Tomatoes for 2016

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Tomatoes for 2016

Thumbnail by weeding

What tomatoes will you be growing this year. I will be growing these. The *** means I have grown these in previous seasons.

Watermelon Beefsteak
Indeterminate, pink, heirloom that grows tomatoes to 1-2lbs

Mexican Giant ***
Indeterminate, pink, beefsteak, heirloom that grow tomatoes to 1-2lbs.

Giant Belgium
Indeterminate, pink tomato that grows tomatoes to 2lbs and sometimes to 5lbs.

Purple Calabash
Indeterminate, purple, heirloom that grows tomatoes to 2-3 inches.

Green Zebra
Indeterminate, green and yellow striped, that grows tomatoes to 1-2 inches.

Black Pineapple aka Ananas Noire
Indeterminate, black and purple, grows tomatoes to 1-1/2lbs

Old German
Indeterminate, yellow with red mottling, heirloom that grows tomatoes to 1-2lbs.

Black Prince ***
Indeterminate, purple black, heirloom that grows tomatoes that are 2 inches.
Black Krim ***
Indeterminate, purple black, heirloom that grows tomatoes to 3-4 inches.

Giant King
Indeterminate, pink, heirloom that grows tomatoes to 1-2lbs.

Mr. Stripey ***
Indeterminate, yellow with red mottling, heirloom that grows tomatoes to 1-1/2lbs.

Blue Tomato (I grew Indigo year before last)
Indeterminate, purple blue, tomatoes grow to 2-3oz.

Large Cherry Bush ( I have grown regular cherry before)
Determinate, pink, grows tomatoes to 1 inch.

Behemoth King
Indeterminate, dark red, tomatoes grow to 1 ½ to 3oz

Pink Vernissage
Indeterminate, re with yellow to green strips , tomatoes grow to 2-3oz

Tess’s Landrace
Indeterminate, red, tomatoes grow to currant size

Beauty King
Indeterminate, yellow and red strips, tomatoes grow to 20oz

Precious
Indeterminate, yellow , tomatoes grow to .5oz.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2016 12:20 PM

This message was edited Feb 1, 2016 12:21 PM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Opalka, indeterminate, open pollination,heirloom
Prudens Purple, indeterminate, open pollination, heirloom

Probably in buckets, self watering, starting seeds as soon as I get home! 2nd try for PP, I loved the ones I got before root knot nematode stalled them, Try #1 for Opalka, but a neighbor a few miles away grew them and I was hooked on their flavor.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Here will be what im growing:

Better Boy
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/158403/

Kentucky Beefsteak
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/114626/

green zebra
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53465

Stripes of yore (no plant files entry for this one)
http://www.tom8toes.com/index.php/stripes-of-yore.html

Blue Berries (no plant files entry for this one either), im seeing lots of bad remarks about this one in the reviews about either bad taste, or no taste, good thing the seed i got was just a free bonus from a friend
http://www.rareseeds.com/blue-berries-tomato/

This message was edited Feb 15, 2016 1:36 AM

Lake Elsinore, CA

Big Rainbow bi color
Hillbilly bicolor
Pineapple bi color
Cherokee Purple
Black Krim
Black Cherry
Sun Gold Cherry
4th of July Cherry Hybrid
Moneymaker
Golden Jubilee
Plum Lemon (most prolific tomato I've grown!)
Yellow Mortgage Lifter

I've got more than 100 tomato plants. I was only going for 50 but everything sprouted. :)

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm growing Solar Flare, German Lunchbox, and Mexican Midget. I didn't plant Indian Stripe or any black variety this year for the first time in many years, and I can't really give a reason why. I guess I'm putting more emphasis on peppers this year and devoted the space to new varieties of them.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I am going with

White Cherry

Vorlon

Purple Calabash

Patio Hybrid (these I am growing to sell potted in two gallon buckets)

Extreme Bush (these will be sold potted in two gallon buckets)

Red Robin (these will be sold potted in two gallon buckets)

Puck (these will be sold in two gallon containers)

Kelloggs Breakfast

Taxi

Litchi (thus one I will plant along the property line at the edge of the creek and let it reseed each year. It is said to be covered with thorns, and have a taste between a tomato and a cherry.)

