2016 Vegetable Garden

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

We finally moved into our own house on Dec. 14. One of the main outside selling points for me - aside from the pear, apple, and peach trees - was this big 32' square area for gardening. I don't have a tiller, and it would take forever to go thru this by hand, so I am thinking of either renting a tiller or hiring a tiller person to go thru this once for me, then I can get myself a smaller one for maintenance.

I wanted to keep the first year kind of small, so I made a seed order at Heirloom Seeds. These seeds, along with the seeds I've gotten the past year or two from trades, should be good to get me started . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

That is a RIGHTEOUS plot of land for a veggie garden!!

You hit the veggie Mother Lode, LOL!!!

Wishing you ALL, ALL, ALL the best growing your veggies in that patch of Heaven!

Linda

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Check out the Back to Eden Garden info. I don't think you'd have to till at all.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Wow, thanks for that, stephanietx! That is something I haven't heard of, and am watching videos as we speak!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

MAN would i want a plot like that, its like 4 times bigger than my garden plot, lol!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

If I start the tomato plants inside, do you think I need a heat mat, or will they still grow under the lights without the heat mat?

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is a link that may help you http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2846
Good Luck!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Awesome! Thanks

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Syru:
I find that at least 2/3 of my seeds germinate in a room about 65°F, but I get a higher percentage using a heat mat or placing the tray in a warmer spot. After the leaves emerge, 60°-65°F is fine.

I pour boiling water on my potting mix.

Sometimes I run old potting mix through the microwave to sterilize it.

I work QUICKLY to fill up my seed cells, and drop those seeds.

Then, I water them in with very WARM water, and IMMEDIATELY shove the trays into large clear plastic bags.

The bags hold the heat, and the moisture. I draw them closed loosely, with just a little ventilation, and, my seeds are usually up in 4-6 days.

No heat mat required..

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Great, thanks for the input! Now, to decide on seeds starting mix, or getting the peat pellets. Have either of you used both, and if so, which worked better?

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Got the tomato and pepper seeds started today. Can't wait to see the sprouts!

Please, keep us posted! What did you start them in?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hello everyone. I mostly hang out on the CMW forum which is usually very chatty, but pretty quiet this past week. I wandered over here looking for some good conversation and haven't been disappointed. I am suppose to start my veggie seeds this week. Hopefully, I will find time on Monday. Spring will be here soon. Happy Valentine'Day!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

I started my hot pepper seeds about 6 weeks ago in the hoop house I have set up in the garden. I grow mostly super hot peppers that I use in my jelly making - Carolina Reaper, habanero, naglah & Trinadad scorpions. I have some customers who love really hot jellies. All of them have been transplanted to cups where they'll stay until I get them into the ground - probably in a month or so.
Jo-Ann

Thumbnail by jomoncon Thumbnail by jomoncon

Those look great, Jo-Ann!

I've had some pepper seed in since January 9th, and they're not up yet. Do they really take that long?

Not usually....are you using any type of bottom heat?

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Here is a pic as of after work today. I started them in basic seed starting mix, with a layer of perlite underneath in case I over water from the bottom. The seeds in the front are Roma's and Beefsteak, the ones in the back are large cherry. I still have a few other varieties to make an appearance, but as there were only 2 sprouts yesterday, the odds are in my favor. None of the peppers have sprouted yet, but I think they take longer.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Peppers do take a long time to germinate. I use a heat mat set at 80 degrees & they came up in a week to 10 days.
Jo-Ann

Quote from Gymgirl :
Those look great, Jo-Ann!

I've had some pepper seed in since January 9th, and they're not up yet. Do they really take that long?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hello again. I found that my pepper seeds sprout much faster if I use warm water to moisten the soil. I grow them in the basement next to the furnace. Yes, they need warmth to germinate.

Ok. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if these seeds are just too old. A friend gave them to me, and, my intent was to present her with peppers. Not sure how long she had them, first.

