Anyone Have African Violet Leaves?

Leesburg, GA(Zone 8A)

Does anyone have African Violet Leaves to trade? My trade list is under 'Gloria'.
Thanks.

Hilton, NY(Zone 6a)

Gloria: I am a grower of African Violets and have over 200 varieties at the present time. I would be happy to trade with you (I've checked your trade list) for Cleome, Rose Campion, Moon Flower and Confederate Rose. If you are interested, please let me know what type of violet leaves you are looking for; Standards, mini's, semi-mini's, trailers, etc. I am also President of the African Violet Society of Rochester (NY) and have a good amount of printed material regarding AV's too. Let me know your interests.

Round Lake, IL(Zone 5a)

I had no idea there were so many varieties of African Violets, barbaratoo. I am amazed! Is there information for all these?

Jennifer

Hilton, NY(Zone 6a)

Jennifer: Yes, there are many many violets...over 13,000 registered varieties, which makes my collection of 200 miniscule. I would be happy to forward you some general violet growing information,(and anyone else who may be interested) and if you have a particular interest in some violets, please let me know (send me an email with your address). I will be happy to share a few leaves which you may start a plant from, or we can make other arrangements if you wish actual plants. It's a GREAT hobby!

Olympia, WA

barbaratoo can i join in on that mail list?

Hilton, NY(Zone 6a)

Absolutely, Quynh! Please email me your address.

Dexter, MI(Zone 5b)

I started growing African Violets last summer after buying three plants at a store. They did so well that I went out and bought special African Violet food (low in urea, which harms the leaves, I am told). I rescued two plants from my mom, and they're starting to recover. I also learned how to root the leaf cuttings and so far, two are getting tiny leaves! (There was also one that turned into green mush, so I'm still learning.)

Here are some "AV" resources I have found helpful:
http://members.spree.com/hysold/list.htm
http://www.hectorwong.com/avm/
http://www.african-violets.com/std.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/id/goldenkiwi/AfricanViolets.html
http://optimara.com/
http://www.lyndonlyon.com/violets.html

Some are commercial sites, but include descriptions of the many varieties.

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Barbaratoo,
I just recently started having good luck w/a.v.'s. Didn't know there we so many varieties, or even a difference in ways to propagate.I am very interested in learning more and being able to identify the couple dozen i have, if you're offering to share sites and leaves. I would gladly share leaves but you probably have the few that I have.
SDoglover1512@aol.com

Round Lake, IL(Zone 5a)

Someone here has been e-mailing me about AV leaves and I haven't been able to use the addy. I would like to work a trade, but....don't know if I can find this person, or someone else interested. I only have about 5 plants, but they are pretty. :)
And, I would love to have a few more varieties that I don't have.
Rookie

Cheboygan, MI(Zone 4a)

Have 37 different A V plants, But I had no idea there where people interested in them. Got several given to me. And brought the rest at local stores. Only a few have names. Will be more careful with names. Mine are very big plants and blooming very nicely.

Round Lake, IL(Zone 5a)

Okay, really....I am still in this for trading leaves, however, I am moving to a new home on April 30th and have a baby due on May 14th. If I am slow to respond, please know it is nothing personal. I really do want to exchange a couple leaves.
:)

Rookie

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, congratulations on your baby...And your new home! You have a lot on your plate, gardenrookie! Be sure to post pictures on the photo forum, okay? :o)

Would like to know how to propagate the leaves...
I have 2 of them right now.. one has a pinkish flower and the other has the dark purple/blue flower.
I just recently read about division propagation but they are not that big yet so I would like to know about the leaf prop. If you leaf prop. will they be like the parent plant?
Please email me because I don't get here the often..
icedhunny@juno.com
Thanks,
ICE

Fall River, MA(Zone 6a)

I love african violets! I have had one for over ten years (dark purple flowers) and it has a very funny shape because I just leave it alone and let it grow (it has several centers), but I actually have a question about one that I got a couple years ago, a miniature, which I repotted this past early winter (along with two other regular size), and it is just not doing much of anything. Could it be that it does not like the pot being so large? The leaves on the "old" purple one come right up to the edge of the pot but this one has lots and lots of room. The other two that I repotted are closer to coming to the edges of the pot and one of them has started blooming (a very pretty medium-dark pink). Any ideas?

Hilton, NY(Zone 6a)

ICE: Please check out the "Propogation" Forum and see my post of 3/20/01 wherein I explain leaf propogation. If you have any further questions in this regard, please email me, or if you would like printed material, send me your mailing address. Hope this will answer your questions about leaf propogation.

