Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Your Neck of the Woods 2015 Part 6

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Wood sprites for alter boys anyone?

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

That is sooo very beautiful!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey Sally, We have a new runner in the MAG. I wonder if she will make it to the Marathon level or try for a Tri.
Lily age 8, first 5K, Girls on the Run
Ran the entire race no walking for her.
Get ready start run.
1 mile out and still smiling
coming down to the finish line tired but still running
Wow look at that medal shine.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

How did that happen, my first two pics got switched so the start of the race is the second pic and the 1 mile out is the first pic. You can see the look of determination on her face in the third pic when she is close to the end. Jen said she kept her pace the whole way thru the race even on the 3 hills one of which was quite the challenge.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

How cute!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yay Holly, what a mighty girl!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL She did the 1/2 pint 1/2 mile at 5 but she walked as much as she ran. Then at the beginning of her GOTR training she did a 5K and walked as much as she ran. She walked more because she was running with a friend and didn't want to leave her behind. This time she put her all in it.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Just noticed on the birthdays listing that it is our own wonderful Jan's birthday today!!! Happy, Happy birthday Jan! You don't look a day over 29 :-) Hope you are having a great day.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Jan!!

Congratulations to Lily -- what an accomplishment!

Washington, DC

Lily sure has gusto. Eight-year-olds are such fun.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Way to go, Lily!!!!! Keep running.

Thanks for the birthday wishes you guys!! 29 and holding.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Have a great BD Jan.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Birthday wishes coming from this house too!
Hope you did something special!..Something awesome...

Happy Thanksgiving as well! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

that's wonderful--congrats to Lily!!
happy birthday, Jan!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday, Jan! I hope you had a fun day.

Congratulations to little Miss Lily!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

How exciting to do so well and have a medal to show for it. You all must be so proud.

Happy birthday, Jan. Hope you celebrated just as you wished.

Happy Birthday Jan!

Happy belated birthday, Jan! I hope you get to celebrate again with your family tomorrow. :)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks, you all. Jeff and I went out for dinner. Celebrated last night with the grandies from MA. Today we celebrate Miss Maggie's bday as well as our eldest son's day.
7 of the grandies will be here. YAY!!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Our official day for gardeners has begun in PA. It's practically a state holiday here, closing schools, and emptying businesses. Has anyone guessed yet? It's the first day of deer season. The cull last about 2 weeks, but today is the official day that thousands of modern hunter/gatherers take to the woods, hopeful to find targets not wearing blaze orange. I used to take part, but it got too crazy.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Maryland's season started on Sat. Report this am said the two week season took 11,000 bucks last year, down 7% from 2013.

Yep, way crazy. Traveled back from WVA one opening day and encountered a long section of 'back roads' that were lined with 'hunters' who were waiting for a shot at the deer who were being driven down from the hills and across the roads.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

IMO they need to leave the season open until "enough" deer have been culled, define deer season by numbers rather than by dates. No school today in most counties around Pittsburgh, but we had school here.

I keep saying I should get a gun and a license, just have to empty out the chest freezer first (I'm hopeful that way). I was a crack shot back in high school, pretty sure I could still manage. Maybe next year. And now there are you tube videos to help you dismember your prey... I used one last month when a friend said, hey, want a deer shoulder? sure! he gave me the whole leg, thankfully minus the hoof. It was delicious!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I love venison, and it has very low cholesterol. I've dressed so may deer, I have no idea how many. The worst was about 5-6 years ago, my BF's son hit one on the way way home from our evening get together. So here we are skinning and dressing a deer in the barn about midnight.
When I came into the house from the GH, at about dusk, I found 3 deer in the yard at the bird feeders. I shooed them off and saw one had a very lame gait, so I'll dust off my rifle in case I see her again and she is in fact wounded.

aspenhil, did you notice, today was Lucy Maud Montgomery's birthday?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

No I didn't notice Sally. Maybe it is time to do the annual rereading of my Anne of Green Gables books. Never ever get tired of them :-)

I LOVE Anne of Green Gables! And I also loved the PBS series that came on every year during the pledge drive.

Aspenhill, here's the page of Google Doodles for yesterday's Anne of Green Gables.

http://www.google.com/doodles/lucy-maud-montgomerys-141st-birthday

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I watched Anne on Sat and again on Sun as PBS rebroadcast. What a way to warm the heart and spirit, a real cap to Thanksgiving and the gratitude for bosom friends through the years and kindred spirits along the way (some of whom frequent DG and the MAF!)

The gorgeous scenery in the series can't be beat and has me dreaming of my move to Vermont. Maybe this would work
http://burlington.craigslist.org/reo/5331245369.html

I loved those books too!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I want to move to VT now!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

LOL I like that it has three RV sites with full hook ups...Would be great to have a 'tiny house' village of sorts! And that the equipment list includes a 'rock rake' tractor attachment. Blueberry bushes live a long time!

And another of my favorite blueberry picking haunts features live music while you pick!

http://www.owlsheadfarm.com/Top10.aspx
and it's looking for new stewards, too!
http://www.owlsheadfarm.com/forsale.aspx

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We will continue here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1410547/

Thumbnail by Ric_of_MAF

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.