This message was edited Mar 3, 2016 5:41 PM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm planting Marmande, Century, Large Red Cherry, and a couple of Rutgers. The Century is new to the garden this year.

I always wanted to try the Litchi, but I have read that the thorns are harsh.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Weeding, I've never heard of Litchi tomatoes, so I "googled" it. I found an image of a man with a welding mask on holding a shot gun and pointing it at a tomato plant while exclaiming "Drop your fruit!" lol

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have never grown it before either. I got it from a swap last year. The seed is from Baker Creek. They warn about the thorns and that is why I am planting it away from everything else at the back of the property line. I have planted twice and cannot get the seed to germinate. :(

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm growing:

Watermelon Beefsteak
Purple Calabash
Dad's Sunset

All new to me this year. My parents were demanding at least one beefsteak so the watermelon beefsteak was the closest I could get from the site I went with. Will be fun trying them all!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have not heard of that one.

Quote from greenbrain :
Weeding, I've never heard of Litchi tomatoes, so I "googled" it. I found an image of a man with a welding mask on holding a shot gun and pointing it at a tomato plant while exclaiming "Drop your fruit!" lol

greenbrain that gave me such a big laugh. lol!
I had to look for the picture.
http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25696

This message was edited Mar 8, 2016 12:01 PM

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

This year I'll be planting out Dixie Golden Giant, Dester, Climbing Trip-L Crop, Tennessee Surprise, Arkansas Marvel, Beefsteak, Mortgage Lifter Yellow, Dixie Red, Sungold, and Nebraska Wedding. I understand a big storm just blew through on my road at home (I'm at my office) so if the seedlings I left out on my back porch are still there then that is what will go into the garden. LOL!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Good to see you posting again Terri.

It's stormed here this am.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Watermelon beefsteak? The photo I found online kind of reminds me of Box Car Willie. A yellow variety of Mortgage Lifter? I never heard of that either.

One of my favorites that I will try to find seeds for once I use up the Mortgage Lifter seeds is Arkansas Traveler. I don't know why it's becoming difficult to find. The reason that I have so many Mortgage Lifter seeds is because the nursery made an error and sent me 2 packs, but only charged me for one, so I can't complain. So is Arkansas Marvel similar to Big Rainbow or Pineapple? I still have some saved Big Rainbow seeds, but decided to make the Banana Legs my yellow tomato this year. And then I have the Sungold which is my gr-d's favorite. She eats them off the vine.

I have read about Nebraska Wedding. It reminds me of a variety that my dad grew years ago. I like the color and size. I may consider that one too since I lean toward the lower acid tomatoes. Arkansas Traveler is pink & also low on acid. During the summertime, I eat an excessive amount of tomatoes.

Tennessee Surprise gave me a variety of colors when I looked it up. Is that the surprise? Each tomato is a different color? I was attracted to the name because both my parents were raised on NW Tennessee farms. I spent many childhood summers on my gr-grd and grd-parents' farms and remember their big gardens and pantries full of home canned tomatoes. They probably grew standard red canning varieties. I don't recall anything fancy. I do remember my uncle showing off a yellow fleshed watermelon. How I wish now that I would have taken some of their garden seeds to keep as heirlooms.

Yes Weeding, it wasn't the sort of image that I was expecting to find! lol

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Sweet Ozark Orange
Bread and Salt
Sungold Hybrid
Break O' Day
Chapman

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Greenbrain? The yellow melon was prob a black diamond var- they were popular in our area when my grandad grew them along the E Tx/Okla Red River area

The yellow watermelon are the best tasting to me. When I was growing up you could always find the yellow for sale alongside the red. I can not find the yellow for sale anymore.

The Watermelon Beefsteak is a varity of Tomato, thus the thread name. Not sure how melons got in the picture?

I've grown yellow ML I thought the fruit was great but the plants are kind of flimsy...not that is matters but it surprised me.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks 1lisac. Feels good to be back.

I've grown Nebraska Wedding for many seasons. Hubs' kidneys are getting worse, so we need less acidic toms. Thus the Mortgage Lifter Yellow was added to my list.