Hilton, NY(Zone 6a)

karenmarie:

It sounds like your miniature violet may be in too large a pot. The standard for potting violets is the pot should be no larger than 1/3 the size of the plant. Also, you may want to check your soil. Violets do not like the heavy soil purchased in stores-they like a very loose soil or a soiless mix. If you have commercially packaged violet soil, make your own mix of 1/3 soil, 1/3 pearlite, and 1/3 vermeculite. Or, for a soiless mix use 1/3 peatmoss, 1/3 pearlite, and 1/3 vermeculite. Remember to keep your soil moist but be very careful not to overwater. Any questions, or for additional printed material, please email me your mailing address.

Fall River, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Barbaratoo!

Wilmington, NC

I have 3 varieties that are so happy, Id be willing to send some leaves for postage... my favorite has double ruffled tri-color purple blooms. (very dark green foilage)
I have pics of it, it is in bloom right now.

Im offering for postage because I have too many houseplants!!
(never thought those words would come out of my mouth)

Warmest wishes,
Nicole

I would like to trade some leaves with some people. Here is my list that I have now at this time. I just received some leaves and will have the babies from them shortly I will post both list that I have.

Have now:
Yellowstone
Rosalie
Maine
Wyoming
Unknown
Uknown (lilac blooms)
Unknown (dark pink with purple on the edges) have pic of this violet with the blooms

New list:
Tomahawk
Apache shadow
APache primrose
Maciko (sp)
Ode to beauty
Harbor Blue
Sunspot

Please let me know if anyone is interested in trading.

Kerry

Pembroke, NH(Zone 5a)

Barbaratoo, I would love some info on your trailing African Violets.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I just rescued an African Violet from the "last chance" table at Home Depot. It had been part of their Valentine flower gift display. All of them were sitting in water in decorative vases with no bottom holes, so were in really bad condition. Most of them had some kind of weird mold on them. This one had a BUNCH of pink blooms that had survived. To make a long story short, I brought it home, drained the water off, cut all the dead ugly stuff off and saw it was full of buds. Now she's sitting on my computer in the window where the sun won't hit her. My question is (finally!), the large bottom leaves are soft and droopy, but all the center leaves, where the blooms are, are crisp and growing up. Should I cut off the droopy leaves or will they recover? It probably goes without saying that this is my FIRST African Violet, and I am so in love with these plants. I will be reading as much as I can about them (AV 101) but I would like some quick advice so I can save this one. Thanks.
Pati

Clermont County, OH(Zone 6a)

Barbaratoo I too would love to have some of tht info on these wonderful plants. Just like patischell I'd like to know if I should remove the droopy leaves? Any info would be great.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 5b)

I'm no expert, but in my own experience with AVs, if the droopy leaves don't bounce back after being watered, then they're probably too far gone to come back at all. At that point then I remove them so the plant can send its energy into the other leaves.

If the leaves are consistently getting droopy, then you may have other problems that need to be addressed.

Hope this helps!
Heather

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I have African Violet leaves and/or babies I could trade...
most of mine are just "no names" Wal-Mart specials but they're still pretty and most important- healthy.
I just started growing them this past fall and I am loving them!
They really have gotten me through this winter!
I have some minis and several that are really easy to get to bloom. I have some pics for those interested.
I really want a "Lamb's Ear" or any of the super minis ,just email me if you're interested. Phot is not mine but is of one I have blooming now.:>)

MsCritterkeeper

Thumbnail by MsCritterkeeper

Thanks Heather, yes it does help. I think the droopy leaves are the result of TOO much water rather than being too dry. I am still waiting for the plant to get a little dryer, it had been sitting in the water for goodness knows how long. I will trim all the droopy leaves and just leave the center crisp leaves with the flowers intact. It will be wonderful if the buds open!

MsCritter, while doing my homework on AV's (reading the websites), I just discovered the mini's. They are just too precious! In the meantime, I went back to WalMart and bought two more purple ones to go with my pink lady. These came from their "good" table and a couple of leaves were broken on the ride home so I'm going to try and grow them. I think I feel an obsession coming on (LOL).
Pati

Hiya Pati,
Ah yes...they do get to be an addiction.LOL.
My daughter gave me one last year for my birthday and it was so pretty.I just knew I was going to kill it,but I didn't and my DH set me up an old metal shelf with 5 shelves on it then he put some $6.00 lights on it and now it is full! I have these little rascals in every nook & cranky in the house...too much fun.
I just knew I would kill them but they are way easier to grow than anyone would ever think. If one dies..it's no big deal cause they are pretty cheap and I always pull 1-2 leaves and put down just incase . So far so good.
Keep me in mind if you want to trade later on.
MsCritterkeeper

Lenexa, KS(Zone 5b)

I'll have to admit, I'm addicted, too! And since they aren't too expensive, it's too easy to "just get one more" because "I don't have one like this yet."

