houseplant 'aloes- ' species vera or what

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have two Aloes. One stays small, to 4 inches or so, and you often see thee sold as small plants. I've had it for a few years and it makes a lot of offsets. It has white spots and small bumps on the edges. Leaves tend to be in a plane.

The other, I think is the real Aloe vera; it has been a single shoot and the leaves are now getting to a foot long and an inch across, very thick. The leaves circle the stem and when you look down on the plant it is a five pointed star arrangement.

What is the common little aloe that everyone sells?

My little Aloe sounds like the Chinensis that is described in Plantfiles here on March 5 2013
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1367

http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?cat_id=10&plant_id=118

This message was edited Nov 7, 2015 7:09 PM

This is the big one growing in a short six inch pot

Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

There are lots of little bumpy aloe hybrids (maybe a dozen or two anyway) that have been bred and selected for color and texture. On top of a few species that are naturally bumpy on their own. Without a picture it's going to be hard to make an ID. The bigger aloe looks like Aloe vera to me, or close anyway. Probably would benefit from a bigger pot if that would be possible.

Thanks for your input, Baja. It' enjoyed the outside this summer. Since it is coming in for winter, I will do the pot next spring. I just saw two tiny pups have started.

Of the chinensis like ones, I have one that stays very small as described above, and I brought home another from the workplace that someone left behind, with all the same looks but fewer offsets and larger in scale. Then there is this "real" vera.

So now I understand the whole 'common aloe vera ' situation a little better, I think.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.