My next thought is to bring the tray outside, in the plastic baggie, and solarize it in the sun. That'll get me some bottom heat for sure, LOL!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I checked my seeds when I came home . . . doesn't look like any new tomato plants, but it looks like 3 jalapeno (lower right) and 3 bell pepper (upper left) are working on sprouting.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I love having new sprouts; especially in the dead of winter. Nice!

This message was edited Feb 23, 2016 10:55 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here's my setup in the basement next to the furnace in an old bookcase that I lined inside with foil and mounted fluorescent light fixtures. I've been using this setup for about the 4th year now.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I found an old window screen in the garage that fits perfectly over the front to keep out pests. Though we have a house full of cats, a mouse cleaned me out once all in one night just when my plants were about ready to move outdoors. I was disappointed in losing my plants and in my cats!!!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I will be repotting my tomato seedlings . . . they are very tall already, getting their new leaves. And the smell like tomato plants already!

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Congratulations! When you pot them up bury the stems as deeply as possible, the stem will grow roots. Also, keep a fan on the seedlings or run your hand lightly over the top a couple times a day to help strengthen the stems.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Good advice about the fan. I almost forgot to plug mine in. Stayed up until 1am finishing up tax returns. So glad that you mentioned it. Need a nap.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Let's see. Today I potted up 4 jalapeno's, 6 bell peppers, 3 beefsteak tomato, 6 roma and 6 large cherry tomatoes. I left some of the bell peppers, the Green Doctor tomatoes, and the ground cherry seedlings in the original tray, so they can get a bit bigger before I transplant them.

I left the transplants outside for the late afternoon, had an occasional breeze. Now, I'm wondering, though, if I should bring them in for the night. Is supposed to get down to 45 . . . I am already chilled (of course, I am always cold!), so I probably will put them on the kitchen counter for the night.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2016 8:09 PM

Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani

Thanks for reminding me to finish my tax returns. Lol

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

They look great! I spent much of my day potting up my tomatoes and peppers. I'm not finished yet....

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I did get my seeds planted on Sunday. Now I have to remember to check them every morning and evening. I started 6 Primo jalapeno, 6 Colossal bell, and 6 sweet bananas peppers; 12 Mortgage Lifters, 6 banana legs, and 6 Sungold tomatoes; 6 Pingtung and 6 Rosa Bianca eggplants. It is nice to share with others who enjoy starting their own plants from seeds. For me it ranks up there in importance with filing my taxes. lol

This message was edited Mar 1, 2016 8:23 PM

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Tomatoes are forming already.
STUPICE - 52 days ind. - first year growing this variety
PRINCIPE BORGHESE - 70 days ind. - second year growing this Italian variety. Last year it grew like a monster plant and it was the last to keep producing !

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

The repotted peppers and tomatoes spent the night outside last night. It got down to 45, but they seem to have pulled through just fine. I am going to add water to the trays here in a bit, then will leave them outside today. It is supposed to get up to the high 60's, low 70's.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

my tomatoes are doing pretty well. my Fresno Chili peppers have just come up, and my ground cherries are doing great too. seeing some sprouts from my basil plants as well. Had them enjoying some sun in my southern window, now that the sun has moved off of them, its time to put them back under the grow light

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I am having trouble remembering to turn my grow lights off and on. This year I plan to figure out how the timer works. I may even read the instructions! lol

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I love my timer . . . things would die if it wasn't for the timer!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

Looks like my chives are taking off now. and i have beet and lettuce sprouts coming up. My garlic is also growing (yes i planted the entire bulb, i wanted it more for flowering and pest deterrence than i did for eating, lol). and it looks like most of the perennials that i started from seed last year made it through the winter, there are a couple of things here that cant be seen because they died back to the ground, but im seeing some little green nubs coming up on those.

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Not only do I have a timer for the lights, but a thermostat for the heat as well and another one for the heat mats. Next year, I want to hook up some sort of ventilation system to move the air in & out when the temps get too high. I get get temps close to 100 on a sunny day.
Jo-Ann

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My timer consists of asking my husband what time he turned the lights on and then checking to see if it's been 12 hours. Bwahahaha!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.