Something different

Decatur, GA

I like weird plants and this one qualifies to me. It might be common as dirt but I still like its uniqueness and the strange little flowers it made.

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Yes, that is one strange plant. Do you know what it is? Does it have leaves?

Decatur, GA

No leaves. Just the rough textured stems.
I use to know the name and may run across it. I'll will post it then.

Pomona, CA

I have one of these plants, received it in a trade. It's name is Cynanchum marnierianum. I just call it stick plant. I've had it three years and it has bloomed every year. Not much of a plant to look at but the flower is amazing.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Stick plant is a good name for it. I love it!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

That is so cool.I just found they sell them at Grassy Knoll Exotic Plants. I feel an order must happen soon...

Decatur, GA

Writing a label as I type. I am excellent at multitasking.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

And no typos either. On my way to Grassy Knoll Exotics.

SOLD OUT! Bummer...

This message was edited Oct 27, 2015 8:28 AM

Decatur, GA

Not to worry Daisy. There will be another opportunity.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh drat I also realized they were sold out. Helen-does it self-pollinate and make seeds?

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

That is the coolest plant! Helen, if you ever get seeds and want to do a swap or a sale, I'd like to be in the line, too!

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Helen, What plants don't you have? That is neat. Thanks for posting it.

Bill

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

i just went on "trades" and whatever and found 4 people who had your "stick cactus" for trade. They are old posts (newest is 2013) so I don't know how successful I will be. And, I don't have anything to trade (sigh!).

I will keep you posted.

Daisy

Decatur, GA

I will cut a piece and see if it roots. If it will I am happy to share. I don't want to cut chunks off if their don't readily root.
I'm glad everyone likes it!

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

A knobby brown stem, little "cages" ... what's not to like!!

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Thank you Helen

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is an article on this type of plant, there are many.http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2957 Hope this helps.

I haven't had any problem getting them to root.

Decatur, GA

My plant was ID as a Cynanchum marnierianum, not a Euphorbia.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Ya, I noticed that after I posted the link. Sorry, I saw "stick cactus" and thought of these, I didn't think about the Latin name, the plants mentioned in the link are what I've always referred to as "stick cactus".

Sorry for the confusion Im wrong.

Decatur, GA

Not a prob! 1lisac.

Menasha, WI

helenchild, I just checked my Cynanchum for blooms and no luck. It has bloomed in the past and the blooms are a treat. I'm also with you," the weirder, the better." cll

Decatur, GA

cactusladylover I use MG to stimulate blooming.

Menasha, WI

helenchild, What is MG?

Decatur, GA

Miracle Grow, the common plant fertilizer.

Menasha, WI

helenchild, At what strength do you use the MG? And when do you start and end giving fertilizer? cll

Decatur, GA

cll, I use what the directions say - I think about 1 tablespoon granulated form in 2 gallons of water but thats by memory so don't hold me to it. The granules are so hydrophilic that a package of the stuff became liquid when I left it outside in a plastic container. I use 2 tablespoons of my own liquid stuff (not the form sold in the liquid form) per 1 gallon of water. Not sure if thats correlates to the dry granule strength. But anyway thats about what they get.
I don't have a strict schedule for fertilizing. I try to make sure I fertilize regularly, like say once a week, in the spring but get slack as the summer goes on. Its hot enough here things sort of slow up in the heat of the summer. But when things cool down in September I like to fertilize everything again because most of my plants seem to like to do a little growing in the fall. I always get a few flowers in September that way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.