Crassula propagation

Valley Village, CA

Today I took off the heads of C. pseudohemisphaerica, whew that is a big word. This is a species of Crassula that clusters. I spayed them really well with Safer's to clean off any possible mealies that I couldn't see. Then I got my pots of soil ready, 3" pots were used, all I did was tap the bottom of the pot on the table to settle, and press my little cluster of leaves gently on the soil I had left approximately an 1/2" stem. These stems are extremely succulent. Top-dressed the top with gravel, this will help hold the plant in when I water.

The trick is the followin: Do not water until you see the roots starting to form. This is a good rule when you propagate the Crassula species. This is a winter grower and will be ready for the Huntington Garden Sale the weekend after mothers day. You must watch for mealies with this species. Norma

Valley Village, CA

This is the time of year that most Crassula are starting to grow, if so, then you should be restarting them. Crassula seem to have a short life span, then begin to look ugly and break down rapidly.They can be started new with a leaf, or stem. The seeds are minute, you should sprinkle them on top of the soil, like you are salting the steak.
This short life span is their only drawback. They are not for a lazy gardner.
Many can be grown out in the garden even in England. C. sarcocaulis, this is a mountain growing plant in Africa, it will form a tiny miniature tree. One has white flowers and narrow leaves, with white hydathodes on the edges, the other has a smaller leaf and red flowers and is more difficult to grow well. They are hardy. You may take stem cuttings, and probably, thou I haven't tried it leaf starts. This plant will not grow large, a four inch pot would be adequate. Norma

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

does this apply to the regular household jade plant?.......i would like to propogate some...also what about the jade known as the silver dollar jade?......thanks in advance.......:)

cindy

Valley Village, CA

Always wait until after it flowers, or Spring for the C. ovata, ('Jade') C. arborescense ('Silver Dollar') is really another species, and flowers at a different time. You can get these species to root down at any time however. Just take a leaf and put it on top of the soil, making sure the leaf is young not from the very bottom of the cluster of leaves on top of the stem. You may also cut a piece of stem of as well, set it on the top of a very small pot to hold up and set aside, keep watching for the roots to form at the bottom, then plant and water. Be patient, it may take some time.
I'm sure many of you may have different techniques and we would love to hear from you. How and when do you do this? I live in Cal. 'Jades' are in full flower all over the city this time of year some have a sweet aroma. Norma

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ(Zone 7a)

My crassula's will basically root at any time. I usually just place on top of the soil or I put them in sand, wait till I have roots and then I begin to water. I wait till the roots are a little bit more established before I pot them up. The ones that get rooted in sand stay in longer, until I am sure they have plenty of roots. The ones in sand get misted instead of a regular watering, to ensure they don't get drenched. This weekend I will most likely be propagating a lot of my crassula's. To ensure that I have back up should they fail to live and to give me more to trade this spring/summer.
My crassula Tom Thumb is the only one I am actually having a tough time getting to thrive. I got the cuttings from a rotting plant in walmart. ANd I have had them now for 2-3 mos and you wouldn't think that at all. While they are rooting, I have yet to figure out how to make the poor guys happy. And this is such a cute plant. Well the cuttings aren't dead yet so I have hope :o)
Holly

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

question..........how do you get them to flower...i have had number of jades....and mine have never flowered?..:(....they grow nicely but never flower......and my leaves are rooting and some are producing clusters of leaves....not just like alittle plant but a bush....lol

cindy

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ(Zone 7a)

I have not been doing this long enough to have flowers on any of my plants as I am still learning. I got my first plant in feb of 2001 and I have never had any of my succulents flower yet. I am hoping, but to me it doesn't matter because I have gotten them all for their foilage. But when I do finally get a flower I will be thrilled beyond belief. Good luck in getting yours to flower.
Holly

Valley Village, CA

Any Crassula that are in active growth at this time may be divided. Heads cut, propagated. Clusters may be divided at this time. I do notice that species, hybrids that are gray grow in the summer months.C. falcata, tecta, namquensis.

Remember some are Spring, Summer growers. You must respect their cycle or growth. Wait until you see root growth before starting to water. Norma

Valley Village, CA

C. barbata has gone dormant. Do not water this plant or mist on top until you see new growth in the summer. June-Sept. Oct l it will go domant again. In will flower in the second year.
This plant is rare, difficult to grow for beginners and the experienced. It may be self fertile, meaning you don't need another plant to produce seeds. After if flowers leave the flower stalk on, do not remove. As it dies down, it will produce a group of plants (like a ruffle) around the mother head which now dying. Leave the babies alone, as they will go dormant as well Oct l, and need to stay with the mother plant for whatever nurishment they can get from her. They will flower the second year, then die, to begin the cycle again. The first year keep in semi shade (50%)

Valley Village, CA

Any Crassula that you want to try from leaves now is the time if they are starting to grow. Not C. ovata varieties. Unless grown in the house.
Perforata (necklace Vine' 'String of Beads'
All the hybrids
Columnaris all varieties and species in this Section
Muscosa
rupestris ('Necklace Vine'
Any tomentosa types (having short hairs, bristles)

Take winter growing Sedum at this time also

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm just gonna have to break down and spend some quality time with my succulents. Learn their names and needs. I feel bad, I have these lovely plants and they've just taken a back seat to everything else. Maybe I can find out today what I really have:) If I do, I'll let you know!!!

Valley Village, CA

Now is the time to start taking of leaves, stems, pieces, for the Crassula. Do not do this with the white leaf (skin) species, C. alstonii, C. perfoliata v. falcata C. 'Morgan Beauty' C. tecta C. plegmatoiodes (Arta)
These need the heat for propagation July -Sept. All of species C. capitella varieties are starting, don't drop a leaf anyplace it will start at this time. Norma

Valley Village, CA

You get Crassula to flower by feeding them in the start of their growing season. Example: All the C. rupestris group flowers in the summer. I start feeding weekly April 1 after I water. C. tomentosa are just starting to come out of winter dormancy, I will start to feed after all danger of frost is gone about March 14. Crassula teres now barklyi I started to feed Oct 1 they are winter growers, and must not be moved, touched, transplated starting June 6 or when it gets hot. Watch for the signs, the plants will tell you. I hope I explained this well enough. Humidity has been 7% now because of the rain we have gone to 50% in one week. This makes a big difference to the plants on when I water them.

Valley Village, CA

Tiredwabbit, Crassula, 'Tom Thumb, which is a miniature rupestris x, should be started when it is cool, in very gritty well draining mix. Then give it some indirect light. Now you know I grow this pretty, neat grower, so if you lose yours, please send me a note, as long as your willing to pay the postage which should be under a dollar, I'm will to send a piece of this cutie. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.