I got the Tennessee Surprise from TomatoFest. It is said to be " indeterminate, regular-leaf tomato plants that yield moderate to heavy crops of 12-16 oz., orange-yellow beefsteak tomatoes with very subtle red blushing/striping. Slightly pleated fruit contains excellent sweet, well-balanced, old-time tomato flavors. A good sandwich and salad tomato". Thought I would give it a try, said to be less acidic as well. I think the surprise might be the colors.

All you all's lists look so cool.

Growing tomatoes is so much fun! ☺

[quote="1lisac"]The Watermelon Beefsteak is a varity of Tomato, thus the thread name. Not sure how melons got in the picture?

The black Diamond watermelon was mentioned by kittrianna and I responded to it. Yes I started the thread about this year's tomatoes.

I didn't mean to sound cranky and I wasn't directing the comment to you individually. It just sounded confusing...lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Kittriana, you may be right because I believe it was a light green and dark green striped oblong shaped variety. The red ones were dark red and round.

Quote from 1lisac :
I didn't mean to sound cranky and I wasn't directing the comment to you individually. It just sounded confusing...lol

1lisac, I sound a little cranky on my responce and I apologize. I am one of the people that hate when I see a thread getting ugly and know I go and do it myself.
Sorry everyone!

Weeding you have no reason to apologize I think your response was fine. I never thought it was cranky. : )

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Sorry, it was me that led others off topic. This is an excellent thread topic. I look forward to sharing pics of our first tomatoes harvested. I especially want to know what you think of any new varieties that you've tried. Happy gardening. Spring is about to arrive!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's my set up. I'll plant out in a few weeks. Not all of these are tomatoes. I've also got some peppers.

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Too many (again) and some are too slow to mature for this area. Lost the top of the Gritmire's Pride in this weeks storms

Thumbnail by decherdt
Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

stephanietx, nice!

decherdt, what does RL, HL, etc. stand for?☺

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

...heart leaf, potato leaf, regular leaf, and now I don't remember why I was keeping track of leaf types. (maybe to compare Early Blight tolerance, its usually the biggest problem here) I did plan to alternate black/purples with red/pinks every other spot, but when I jumped the gun on 02/21, I just put out the biggest first. 02/21 was at least a week too early, but the first truss of TX Wild cherry has set a few ;-)

I've never heard of Heart leaf. Only heart shaped tomatoes?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yep, its not really heart leaf, its heart type tomatoes with wispy or willowy drooping like leaves. Need lots of support, they're so droopy. It's probably why the top of the Gritmires's Pride broke off in the storm, they just have little 3 ring cages for now. I'll put up CRW cages later when the plants are big enough

This message was edited Mar 18, 2016 6:11 AM

Thumbnail by decherdt
Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, decherdt. Makes sense now.

Thanks, I understand now.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

"weeding" could you let me know how Mexican turns out. I've been tempted to plant it but never had good luck with the big ones.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

I kept my choice of garden tomato varieties few but flavorful and highly-productive for 2016. Heirlooms are wonderful, and I like to harvest quantity as well as quality. :>)

► Sweet Ozark Orange - 8 plants
► Chapman - 6 plants
► Sungold Hybrid - 2 plants
► Break 'O Day - 6 plants

I had to include a couple of Sungold Hybrid plants. Not an old variety, but those are garden treats for when I'm out there working.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Just for a drill I planted some nine-year -old Azoychka seed that I had stashed in an unused room since September of 2007.This is saved seed and not purchased. I wasn't really expecting anything to germinate but I now have 18 healthy seedlings. I don't usually start tomato seed until New Years Day so I should have tomato "trees" by the time they're planted outside in mid-March. luckily I have a small greenhouse to accommodate them until then. I'm wondering if an additional transplant might be a good idea.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I haven't the faintest idea of which varieties I'll be growing, I mean Freda growing for me and with over 100 brand new ones from many sources including Spain,Belgium,Denmark,France,Germany ,Greece and wherever,including the US and Canada,I've got lots to chose from.

Whoa is me. LOL

Carolyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.