If either or both of you are interested, I'd be interested in doing some trading, but it will have to be a little while. I'm in the middle of packing to move to a new house, and then I'm having a baby in May, so I don't want to take the chance that new AVs or leaves would get lost or damaged (or neglected) in the shuffle.

I mostly have 'no names' as well. The few named ones I have were grown recently from leaves, so they are still small plants. Maybe I can trade some leaves from them this fall when they're a little more mature.
Heather

This is wonderful! I had no idea leaves could be traded. When the time comes someone will have to tell me how they are shipped. I loved the mini's because I live in a tiny mother-in-law apartment and I think I could probably have more varieties if they were small. My apartment is attached to my son's house and he has a bay window with shelves over his kitchen sink. Perfect for the larger AVs! He is a batchelor and travels in his work so I pretty much have the run of the house. He may come home next month and find it has been turned into a AV jungle. (grin)

PS to Heather: My son was born in May and we are having a HUGE party May 31st to celebrate his 50th birthday! Gemini babies are so much fun! Enjoy!!!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 5b)

Pati, I like the mini's too, but I only have one at the moment. My AV shelf is so full, I'm trying so hard not to get any more until we get settled and I will have more room to take care of them properly. It's hard, too, with the stores putting out plants for spring. At the same time, though, there so many plants I want to try now that I will have the inside and outside space to do so.

On a side note: this baby (a boy) is due May 2nd. My first son was born May 9th, and he'll be 4, so May is going to be a busy time for us all! But May is a great time to celebrate!

I am so glad to see some others share this new found joy!
I thought I had gone off on the deep end for a minute.LOL
I guess I will keep sticking leaves in the dirt for sharing.:>)
It is so much fun to see them come up and almost easier than Brugs or Bromeliads!and definetly cheaper if you don't get carried away with the "big names".
They take up so little room though that you forget they grow up.
When you guys get ready for some please email me.
Right now I have 3 trays of babies AV's in my den floor!
I love the fact that they are so easy to reproduce,
I even brought back leaves from my MNL at christmas & in the dead of winter..they are coming up now.
I'm just not sure what to do with them all. Yard sell maybe?

Good luck with your move & the new baby,keep us posted !
MsC.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 5b)

MsC, thank you for the offer, and as soon as I'm ready, I'd love to take you up on it. Sounds like you have quite the collection of babies! I bet you could definitely do a yard sale if you have that many.

But unless I get some leaves put down soon, I doubt that I'll have babies to trade, just leaves. I'll have to see what I can get started.

Just let me know when you're ready for some.
I'll be happy to share & just to find them good homes would be nice.I am having so much fun just watching them grow and learning that I don't want to stop.Slightly addictive:>)
It's nice to trade them but the fun for me is to successfully grow them.
I think I will put some in my plant sale. I am planning to clear out some stuff so I can buy some other things I want.
Take care of you & that new baby on the way...BTW:
May babies are fun..my daughter was born May 10th...happened to fall on Mothers Day that year & also my sister's B-day, too.Hubby's is the 20th!
Some of the best parts of my life happened in May!:>)

MsC

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

MsC--Oh my!! I've never seen a variegeted leaf AV before!! Do you have any leaves or starts you'd be willing to send for postage on that pretty one you posted the pic of???

Brenda

YES! I can send you a leaf of that one. The babies I have are not big enough to ship yet.The one I did have...well, Capt the African Grey parrot was out of his cage & he decided to do some gardening, too. LOL Not much left of that one.:>(

I am going to repot it here in a few days .I can pull a leaf now and send it BUT I think it might be best to wait a bit depending on your weather.??? It's your choice.
Send me your addy....

MsC.

cawston, Canada

anyone still reading this thread? I am looking for an african violet named

MUD PIE

if anyone has a plant or leaves I would LOVE to talk to you!

Anna

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Come join us in the African Violet forum!! http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/av/
Everyone there loves to trade!

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Hiya, Kpurple! I've gotten a violet from you in years past--nice to "see" you again. =)

I would LOVE to trade for your 'Apache Primrose!' At this time I have leaves of:

Cirelda
Boolaroo
Trail Along (I think I got this girl from you! I LOVE her.....my favorite)
Mac's Southern Springtime
Dresden Doll
Buckeye Butterflies
O's Little Rose Quartz
and R's Pewter Bells

If anything tempts you, LMK!

MKJ

mkj, I started reading this thread too like....where are all these av lovers coming from?? Turns out this thread was started in 2001. By the looks of her member page, I don't think Kpurple is a subscriber anymore.
I'm hoping Anna will come trade on the av forum. Have you checked there for apache primrose?

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Ah, heck--just SAW the posting dates! [redfaced] Good grief......I'm a nimnod!

I should pop over to our NEW AV forum!!! =) Been scouting to trade for A. Primrose for AGES............see you there!

MKJ

Haha I did the exact same thing! Yay see you there!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.