normally later. But at 4:30 today it was still really light out.

Do all the Gingers belong to the Bamboo family JU? Or do just a few?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Not yet time change, just Spring pushing winter out. I think those may all be zinnias upon study- not home to dbl ck.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, I am going to try to start some seeds next weekend. I think they will all be some houseplants, some plants that take longer to germinate than others, because it is way to early to start things like tomatoes etc. Those things that take 6 to 8 weeks before end of frost date. It will be fun to see some of those things come up too.

I have found something different to plant my tomatoes in today. You know those small bottles that Insure and Boost come in? I am going to plant my tomatoes in those. Will be interesting to see what they do. I tried them in water bottles last year, but they still were too big. So, we'll see how these do.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, I am going to try to start some seeds next weekend. I think they will all be some houseplants, some plants that take longer to germinate than others, because it is way to early to start things like tomatoes etc. Those things that take 6 to 8 weeks before end of frost date. It will be fun to see some of those things come up too.

I have found something different to plant my tomatoes in today. You know those small bottles that Insure and Boost come in? I am going to plant my tomatoes in those. Will be interesting to see what they do. I tried them in water bottles last year, but they still were too big. So, we'll see how these do.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen there are a lot of types of gingers , Have to do a bunch of reading to find the medical type if that is what you want to grow , To difficult for me ,
Tomatoes are few days yet . 22 degrees tonight 13 the chill ,, it was 70's day before yesterday ,, cold , is cold , is cold ,,
Do have a few Camphor Basil starts doing okay , the Bamboo still growing , but the paste and jelly super seed starters still need some work ,, Two Amaryllis

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

So, is Propagation a stuck thread? Back Porch is functioning even if a chinese puzzle type of way.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

They look sturdy Ju! They are trying! OK- throw the dice, threads are dating...

This message was edited Mar 5, 2016 6:25 PM

Yes they do look good Ju!

Dice are thrown Kitt.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I'm not rolling dice here for a while , all to, likely to roll Craps lately
I have lettuce outside sprouting also , so I will plant more this week ,
A few bags of starter mix I will have to go get ,
Thanks all , Yay we can yak at each other again lol

Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, that snow is insulation for them. If it snows enough, they will be fine even if it gets pretty cold. It will only snow when it is warm enough to, if there is a cloud cover. Usually cold at night, but you have had really extremes. 70 during the day and 22 at night?? That is wild. jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JU, that snow is insulation for them. If it snows enough, they will be fine even if it gets pretty cold. It will only snow when it is warm enough to, if there is a cloud cover. Usually cold at night, but you have had really extremes. 70 during the day and 22 at night?? That is wild. jen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Weather is weird here Jen ,
I was all around today , Looking things over , Two new bags of potting mixes , Two bags of cement ,, Mulch over my head to grind up .. pots to do , plants to plant ..
Inside are a few things ,
1 amaryllis
2 Camphor Basil
3Amaryllis
4 Bamboo
5 same Bamboo

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, hey JU, they are all up!! What more could you ask for? That is what I am going to do may start over the weekend. I have a hair appt. and a dr. appt. the next 2 days so that's out. Friday the dr. will read my test results and tell me what is wrong with me. Hope it isn't real bad news.

You don't have those outside do you? Or, maybe just during the day for light?

Sure glad you posted those pictures JU. That makes this a propagation thread doesn't it? Guess I had better go up and delete the rest or maybe take it to the back porch since it doesn't really have anything to do with prop. If I take all that out I won't have a post left. Guess I will leave the first paragraph in and delete the rest. Gosh today is the 9th and nobody has posted since the 7th? Wonder where they all are. OK , will talk to you on the back porch. See ya over there, jen

Hi Jen and Ju, do you guys have a link to the back porch to help a girl out?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1417152/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1417152/

Here Mipii...
Ky rain fallin today, daffs are in full blooms!

Fort Worth, TX

it is spring - and I have to go to work. still sorting out the refrigerator stratification project with Robin's help, I owe I owe, it's off to work I go

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Jen those above are usually on the windowsill , It is still raining so I might go to the garage later ,,maybe the grinder and some pot repair ..

Thanks for the link Kitt. I sure don't mind cosying up with a fire. We've got rain and things are just poking through the soil here.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Gosh Robin, I am so sorry. I just thought you maybe had enough threads/forums and didn't want another. Sometimes things are like that. That was really rude of us not to at least ask.

Wonder how Sharon is. Wonder if they operated. She really didn't say what was wrong and what they were going to do.

Well, think I will call it a day and go to bed early. We have to leave early and it is always a long day when we go there. ttyl, 'nite all. jen

Jen, you and anybody else on this thread are certainly not rude and have nothing to be sorry about. There's also nothing wrong with me putting my big girl pants on and asking.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, ok Robin, I understand. Guess we all are so used to people just posting that we weren't thinking. Anyway, this, Backporch is kind of a chat forum, a catchall of things anyone wants to talk about. So, if you have any things you are interested in and haven't been brought up, put your big girl pants on and spit it out girl. We would be glad to discus it. Actually, when the topics lag, we need new things to talk about. Soooooo,just speak up and have at it. jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.